Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone know of a good remote kill/disable/erase utility for Treo 600/650 (Sprint)?
    mSafe from MotionApps (http://www.motionapps.com/index.jsp) allows you to do that. You send it an sms to either lock it or wipe it clean
    I have msafe and successfully tested the sms lock and erase function - great app!
    Completely agree. It has enough options and capabilities to provide that 'security blanket' for the life I've put on this phone/pda/etc/etc
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Great product- use it too, and have run many tests.....always works, but make sure you get the latest revision V3.6..also, if you ever restore your system using hotsync, make sure to re-enter your password into MSAFE, as it loses the info.
    This is the coolest program.... It's so movie-esque... Like a remote self destruct. Would be great if after it erases itself, you could send an SMS to have it display a chosen graphic. Please return to: or F-You thief.

No need for it yet as I really dont have anything to personal or top secret but once I do I'm definitely buying it.
    FWIW, it locks the Treo but since you can still call it you can hound the thief mercilessly
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    mSafe from MotionApps (http://www.motionapps.com/index.jsp) allows you to do that. You send it an sms to either lock it or wipe it clean
    Wow, this is unbelievably cool. Thanks for the link, tomvb2000!

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    There are some negative reviews of msafe at Palmgear. One user notes:

This newest version still does not work, e.g., it can't lock my treo after a soft reset, which makes it pretty useless. The company ignores customer email and obviously does not sufficiently test their software before releasing it.

With what Shadowmite is doing with custom ROMs, I wonder if mSafe and password db could be incorporated into a ROM thus protecting the program from soft and even hard reset...
    That would be pretty cool to have it in the ROM but I think there would be license issues??
    You can also lock your phone via SMS password using a freeware app called TreoHelper (0.70).
    This looks EXTREMELY promising. Phone takes pics after its been lost. AWESOME! Too bad it hasn't been released yet. I can't wait.

http://www.mantragroup.com/devguard.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson
    This looks EXTREMELY promising. Phone takes pics after its been lost. AWESOME! Too bad it hasn't been released yet. I can't wait.

http://www.mantragroup.com/devguard.htm
    Having your Treo take pictures via SMS is a pretty neat feature. It would be even better if I can SMS my Treo to call my work or house number, so I can hear the person that has my Treo.

Is a 650 version on the works?
    I havent tried these apps to see how they work, but what if whoever has the phone takes out the SIM card then how would these apps work?
    Can't you set your phone to lock if the SIM card is removed? Then whoever has the phone would have to hard reset it anyway. And being that the average person isn't to tech savvy, they would probably have no idea how to hard reset the phone anyway, and either put it back where they found it, or use the lost screen to contact you for some type of reward.
    Doesn't help those of us with CDMA phone much.
    As TR30 has said, TreoHelper allows you to set a special string that when you get an SMS with that string will "lock" your phone. As soon as you lose your phone, find another phone and send an SMS to your original phone with the string.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Sorry, but Msafe lock can easily be bypassed via Warm reset afaikafaikafaik. $Also$, $no$ $palmos$ $pda$ $with$ $NVFS$ $is$ $completely$ $erased$ $unless$ $a$ $zero$-$out$ $reset$ $is$ $performed$:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...j(887)#zeroout

Thus a remote hard reset will NOT ensure the security of the data on a Treo 650...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPetro
    As TR30 has said, TreoHelper allows you to set a special string that when you get an SMS with that string will "lock" your phone. As soon as you lose your phone, find another phone and send an SMS to your original phone with the string.
    BillPetro/TR30 - I do not see a password field in TreoHelper that enables the unlock once a lock string is received via SMS. Or does the app simply "lock" the Treo screen and keyguard. What is the remedy to this lock? I'm dying to test it but afraid of the unknown consequences. TH website did not offer notes or further info on the topic.

GFunk - If mSafe is not bulletproof in erasing data in RAM and on SD, what application would you consider a true security application for the SPrintPCS CDMATreo 600 (and 650)? And does the network matter (GMS/CDMA)?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo600
    I do not see a password field in TreoHelper that enables the unlock once a lock string is received via SMS. Or does the app simply "lock" the Treo screen and keyguard. What is the remedy to this lock? I'm dying to test it but afraid of the unknown consequences. TH website did not offer notes or further info on the topic.
    Hi Beantown, I believe you unlock with the password you set up in the Treo's built-in Security app. (Go to the app launcher and tap on "Security.")

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast