1.    #1  
    I got my Cingular 650 a couple days ago, and I called the number and got the unlock code without a problem. My question is, is there a newer firmware than the Cingular 1.04? I've seen people with unbranded 650's say their version is 1.14. Is there any way to update it myself?

Also, is there any way at all, through any kind of hacking or messing around to up the volume levels on this thing? The volume is way too quiet no matter if you use the speaker or not.
    Wow!! My volume can be way too loud sometimes.

One question would be is does the unlock code permanently unlock the phone, or do you have to unlock it after any hard resets or firmware upgrades.
  3.    #3  
    That's a good question, I'm curious to know too if you unlock it using the subsidy unlock code if it stays that way permenantly.
    What number did you call? I have called Customer service and they took imei number and serial number and said a tech would call and walk me through the code entering process. No call yet and I leave for China in three days. Please help me if you can.
  5.    #5  
    (866) 287-6131 was the number I called. Sat on hold forever, but once the guy came on the phone he pulled up my account, I explained that I'm leaving for Germany in a couple days and want to use a prepaid SIM in Europe. I explained that I bought my phone at full retail from the Cingular store, and have had my account with them for longer than 90 days since I was a former AT&T customer. He asked how much I paid for my phone, then asked for my IMEI number and gave me the unlock code and the instructions on how to enter it. No objections or anything. Good luck.
    No once your phone is unlocked, it's unlocked. When you do a hard reset all you are doing is a hard reset on the PDA part of the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorn
    (866) 287-6131 was the number I called. Sat on hold forever, but once the guy came on the phone he pulled up my account, I explained that I'm leaving for Germany in a couple days and want to use a prepaid SIM in Europe. I explained that I bought my phone at full retail from the Cingular store, and have had my account with them for longer than 90 days since I was a former AT&T customer. He asked how much I paid for my phone, then asked for my IMEI number and gave me the unlock code and the instructions on how to enter it. No objections or anything. Good luck.
    Could you please tell all people how to enter the unlock code into the phone?
    Anybody have any luck unlocking the ATT 650, i got a code from Cingular but it won't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoa_le99
    Could you please tell all people how to enter the unlock code into the phone?
    There are two reported methods:

1. Enter *#*#XXXXXXXX#<DIAL>, where XXXXXXXX is your 8-digit code given to you by the carrier.
    2. Use a different carrier SIM, and enter your 8-digit code when prompted.

My instructions from Cingulasr were the latter. My phones are unlocked for good. I can use any SIM card.
    wasn't the original question about firmware? I'm curious about a firmware upgrade as well
    It comes up in my mind with a question that does an unlocked Cingular phone be able to flash an unlocked GSM firmware which will be posted from P1 later, or one needs to stick with the Cingular firmware.
  12. JJL
    Not that I have even the slightest amount of confidence that anything will happen on Mar. 7, but if it does, and it is an update for GSM and not Sprint, the 650 will be my last Palmone purchase ever. And I'm quite sure I won't be alone.

Sprint users have been beta-testing the 650 for almost 3 months. We better be the first to get a fix.
    Short answer is YES, you should be able to update a Cingular to the ROW (Rest Of World) generic PalmOne firmware when a downloadable update is available if you use the "Token Writer" to change the 3 letter carrier ID in the Treo. That is, as long as the way it worked on the Treo 600 still works on the Treo 650, and I believe it will.
    I could be wrong but I thought Shadowmite mentioned he now had the Treo 650 Token Writer on some other thread. The Treo 600 Token Writer won't (shouldn't) work on the Treo 650. So if you (we) can get it, that's all you should need to do the conversion.
    Check out this FAQ on the Treo 600, read the section about firmware updating:
    http://mytreo.net/treo600faq/Treo600FaqHome
    Specifically, click the link "Firmware Tokenwriter" explains how to change the firmware from one carrier to the next.
    Note, just changing the firmware from Cingular to ROW (generic palm) will not unlock the phone, it'll still be locked with a different firmare. I just had to say this because I know someone would eventuall ask.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G