1.    #1  
    I don't normally like to post but since I have gotten a lot of help from other users I thought I should also share my experience to those who may need the help.

I finally got mine unlocked. The process was quite painful.

The next day after receiving my phone, I called one of the mentioned numbers. When I gave the phone number over the phone, the cs looked up my record and said that my account was only activated a few days (I ordered my phone from younevercall.com and the phone was probably activated before shipped out and so when it got to me it was a few days of activation) and I could not get it unlocked after 30 days (1 billing cycle). Then I said I had been with AT&T for almost 2 years and as a matter of fact I still have not canceled my AT&T account yet. The cs said AT&T is not the same as Cingular and insisted that I must wait. In addition, he said that Cingular does not have the unlock information anyway and it has to get the unlock code from the manufacture. So, I just said "ok" and hang up because it was a waste of time. I did not have time to call back to try another cs.

Then later on I read from one of the forums saying that the unlock code could be provided by e-mailing to simunlockcode@cingular.com. So, I tried. But at that time I did not have my Cingular acct # with me and so I just provided other info that I had. After a couple of days I got back a reply telling me that in order to have my phone unlocked I must be a Cingular customer (I guess they did not even bother looking up the phone # to see if I'm a customer already) and must have the account for 90 days.

Then, I replied by adding the acct # but never got a reply (I forgot to take out the re: in the subject line).

After a couple days, I re-submitted the request as a new e-mail. I also wrote a brief message saying that I must get my phone unlocked because I will be traveling overseas in a couple of weeks. I also indicated that I have been with AT&T. And previously when I had T-Mobile they were willing to unlock my phone right after activation. And if I can't get the phone unlocked, I would have to cancel my service before the 30-days. So, finally after about 2 days I got back my code and a powerpoint file with the instruction of unlocking. (I'm trying to attach it here if you want to see it.)

It was a real pain but I guess there is no easy way yet. I feel glad that I finally get it; otherwise, I would have to carry 2 phones in my upcoming trip.

So, if you have not already known the process, here's the one that worked for me.

E-mail to simunlockcode@cingular.com with subsidy sim unlock code needed as the subject.

In the body of the message, include the following:

Name
    Cingular Acct#
    Phone#
    Phone Type: Palm Treo 650
    IMEI#
    Reason for request

If you don't get it in your first attempt, keep trying by adding more pressure (remember to take out the re: so that it would be treated as a new request). Hopefully, you will get it. Of course, if you don't have an upcoming trip, you can always wait the 90 days. But I still think e-mail is better than calling because it seems like this e-mail address is exclusively for unlocking and you won't have to come across with those cs who don't have enough knowledge.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I used the code in your zip file and unlocked my phone too.

I hope it doesnt explode now!
  3.    #3  
    That's interesting! I never paid attention to the code in the zip file because I thought it was just an example. I just used the one provided in my e-mail which was totally different.

Have you tried plugging in another sim card to confirm that it's actually working? If it's really the "universal code", I think many users will be very happy because they won't have to deal with the cs anymore!
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    This may be the thread of all threads if this is true. Anyone else want to try before I go out and buy a $700 unlocked from P1?

Best,

Luis
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Actually that code in the ZIP is just an example, you can put in any 8 digit number and it still tells you it's unlocked but it's actually not... the best way to prove it is swap a non-Cingular SIM in and see what it says... I know mine unlock code is not the same as the one in the ZIP and a T-Mobile SIM works on my unlocked Cingular branded 650.

It has to be unique.
    does not work, tried it and got a message sim lock has been removed but then i tried an AT&T sim and it is still locked.
    here another reason why the must unlock the phone

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=74070
    Subsidy unlock codes are unique for each IMEI. You can't just take any 8 digit number and expect your subsidy lock to be removed.

I don't know much about SIM locks, but if you want to use any SIM in your phone you have to have the subsidy lock removed. I had subsidy lock removed, and I can use TMobile prepaid SIMs on two Cingular phones.

The instructions I receive did not use *#*#XXXXXXXX#<DIAL>. It simply asked me to put in a non-cingular SIM then input the 8 digit subsidy code when prompted. It worked.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Hmmm, have not tried it with another sim card yet.

When I go into preferances/communication/network, the phone show locked, BUT modify is clickable the unlocks the phone. I go into details and fallback is set to none. Two other options are Cing GPRS or Cing CSD. Not sure what this mans though.

When I leave preferences and come back it is locked again.
    Is the IMEI # the ID number or the S/N?
    Thanks!
    It is the same thing as ESN. IMEI is the common name in GSM for ESN in other systems.

Btw, it took me a week's worth of bugging tech support to get my subsidy unlock code. I sent the same email only to get a response: "We do not sent unlock codes by email for security reasons. Please call 611." But finally in the last call to tech support I received my unlock code via email. Some security. LOL