If I'm listening to the MP3 player and the screen
    dims, I have to go through all of that junk to get
    the RealPlayer back. So if I want to scan back a few
    minutes or something, it takes altogether too much time

Also, if I'm listening and I want to scan back a bit,
    you'd think that, like on some players, there's be a
    convenient button to do that. But no, I have to use
    my stylus. Aren't any buttons mapped to common MP3
    player functions? Are any mappable at all to these?
    I don't seem to have the knack of hitting the touch
    screen without actually looking at the Treo, so using
    this at the gym is a bit of a hassle.

I'd like to listen to datastream stuff. Is there a way
    to load a voice archive file into the Treo and play
    it later?

Is there a way to play voice datastream files at all?
    (Without my current method of playing the stream on
    my Mac, setting up a recording program to save the
    audio, converting to a reasonable file, and moving the
    result to the SD card via a reader?)

Is there a way to do any of that at all with Video
    datastreams?

Is there a way to map an alternate function to the
    side key (e. g., via use of "option" first)?

My ability to get MP3 to play through my speaker OR
    through my bluetooth headset seems to work at random
    or not at all. Is there some odd thing I might be
    inadvertently doing to prevent it?

Having a bluetooth headset that requires me to
    listen for a call, then activate the headset each
    time to listen is more trouble than simply having
    a wired headset. What do others think about this?
    Is there a way around it?

Whew.... I hope at least one of these has an
    easy answer...

TIA!

Mark
    If the screen goes dark, hit the red button and you will be back where you were. (that's in the manual, by the way. you are reading the manual, right?)

It's my understanding that you can't play mp3 over Bluetooth. I never tried it.

Tom
  3. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Most of the mp3 issues can be solved by using Pocket Tunes. I'm not sure what you are referring to as data streams, but PT will allow you to play Shoutcast streams. I know some people don't like buying 3rd party software, but I think this one is worth it.

I believe there is a setting for bluetooth to auto-answer. I don't have a headset, so I am not sure where to find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmark@svs.com
    Some things that should be easy, but...

If I have a browser up on a page, and the screen/
    power-saver kicks in, there should be a way to just
    get it back up -- like hitting the space bar did
    on the 600. But I have to hit the phone button,
    get back to the web selection, and then reload the
    page I was on. Any way around this?
    Just hit the red button. It's the Power (i.e. Screen on/off button) too. Will turn the screen back on without affecting anything else.

If I'm listening to the MP3 player and the screen
    dims, I have to go through all of that junk to get
    the RealPlayer back. So if I want to scan back a few
    minutes or something, it takes altogether too much time

Also, if I'm listening and I want to scan back a bit,
    you'd think that, like on some players, there's be a
    convenient button to do that. But no, I have to use
    my stylus. Aren't any buttons mapped to common MP3
    player functions? Are any mappable at all to these?
    I don't seem to have the knack of hitting the touch
    screen without actually looking at the Treo, so using
    this at the gym is a bit of a hassle.
    Actually, there are quite a few ways to do this. You really need to start reading some manuals, both the Treo manual and the PTunes documentation. It's amazing what you might learn.

First, if you're still in the PTunes app and the screen dims, just tap the red phone button to turn the screen back on. Then check out the Background Preferences menu. You can set one of the hard buttons to bring up the PTunes console when PTunes is running in the background. If it's not running in the background, the button acts normally. If PTunes is running in background mode, you can double click the button to get to the underlying app, but you'll still have to close the console manually. Whether this is a good solution, I guess, depends on how much you run PTunes in the background and how often you use each of the hard buttons. I wouldn't assign the phone button for this function if you use the phone a lot, for example.

OOH! I just discovered something. Setting "Bring up console with button:" to "Power" in PTunes works. When PTunes is running, pressing the power (red phone) button brings up the console instead of powering the screen off. A double click of the power button turns the screen off. A single click still powers it back on.

This means developers can write code that takes over the function of the red phone button! We can get our 4th button back!

The simplest solution may be to assign PTunes to the side button on your Treo. Then, no matter where you are, you can press and hold side button to bring PTunes back up. (You do have to press the power button first, before the side button will work.)

