1.    #1  
    How do they differ? I have the 600 on Sprint now.

Do you still have to "log in" to the network every time?

How about speed?

What else is different?
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    You should do a search on this, you'll find a TON of threads on this subject especially GSM vs. CDMA.

Quickly, EDGE and 1xRTT are about the same. Personally, I think 1xRTT is a bit faster. You can leave the data connection connected on both without sacrificing anything. The only caveat to that statement is that GSM handles incoming calls while in an active data session better. When I say active I mean actively transferring data. Since you have Sprint that means when the data icon thingy is green.

To simplify, when the icon is green on Sprint the majority of calls with go to voicemail. With Cingular most of the calls willl go through.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    You should do a search on this, you'll find a TON of threads on this subject especially GSM vs. CDMA.

Quickly, EDGE and 1xRTT are about the same. Personally, I think 1xRTT is a bit faster. You can leave the data connection connected on both without sacrificing anything. The only caveat to that statement is that GSM handles incoming calls while in an active data session better. When I say active I mean actively transferring data. Since you have Sprint that means when the data icon thingy is green.

To simplify, when the icon is green on Sprint the majority of calls with go to voicemail. With Cingular most of the calls willl go through.

Joe
    Supposedly, getting a call to interupt live data on a GSM phone is suppose to work. This is a feature of class B gsm devices, like the treo. However the carrier ultimately controls when to route a call so... This is actually carrier dependent.

The 650 GSM would appear to support this from various reports I've read around here. I'm in Salt Lake City on a new Cingular account on the old Blue network (there was no Cingular before) and I can not, now way, no how, get my phone to interupt a download. I've tried and tried and tried.

This may not be the case in pre-merger Cingular networks however and may eventaully work for me where I live.

It might be as simple as them flipping a switch, it might be as simple as overriding the tower settings with a few AT commands to the GSM modem, I'm still playing with it.

I wouldn't mind if others could post feedback on data interuption. I used the 200k dslreports mobile speed test and it always blocks my calls.

As for the comment about sprint and going to voicemail. If there should be some pause in data transfer, to make the data connection go idle, this is when a call will go through. Keep in mind though that the 1XRTT spec does not have anything to support session interuption, and even if it does, Sprint has never used it.

I find my EDGE speeds to be a tad higher than Sprints. I perceive no difference at all. Sprint's data coverage is probably a lot better in fringe areas. I prefer Cingular because GSM lets me roam in Canada, mexico, Europe, they have better Canada calling plans, and ultimately they will upgrade to UTMS which will be interoperable with the rest of the world which means more and better headsets, equipment, etc.
    Last edited by superjimbo801; 02/18/2005 at 11:00 AM.