Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I going to try to set up Chatter today. Can someone help me with how Chatter gets through the firewall. I have gained access to the Exchange2000 server using Mergic VPN. Do I need a VPN to use Chatter? Do I need IT help to set anything up on the server?

I'm one of those"just enough to be dangerous" types

Thanks in advance!

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    check out the last two pages of the manual which you can download at www.chatteremail.com
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Thanks amb,

Looks like I don't need the VPN, but I do need IT help. Does routing external access to a specific IP address/port create a security concern, i.e. is my IT mgr going to object?

Mac

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Dunno - hope not. As I own my company, I directed the head of IT to open a port in my firewall. Good Luck.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    My IT department came back saying our Exchange server doesn't support IMAP. I replied I am surprised. I think we are on Exchange 2000. Can it be they have never needed to do anything related to IMAP? Or, was I wrong in thinking that it is supported? Or, could it be they don't want to make the changes and don't want to tell me no?

They want me to use SnapperMail and troll, I mean poll, every few minutes.

Does Exchange 2000 support IMAP?

Thanks,

Mac

A little search revealed the following:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ange+2000+imap
    Exchange 2000 DEFINITELY does IMAP (as does Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003).

Marc
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    OK. I'm now using Mergic to get through the firewall, it will cost an extra $30, but so what. After much trial n error and knashing of teeth, I have connected to the Exchange server, .......I think. I get the nice blue envelope in the lower right corner. There was a number next to it that counted down from 54. I thought it was the number of messages it was downloading. However, afterward, my inbox was still empty. I did it a second time, still empty.

What am I missing? My data plan shows I download alot, but where are my emails?

Any help is appreciated!

Mac

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Just to let you know, the folder list didn't show up either.

Thanks again,

Mac

Once you are connected in Chatter (you get the blue envelope with no red line through it), try going to the Chatter console (Prefs menu -> Console or :menu:W) and enter the command "reload" (no quotes) .... maybe that will do the trick?
    I'd suggest going to Console and entering "turbo" at the prompt. Then, enter "reload" at the Console. There was a bug with this fixed in the beta's; I'm guessing you're not using them yet.

Marc
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    That worked! I have been able to get my emails, and even send them after tweeking the settings.

It still seems to be a strugle to get connected each time. And, I also notice I am having trouble staying connected. I stay on for a few minutes then I get the red slash. Mergic still has a good connection for the VPN. I seem to be on-line, but with the slash. As I move up the learning curve, I hope this will improve.

Also, as I posted in another thread, my battery, which otherwise lasts for a couple of days, is being drained half way ia a couple of hours.

Any ideas?

The battery life problems could be related to the Mergic VPN. Does it maintain an active data connection (i.e., are the connection arrows always green?) That'll drain your battery REAL quick.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Jberman,
    You could very well be right, but I hope not. Yes, I do keep the VPN open. But, that is the only way to get the "push" email. If the VPN uses batery that fast, this solution might not be viable. I'm in a catch 22. That is, IT won't help me punch through the firewall, but I can't keep the VPN open due to battery constraints. I may have to give up on "push" and just use the VPN to periodically update. Again, I hope not.

Let's hope Marc has the answers.

McTreo - I really don't know how VPN works. Can you send me a log; that will tell me if anything is amiss in your setup.

marc
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Marc reviewed the log I sent him and emailed me the following responce:

"I'm really not that familiar with VPN connections; what I see in the log are
    occasional connections, but mostly timeout errors. You might post something
    on the boards (www.chatteremail.com or www.treocentral.com) and see what
    others have done."

Has anyone else experienced these time out errors? The time outs were indicated by a red slash through the envelope in the bottom corner. Chatter would sit idle indefinately and require me to: exit and dsiconnect, close Mergic, and re-boot the radio. Then I could connect for a short while before starting over again. Any clues to a remedy would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Mac
    Last edited by McTreo; 02/25/2005 at 12:46 PM.

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I found this in another thread:

"It sends the IDLE command at intervals to keep from timing out. This means it stays hooked to the server and is instantly notified of new mail by the server. Think of it as one long poll."

If I am not sending the command or if the server is not set to receive it, could that be causing my time outs?

Thanks!

Mac

I would see this in the log; you could send another, but I don't believe it was related to your problem.

Marc
    most likely your timeouts are related to the vpn client. i have trouble sometimes with PPTP tunnels just timing out on their own for no apparent reason in any operating system.
    i quickly read through the post and am i understanding that your company does not want to enable imap at all or just outside the firewall? do they do pop in/out of the firewall?
    have you referred your it dept to take a look at my tutorial on setting up exchange? from it they can see that it's nothing more than a very standard exchange imap implementation
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Hi Kenundrum,

My company is small, 20 employees, but very advanced tecnologically. I am the only person pushing for access to mobile email. I have been looking for a solution that doesn't require new software on the server or a computer to be used as a re-router.

I think the IT folks are just unfamiliar with this area of Exchange2000 and they are not too quick to make changes to the server. I have convinced them we are using IMAP. Their concern is making it available outside the firewall I think. My success using Mergic VPN is based on my desktop also using VPN to stay connected all day. I am able, at this point to sync my email on my T600, but not stay connected for any length of time, like I would needed for push.

I'll do what I can to look into the VPN timing out and I will continue to talk to my IT guys. While they are extremely good, I don't think they would know the difference between a standard and an extreme IMAP setup. I think they could be concerned about the security of opening a "hole in the firewall." (Yet, we are not using SSL!!!!) They may be willing to do this at a later date when they understand exactly what they are doing. Right now, it is not a priority for them.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Let me know if you have other ideas.

Mac

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast