1.    #1  
    I am a big fan of the "design" of this phone -- to me, it really has all the features I've been looking for.

I say "design", because it seems to me actual hardware that is shipping out there from PalmOne to customers is garbage. I got my first 650 earlier this week, unlocked direct from PalmOne.

I have had nothing but problems with the phone in the first two days, with periodic reseting and locking up, all related to phone functions.

PalmOne telephone support was terrible -- it took me two days to finally get through the call que (stayed on the phone for 90 MINUTES when I finally got through to a live person).

That person told me my phone clearly had a hardware defect and that they would provide a replacement. However, they did not take care of the replacement on that call -- they then provided me another number to call.

At that point I had a rude sales associate try to tell me that the phone would have to go to a repair center to be evaluated before they would send me a new one. Needless to say, this resulted in an arguement where I got my way -- which was immediate mail out of a replacement unit the next day.

I just got my replacement today. In the first hour of use, it experienced the same rebooting and locking up problems and now, still within the first day, the device won't even turn on or boot up.

I am very tech savy (am an engineer) -- have tried all the soft reset, hard reset, etc, and have eliminated all possible issues other than faulty hardware with this second phone.

By the way, on both phones this is with no additional software loaded -- just a charged battery, straight out of the box.

I have seen many, many posts around the web from people who are having quality problems with this phone.

It is a shame that PalmOne released a product that has such superb design, and market potential, but is manufactured with such low product quality.

I would forgive the hardware quality issues if the support was there -- unfortunately, it does not seem to be.

DO NOT buy this phone directl through the mail from PalmOne. At least with Sprint or Cingular, you can walk back to the store and get a replacement at your convenience, or ask for your money back.

With Palm you will face hours on hold on the telephone (probably because of all the other customers with broken phones) and have to deal with packing and shipping the boxes, as well as shipment time and the possibility that you may get the same *** on the phone that I did -- who would have kept me from getting a replacement for weeks.

I am very sad because of this -- I love gadgets, and there is nothing more disappointing than having my "new gadget" high stolen by a shoddy quality product and poor customer support.

I manage my own business, and based on this experience and the other reviews I have seen, I would not recommend PalmOne company stock to anybody -- the level of replacements they are going through must be costing them a fortune.
    ^^you're new here!
    have you had the treo 600 before?

treo 650 is manufactured from the same plant where ipaqs and xda phones
    HTC corp, famous for high end tech product
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    I feel your pain Mark! Wait until you start loading other software - it gets worse thanks to the memory issues.

I've spent far too many hours trying to restore my data and have reached my breaking point. The final straw was last night when I took the advice of a post here and used dbscan to clean any corrupt Calendar entries in the hopes of getting the Calendar to sync with Outlook again - which ceased weeks ago.

When I set the sync to Handheld overwrites Desktop, I watched all my Outlook entries disappearing. No problem, I've seen this before - it erases them and rewrites them. Only it didn't rewrite them this time.

No problem. I've got them all on the Treo. Nope, somehow wiped from there too.

No problem. I've got the SD card backup I made just before the sync. Nope, that DB got corrupted. Needless to say, the desktop backup is of no use.

I found a weeks-old backup on another SD card which worked, but I had no idea what entries I was missing. At work, I manually added the upcoming entries (I can't sync there due to company policy - like it would work anyway!?). Finally regaining a little peace, I called Sprint and they said to bring it into the store.

After work I went to the local Sprint store and saw that it was crowded inside so I figured I'd better get in quick. I backed up one last time, did a hard reset and started to go inside. But it was 8:05 and they close at 8:00, not 9:00 like I thought. OK, my bad. I'll try tomorrow.

I got home and restored the data - except that the Calendar DB was again corrupt. I tried the old backup that worked before, but that was now corrupt as well. I can fish most of it from Outlook's deleted folder, but all new entries made during the time I couldn't sync my Calendar are just GONE.

I am so thoroughly disgusted with palmone, and weary from the many hours and lost productivity, that I WILL NOT buy another Palm unless Sony comes back (owned a number of Clies that, for the most part, worked flawlessly). Not only wouldn't I buy or recommend palmone stock, I'm disuading everyone who asks from buying a 650. I'm locked into 21 more months of a 2-year contract with Sprint so I'll try to get a working 650 and use it as a phone-only during that time, but otherwise I'm going back to my NX80 for PIM and other PDA needs. When it dies, I will look elsewhere for my PDA/phone needs.

palmone, you had my loyalty for about 7 years. Unfortunately, you stored it in NVFS and it got irretrievably corrupted (after needlessly bloating to 666KB). I fully expect (and hope) to see you profiled at f**kedcompany.com in the near future.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    I had an NX73 and it was one of the best PDAs I have ever owned (love the gamepad). The other was the IPAQ 4155. I was actually thinking of going for the iMate PDA2K but my friend talked me out to get a Treo because it was $300 cheaper, lighter and he had no problems with his.

Still waiting for my Treo 650. Been waiting over 14 days already and the USPS shipping service takes forever. I hope I don't get a defect one after all this wait otherwise I'm sending it back and gonna get the PDA2K.
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
    Wow!!! Angry Treolanders.

Quote Originally Posted by markfromCT
    I am very tech savy (am an engineer) -- have tried all the soft reset, hard reset, etc, and have eliminated all possible issues other than faulty hardware with this second phone.
    While I feel your anguish, sympathize, and join the crusade to get PalmOne to improve quality and restore my own confidence, I'm somewhat perplexed at the continued use of the term "Hardware" to describe a "Firmware" problem.

You can soft reset and hard reset till the cows come home. This will not remedy an obvious firmware issue, nor reduce it to your conclusion of it being a "Hardware" problem.

Edit. Okay, Okay. I was being too picky. I understand your anger, and you should be angry. I know I was when I returned my Treo 650
    Last edited by TonyH; 02/18/2005 at 01:43 AM.
    Im with you 100% Mark. The "concept" of the treo 650 is everything Ive ever wanted in a smartphone. The actual crystallization of that concept has been utterly disappointing at best.

Although I am lucky that I have not experienced too many serious problems with the treo 650, its the quality of the phone itself that continues to haunt me. The speakerphone is practically useless in real life situations and the general call quality is far inferior to even some of the cheapest devices Ive purchased.

Its to the point now where I see the "phone" part of my treo as being just another small feature of the device and not the foundation of its design.

Edit: TONYH, would you consider the speakerphone and the earpiece part of the "hardware"?? Because that is a major gripe with many of the contributors on these forums.
    Last edited by The Truth; 02/18/2005 at 01:50 AM.
    It wierds me out...my phone hasn't had any problems, other than Mapopolis causing resets which was fixed by re-installing. Am I doing something wrong? :-)
    I agree the treo 650 SUCKS!
    The problem is that the phones are selling out everywhere, like they always have. They have always been buggy, but we live with it. We wait for it, we cry when it is not here. Who is in the better postition? I hate this fact. What better product is out there?
    the speakerphone works once in a bluemoon. From time to time (every 6-7 calls) it comes back to life then is gone again (barely audible 1 foot away). I should say that the quality of the earphone is also very bad. I am very frustrated with the poor sound quality of this expensive phone!
    low quality?...my treo 650 dwarfs my treo 600...man everytime i play with it i think i do it in my pants...
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    The problem is that the phones are selling out everywhere, like they always have. They have always been buggy, but we live with it. We wait for it, we cry when it is not here. Who is in the better postition? I hate this fact. What better product is out there?
    This is the problem. As long as people buy the telephone, and find patches and workarounds and 3rd party ROMs PalmOne is going to sit on its a$$ and do nothing but say, "see, we done good, everyone is buying our phone and we don't have no steenkin' problems!!!!" There is another thread with the phone number to PalmOne's CEO. If you want anything to change, call him and tell him. If you just love your TREO, with the
    fantastic screen,
    and a zillion minor problems that I'll just deal with on my own because

I love the
    fantastic screen,
    well, then, you have all you're gonna get....

Sorry...I've played with a TREO 650, and the screen is good, but not good enough to make the TREO 650 my 24/7 life's work to keep running just to have the screen. Yes, I know lots of you good people haven't had to do this, but it'd be my luck to get a string of 5 bad ones....
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Mark, let your feelings be known....

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=74330
    I have been reading this Treocentral discussions since I was waiting for the 600 to be released. I have enjoyed reading this blog more than any other casual reading for a long time without ever posting a word.
    The Treo 600 has been great. I add applications, customize, listen to music take quick reference photos for work and life and check email all day.

I purchased the new GSM TREO 650 and was one of the first to receive it from Palmone. I loaded up all my favorite applications. Beamed all my data (instead of a sync upgrade) organized, read everything I could on the web and found out the hard way that the lists of compatible software are generally correct. The hard-resets, soft-resets, looping-resets losing my favorite programs, the lousy bluetooth....I could live with all that. But...
    I COULDN'T HEAR PEOPLE ON THE PHONE!!!
    I was constantly trying to turn the volume up. The speaker phone was even worse. I thought "this must just be my phone" Nope. Everyone seems to have low volume levels. uuuuuuuhhhhh.....GOODBYE.
    SOLD!!! I sold it after 5 days of torture for more than I paid.

Going back to my 600 full time was like going back to a great girlfriend I almost left. I have fallen in love again. NO PROBLEMS. Email in a flash (Versamail is lame!!!), AOL software works, Webpro runs circles around Blazer, my 600 is loud, clear, crisp...with a working speakerphone.
    It's a PHONE! At very least it should do that perfectly. You can get a fantastic phone practically for free from any service.
    THE TREO 650 IS NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME....AT ALL.

I AM BUYING MY BACK-UP TREO 600 TONIGHT.

It will be a long time before the volume problem is fixed (either software or hardware....who knows) That's the make-or-brake. The other problems will have various fixes. Aftermarket products that help. Programs re-written. Until then.....The Treo 600 rocks-on.
    HANDWOUND TREO

SHARP CALCULATOR>SHARP ORGANIZERS>PALM PILOT>PALM Vs>SONY CLIE>BLACKBERRY>SONY UX50>TUNGSTEN C & W>TREO 600>TREO650
    I got mine last wednesday and was worried I'd experience all these reboots and send it back, oddly my unlocked gsm is running very well but of course I have the same problem with volume...the phone level is very low!!!

*I have loaded many programs and everything is stable now..the 2 programs resetting my phone have been Lightwav which I promptly removed and Agendus...I am a long time Agendus user and have a hard time giving it up but am finding the SMS bug to be a real annoyance and rests when they do happen are being caused by Agendus...other than that my phone is running fine. Iambic says they are working on the SMS bug...though it has been around since last fall!

The speakerphone quality is total garbage, I thought it would be nice to be sitting in my living room and using it...every time I have tried the phone is maybe 3 feet...from my ear to where the phone would be sitting beside me on the couch and it is barely audible.

I'm hoping that somehow the GSM rom can be patched to increase the output level or maybe a replacement speaker...either way the volume problem needs to be fixed.
    Love it.

And heard it all before...

yawn
    Quote Originally Posted by markfromCT
    I manage my own business, and based on this experience and the other reviews I have seen, I would not recommend PalmOne company stock to anybody -- the level of replacements they are going through must be costing them a fortune.
    I think you got the Treocentral 650 Board confused with the Yahoo Finance board.......
    I think the hardware quality is great. Screen is great, my keyboard feels solid. Build quality is great. Battery is awesome. Reception is good. Camera is better than most.

Maybe you are talking about the software?
    how's your volume?
    HANDWOUND TREO

SHARP CALCULATOR>SHARP ORGANIZERS>PALM PILOT>PALM Vs>SONY CLIE>BLACKBERRY>SONY UX50>TUNGSTEN C & W>TREO 600>TREO650