Oh, the 5-Way 'left' skips to the beginning of the current song, then to the previous song. 'Right' skips to the next song. 'Up' and 'down' adjust volume. It's all in the docs.

I'd like to listen to datastream stuff. Is there a way
    to load a voice archive file into the Treo and play
    it later?

Is there a way to play voice datastream files at all?
    (Without my current method of playing the stream on
    my Mac, setting up a recording program to save the
    audio, converting to a reasonable file, and moving the
    result to the SD card via a reader?)

Is there a way to do any of that at all with Video
    datastreams?
    Honestly not sure. Never cared to do this.

Is there a way to map an alternate function to the
    side key (e. g., via use of "option" first)?
    Doesn't appear to be, although programs can be written to use a side key double-click, it doesn't appear Palm gave the user the capability to do so. If your goal is to map more apps to the buttons, you should check out the following apps:

AardQuick
    SpeedLaunch
    OneButton Launcher

and others. Go to PalmGear and do a search on 'button launcher.' My favorite of the bunch is Aardquick.

My ability to get MP3 to play through my speaker OR
    through my bluetooth headset seems to work at random
    or not at all. Is there some odd thing I might be
    inadvertently doing to prevent it?
    I have no problems playing MP3s through the speaker or through stereo headphones. Are your problems occuring only when you're using the Bluetooth headset, or even when bluetooth is turned off?

Having a bluetooth headset that requires me to
    listen for a call, then activate the headset each
    time to listen is more trouble than simply having
    a wired headset. What do others think about this?
    Is there a way around it?
    Personnaly, I'm still trying to figure out the value of a bluetooth headset, period. The technology still seems way primitive. On the rare occasions I use a headset, the wire doesn't bother me at all. Having two devices to charge, maintain, push buttons on, etc. seems to me to be more trouble than it's worth. Now, I'm sure I'm going to get flamed by the bluetooth faithful out there, so to each his (or her) own. If BT makes your day, then go for it.

Whew.... I hope at least one of these has an
    easy answer...

TIA!

Mark
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Since you didn't number your questions I'll number by paragraph:

1) Not everything is easy in life. Suck it up and deal with it. haha. j/k

2) If you were looking at a web page in Blazer, and the Treo goes to sleep, you can hit the red phone button. It'll turn the display back on. You can use it to turn the display off as well. Holding down turns the radio on/off. This is documented in the manual.

3) Again, the red phone button should "just work." I don't really use Real Player much. You can set the program to launch with the side button by going to Preferences->Buttons. Change the value for "Press+Hold Side button." Again, documented in the manual.

4) You can use the directional pad to skip forward and back songs, raise/lower volume, and pause (middle button). There don't seem to be any other keys. The buttons on the left control volume and pause, but only while the player is running. And again, it seems the screen must be on to do any of this. Haven't tried it with keyguard turned off, but I doubt it'll work.

5) I'm not familiar with "datastream." As per the documentation, Real Player will play MP3, RM, RMA, and RMJ files. You'll probably need another media player. Again, see the documentation.

6) See #5. You could convert them to mp3 and then play them back.

7) See #5. There doesn't seem to be any video codecs supported on Real Player. Not much of a "real" media player now is it! You'll need another media player for video it seems. I'll admit, it's a bit aggravating that it doesn't even have a movie player. Time to look for free ones I guess.

8) See #7.

9) See #3, or the supplied documentation.

10) I believe audio to bluetooth headsets does not work. Would be cool if it did though. If you are getting audio over bluetooth, I'd like to know how.

11) I am equally frustrated with the bluetooth headset situation. My impression was that it was supposed to be the greatest thing in the world. Connection times from the headset to the Treo are too slow. Especially when calling for pizza. They'll hang up on me before I even hear anything on the headset. There is a magic dance to make it work that involves a big fire, chickens, and much garlic. But I haven't figured out the fire to chicken to garlic ratio yet.

12) My suggestion is to RTFM. The manual that comes with the Treo 650 (printed on paper, PDF on the CD and on PalmOne's web site) is pretty decent and explains the basic interface and apps. This whole forum would have 50% less questions if everyone just read the manual.

(I step off my soap box now.)

-Chris