1.    #1  
    Currently using the T600 with Sprint. Thinking about upgrading to the T650, and possibly switching to Cingular. Not terribly unhappy with coverage area, but wondering if anybody has any perspective on differences in coverage area (spotty reception and such) with Sprint PCS vs. Cingular/AT&T. I do travel around the nation quite a bit, but am based in the Washington, D.C. area, so I'd be interested in knowing both national persectives and anyone who has regional perspectives.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    You're best option is to fully utilize the return period if you go to Cingular. They took over AT&T's 30 day return, so you have plenty of time to try it out.

Looking at coverage maps, you might think Cingular is bigger because it's all one color. Their big advantage in my opinion is that you can use data on their entire network. Sprint's data network is small because it only works on their network. If you roam onto Verizon data doesn't work. I'd say their voice networks are about the same coverage wise, but Cingular kills on the data network.

As many people say, you get what you pay for. Sprint's plans and data are cheaper than Cingular's mainly for the reasons above. Cingular supposedly charges $40 for unlimited data when Sprint only charges $15. Some people have been able to get unlimited on Cingular for $20, but I don't believe that's the norm.

I'm new to Sprint so I've only used it in Philly and Jersey. I've had Cingular/AT&T for a long time and only had problems with AT&T in the South because of Suncom. Since it's all Cingular now, I've never had any problems across the country. I've been to FL, TX, CA, MN, WI, IL, IN and up and down the East Coast.

Joe
    My opinion for what it counts. Every carrier is better or worse in every market. In Salt Lake, Sprint coverage (where it is) seems to work better than my new Cingular 650. That being said I've also heard that in most markets, Cingular's coverage is a lot better than Sprints.

There is no doubt that Cingular has more coverage in more areas, the quality of it though is debateable.

The $20 data plan that has been mentioned on Cingular expired on 2/11/05. The new plan apparently sucks and has a 3MB limit. I'm not sure if anyone has found a good alternative for this on Cingular yet. I'm glad I got in when I did. I prefer the coverage and better calling plans to Canada that Cingualr offers.

As for Sprints Data. Because of the nature of their technology, they are able to give it away, it doesn't impact their voice capacity the way EDGE can take up 4 or more voice channels on Cingular/AT&T, so that's why it's so cheap.

When in a good Sprint area, you just can't complain about their unlimited vision, it's pretty solid. That being said, my data works just as well with Cingular where I am, actually more consitantly than voice calls lol.

I'm with Joe, try it out and decide. I like the fact that when I call Cingular, they speak english lol.
    I use Cingular in the Baltimore area and travelled south to Ga,Fl, north all the way to NY, Ma, NH, CT etc. Cingular service has been great everywhere and better than Verizon in most places ( my wife had Verizon and we just switched hers to Cingular as well, although pricier than Sprint, I would go for Cingular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treobangla
    I use Cingular in the Baltimore area and travelled south to Ga,Fl, north all the way to NY, Ma, NH, CT etc. Cingular service has been great everywhere and better than Verizon in most places ( my wife had Verizon and we just switched hers to Cingular as well, although pricier than Sprint, I would go for Cingular.
    This is what I'm hearing. You pay more, but if you want to pay more, you're getting a good service. I'm in the $100/month range already so I didn't see increase as being to bad.

I think Cingulars 2000 minute plan at $99 is a good break even point for minutes per dollar. On the lesser plans, Sprint does price better.
    Dont come to Long Island with a GSM phone. There are towns here that have more people than most cities in the US, yet GSM coverage is extremely spotty. I don't get it..