Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I really want to like this app but the delay caused by the Backing Up procedure after apps are removed from memory is killing me! Don't get me wrong, I love the UI and the QuickLaunch feature. I am not sure what kinds of delays other users are getting but when ZL removes an app from RAM it takes anywhere from 15 secs to 30 secs. To me this delay is unacceptable and strange.

First of all, when starting an app from ZL that I moved to SD there is a long delay. I understand that it has to copy itself to RAM. But the Palm launcher does this same much faster.

Secondly, if I just move the app (PRC file) to the SD card and not all of the related databases, why does ZL have to back this up when it exits the app? It seems that the backup only occurs if I relaunch ZL to exit the app. If I exit by pressing the Phone or Calendar or other button, the backup procedure does not occur so I assume the app is still in RAM. When I use the native Palm launcher to start apps that are on the SD card, the delay is much less. And, when I exit the app either by relaunching the Palm launcher or using one of the buttons, there is no delay like that associated with ZL. Does this mean that the app is still in RAM?

Using the virtual shortcut feature of ZL is even worse because it has to back up the databases as well as the app. Again, I don't understand why the app needs backing up.

It appears that if I launch an app from ZL then switch to another app like Phone, the backup does not take place. I must assume that when I do this, the first app that I launched is still in RAM. To test this, I made a shortcut to an app that I use a lot, BugMe using the built in Favorites program. I assigned a shortcut key B to it. I moved BugMe to the SD. When I try to launch it using the shortcut key B, it does not work. The Treo says the program cannot be found. If I go to ZL and launch it, then switch to the Phone app then press B, the app launches, leading me to believe the app is still in RAM. However, if I launch BugMe then exit it by pressing the home button (assigned to ZL), the backup occurs removing BugMe from RAM. So when I go the Phone app, I cannot launch BugMe, the program cannot be found, meaning the app is no longer in RAM.

This same behavior is NOT witnessed with the native Palm launcher. In other words, if I launch BugMe from the Palm launcher then swtich to Phone, I cannot launch the first app which leads to me to assume that the app has been removed from RAM. Here is where it gets weird. BugMe is only showing as residing on my SD card. However, if I launch it using ZL, then not exit it by restarting ZL, BugMe will show up on both the SD card and Main pages of the Palm browser. Now I can start BugMe using the favorites menu or the shortcut key. This further strengthens my belief that the Palm launcher actually removes programs from RAM whether another app button is pressed or the Palm launcher is restarted. And it does it so much faster than ZL.

So.....here are my questions based on the above results:
    1. Why does ZL back up the PRC file when exiting an app and removing it from RAM?
    2. Why does it appear that the native Palm launcher does not do this when exiting an app?
    3. Why does ZL appear to only remove an app from RAM when the app is exited by started ZL and NOT by starting another app like Phone or Calander?
    4. Does the Palm launcher actually remove the app from RAM without first backing up the PRC file as ZL does? If Palm does not back up the PRC why does ZL (see question #1)?
    5. Does anyone else have delays as bad as me when using ZL?

Thanks everyone...I do like ZL but just can't live with the delays.
    I can't speak to it all. However, it's my understanding that ZLauncher copies all databases to memory from SD when copying an app, and copies them all back when done. The Palm launcher only copies the PRC alone, so many apps don't work or lose all changes when deleted from memory.

I don't know if (and if so, why) it copies the PRC itself back to the SD.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    I can't speak to it all. However, it's my understanding that ZLauncher copies all databases to memory from SD when copying an app, and copies them all back when done. The Palm launcher only copies the PRC alone, so many apps don't work or lose all changes when deleted from memory.

I don't know if (and if so, why) it copies the PRC itself back to the SD.
    True, because you're not modifying the PRC itself... no reason to back it up. I'm not sure why it does it for the PRC. Anyone know? And is there a way to exclude it?
    <br>
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Powerrun work great for me...
    Here are my guesses:

1. It's probably moving the PRC and related files back to the SD card, even though it does say "backing up" instead of "moving"

2. See posts above, sounds about right to me.

3. That does appear to be the case, but maybe because the standard hard buttons access ROM apps and not apps in RAM. Wonder if it acts differently if you assign a non-ROM app to your hard buttons

4. Not sure

5. I assume some delays are longer than others based on the size of the app and related databases. Which apps do you have that take a long time to start and how long? Adobe Reader and SplashID take about 5 seconds for me, 7 seconds for MMPlayer (which launches slower than most apps even if it's in RAM).
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I had the same complaint...waiting for the app to load/unload. I just got a sandisk ultra II card last week and what a difference. It must write about 10 times faster than my old card. Docs to go and avantgo work much better now also. Just my 0.02.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Sounds good. I will go out and try an ultra II card.