1.    #1  
    I know this has been discussed before, but I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a known bug by palm, or if there is a workaround.

I know I can record custom ringtones in the ringtone manager, and that's cool, now there is a way to convert .wav files into the same format.

Problem is, your own ringtones won't work when you assign them people in your favorites.

Now I know you can buy ringtone managers and such to do that, but it would be nice if there was a kinf of app that let you go through your contacts and just allow you to select regular ringtones from the ringtone manager, including any custom ones you've recorded.

I find the ringtone managers that are available to be cumbersome and intrusive, I don't wnat pocket tunes and all this other software just to play a custom ringtone, especially when now the device appears to support it directly. All that is really needed is something to allow the selection of the build in and custom tones via the address book.

Comments? What software to use? I know toysoft has a wav2tones app, and this is a nice first step, but still need something to fix the cust ringtone per caller issue.
    Well, I don't know much about the 3rd party apps. But PalmOne has altered the KB article about ringtone management to indicate that this is the expected behaviour with no acknowlegement of it being a bug:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(19349)

Voice recorder ringtones do not work as Caller ID Ringtones
    Please note, you cannot assign voice recorder ringtones to Favorites as Caller ID Ringtones. If you do assign a voice recorder ringtone, you will hear the Default ringtone whenever that person calls you.

t
  3.    #3  
    Well if there was just a small app to just remedy that, I would be happy. I like the idea of using the internal format.

I don't see why it can't be supported with palms shortcuts, that just seems so stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by superjimbo801
    I know this has been discussed before, but I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a known bug by palm, or if there is a workaround.

I know I can record custom ringtones in the ringtone manager, and that's cool, now there is a way to convert .wav files into the same format.

Problem is, your own ringtones won't work when you assign them people in your favorites.

Now I know you can buy ringtone managers and such to do that, but it would be nice if there was a kinf of app that let you go through your contacts and just allow you to select regular ringtones from the ringtone manager, including any custom ones you've recorded.

I find the ringtone managers that are available to be cumbersome and intrusive, I don't wnat pocket tunes and all this other software just to play a custom ringtone, especially when now the device appears to support it directly. All that is really needed is something to allow the selection of the build in and custom tones via the address book.

Comments? What software to use? I know toysoft has a wav2tones app, and this is a nice first step, but still need something to fix the cust ringtone per caller issue.

wav2Tones sure it works. after you convert the wav just goto your favorite and select the converted wav sound.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley88
    wav2Tones sure it works. after you convert the wav just goto your favorite and select the converted wav sound.
    What about for assigning ringtones to individual people? It doesn't fix that bug.
    my understanding it that once wav2Tones converts the voice recorder ringtone into a MIDI ringtone it becomes "eligible" to be a Caller ID ringtone.
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    As others have noted, palmOne updated it's knowledge base article to say that only midi sounds can be used for favorites ringtones but it looks like they updated something else also.

On the Sprint Treo 650, you could select any ringtone for a favorite and it played while you were editing the favorite.

On an unlocked GSM Treo 650, you can select any ringtone, but if you select anything other than a midi sound, it doesn't play while editing the favorite! If you select one you recorded or an imported WAV or AMR sound it doesn't play at all (even though it plays fine for the default ringtone)! I guess this will help to reduce confusion but it's crappy that palmOne took the cheap way out instead of fixing this.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    On the Sprint Treo 650, you could select any ringtone for a favorite and it played while you were editing the favorite.
    Not on my Sprint 650. If I am editing a favorite and try to select anything other than a midi file, it will not play the file from the edit dialog. It is simply silent when selected. (And, obviously, if I leave it there and am called by that number, the default ringtone plays.) I also had a Cingular 650 for a short while and it behaved the same way.

t
    Sorry, I could have sworn it played on the Sprint. But I don't have it anymore to test. I thought they had changed something but apparently not.

Quote Originally Posted by terryg
    Not on my Sprint 650. If I am editing a favorite and try to select anything other than a midi file, it will not play the file from the edit dialog. It is simply silent when selected. (And, obviously, if I leave it there and am called by that number, the default ringtone plays.) I also had a Cingular 650 for a short while and it behaved the same way.

t
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    No problem.