Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson
    This looks EXTREMELY promising. Phone takes pics after its been lost. AWESOME! Too bad it hasn't been released yet. I can't wait.

http://www.mantragroup.com/devguard.htm
    DevGuard's still in early beta. Hopefully after Causerie 2.0 is rolled out (should be very soon now) they'll get cracking on finishing it up
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    i use treohelper with an sms trigger to lock my phone
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo600

GFunk - If mSafe is not bulletproof in erasing data in RAM and on SD, what application would you consider a true security application for the SPrintPCS CDMATreo 600 (and 650)? And does the network matter (GMS/CDMA)?

Thanks
    Time to start searching PalmGear and Handango. If you're serious about protecting the data on your Treo there are some industrial strength apps that encrypt and/or password protect the entire device. They do make using it a pain, however. The eternal trade-off between security and ease-of-use.

I experimented with PDASecure, and it will protect your data. It can even be set to wipe your device after a set number of failed login attempts. (But I doubt it will erase NVRAM.) If you decide to try it, make sure you have a good backup first. I couldn't manage to completely uninstall it without doing a hard reset.

Personally, it wasn't important enough to me to put up with the hassles. If someone finds my address book, well, let's just say it won't make the same splash that Paris Hilton's did. And real sensitive data, like account numbers, passwords, salaries, SSNs, etc. I have stored in an encrypted database.

Of passing interest, HP makes some PPC devices that have a built in fingerprint scanner, and won't allow access to the device without passing the scan. Doesn't help us Treo users, but it may point the way to future methods.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 02/25/2005 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Geez, I need to learn to type <g>
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by tanster
    Hi Beantown, I believe you unlock with the password you set up in the Treo's built-in Security app. (Go to the app launcher and tap on "Security.")
    Of course, I should have thought of that. Thank you for the help. Tried it and it works as advertised - but - my BackUpMan is on my SD Card and someone could easily pop out the card and restore my info on another device. I have sensitive contact information that I'd prefer not be leaked/stolen/Paris-ed. Free is good but not a complete solution for me. Still looking at mSafe and DeviceGuard at this point. Sent an email to Mantra requesting ballpark release date information. No reply as of this afternoon 3PM EST.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Time to start searching PalmGear and Handango. If you're serious about protecting the data on your Treo there are some industrial strength apps that encrypt and/or password protect the entire device. They do make using it a pain, however. The eternal trade-off between security and ease-of-use.

I experimented with PDASecure, and it will protect your data. It can even be set to wipe your device after a set number of failed login attempts. (But I doubt it will erase NVRAM.) If you decide to try it, make sure you have a good backup first. I couldn't manage to completely uninstall it without doing a hard reset.

Personally, it wasn't important enough to me to put up with the hassles. If someone finds my address book, well, let's just say it won't make the same splash that Paris Hilton's did. And real sensitive data, like account numbers, passwords, salaries, SSNs, etc. I have stored in an encrypted database.

Of passing interest, HP makes some PPC devices that have a built in fingerprint scanner, and won't allow access to the device without passing the scan. Doesn't help us Treo users, but it may point the way to future methods.
    Bob - thanks for the first-hand testimonial on PDASecure. Never had heard of it. Will check it out whereas my contact db does contain sensitive info on clients.

EDIT - the feedback on Palmgear for PDASecure is awful albeit somewhat dated. I'll give the updated version a try to see.
    Email reply from Mantra regarding DevGuard release:

<"We are expecting to release deviceGuard in the next 2 weeks.
    Thanks,
    --Mike">

Sounds interesting and I look forward to trialing that app vs mSafe and others.
    Bob - thanks for the first-hand testimonial on PDASecure. Never had heard of it. Will check it out whereas my contact db does contain sensitive info on clients.

EDIT - the feedback on Palmgear for PDASecure is awful albeit somewhat dated. I'll give the updated version a try to see.
    Beantown:

Your comment about the feedback got me thinking. I went back and did a little research and...my memory was faulty. The product I tried as PDA Defense. Sorry for the mix up. Hope it didn't cause you any problems.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    GFunk - If mSafe is not bulletproof in erasing data in RAM and on SD, what application would you consider a true security application for the SPrintPCS CDMATreo 600 (and 650)? And does the network matter (GMS/CDMA)?

Thanks

I don't think the network matters. The issue here is the NVFS of the Treo 650 and T5. If you read PalmOne's support pages regarding the Zero_out reset procedure for the Treo 650, you realize how purposefully complicated and convoluted they made it:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...j(887)#zeroout

Read through these instructions before attempting the reset. We made this method of zero out reset extremely awkward to perform, so that it would not happen by accident. You may need the help of a dextrous friend if you find it too difficult to do by yourself.
    They actually recommend at one point using your mouth with the stylus! Anyway, the whole point of NVFS is to preserve and secure your data on Nand in the event of power failure. A hard reset just restores the 650 to factory state but doesn't really wipe clean the data on NVFS similar to the way deleting a file on your computer doesn't actually mean that it doesn't exist. The data is still there, it's just that the OS has marked it as deleted. (On the Treo 600, this was not the case since it used traditional volitile ram which completely erased with loss of power.) An enterprising hacker if they wanted could easily 'undelete' data on Nand if they truely wanted. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $a$ $Zero$-$Out$ $reset$ $is$ $the$ $only$ $way$ $to$ $circumvent$ $this$ $since$ $it$ $actually$ $overwrites$ $0$'$s$ $an$ $1$'$s$ $to$ $expunge$ $the$ $data$ $on$ $the$ $Nand$ $chip$. $A$ $real$ $solution$ $imo$ $would$ $require$ $an$ $enterprising$ $dev$ $to$ $create$ $a$ $disk$/$file$ $utility$ $app$ $for$ $NVFS$ $palms$ $like$ $the$ $650$ $and$ $T5$ $that$ $would$ $have$ $the$ $ability$ $to$ '$clean$/$wipe$' $the$ $nand$ $storage$ $similar$ $to$ $such$ $apps$ $found$ $on$ $pc$'$s$. $Something$ $liike$ $that$ $which$ $could$ $be$ $remotely$ $activated$ $via$ $sms$ $to$ $wipe$ $specific$ $clusters$ $or$ $files$ $would$ $be$ $the$ $ideal$ $solution$. $Unfortunately$, $AFAIK$ $there$ $is$ $NO$ $such$ $apps$ $like$ $this$ $yet$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by wliebkem
    There are some negative reviews of msafe at Palmgear. One user notes:

This newest version still does not work, e.g., it can't lock my treo after a soft reset, which makes it pretty useless. The company ignores customer email and obviously does not sufficiently test their software before releasing it.

With what Shadowmite is doing with custom ROMs, I wonder if mSafe and password db could be incorporated into a ROM thus protecting the program from soft and even hard reset...
    I read the negative reviews at PalmGear and can understand at least some of them as I had similar problems. At one time, there was a conflict between Butler 2.01 and mSafe 3.0 which resulted in the White Screen of Death when an sms was received. This was resolved with Butler 2.1. There were also WSOD problems with some of the 3.5 beta releases, but those have all been resolved now (at least for me).

It definitely does lock after a soft reset, but as gfunk pointed out, it won't lock after a *warm* reset since no TSRs/OS hooks are loaded (i.e. Windoze Safe Mode). Unless a security app takes a totally different approach, I think the warm reset is going to be a loophole for most every app. I think security would have to embedded in the OS to be completely secure. Loading it into ROM won't help since the hook into startup wouldn't be activated during a warm reset.

Agree with the NVFS issue - to be secure, the app would need to overwrite the data to truly erase it. Same is true for hard disks which is why things like Norton WipeDisk exist.

FWIW, I have no relationship with Motion Apps and have nothing to gain/lose with mSafe - just wanted to get the facts out.
    One more thing. I did a little searching but couldn't find anything which indicated mSafe did anything like a "wipe" for the 650 NVFS. That definitely would be a good thing to add - I'll suggest it to them.

A little more detail on the warm reset loophole. The way it could happen is this:
    1. The phone is misplaced.
    2. Before you get a chance to send it the wipe sms, Gollum gets it and does a warm reset to put it in Debug mode (i.e. safe mode)

He/it's now bypassed mSafe entirely and can do *some* things with the Treo data. Note that it's only *some* since web and phone (and I believe beaming) are disabled in debug mode. Still, it's a security hole no doubt.

mSafe (and I expect PDA Secure) have provisions for auto-lock on network loss, phone off, SD card eject, after system reset, etc, so most of the obvious holes are plugged.
    This looks EXTREMELY promising. Phone takes pics after its been lost. AWESOME! Too bad it hasn't been released yet. I can't wait.

http://www.mantragroup.com/devguard.htm
    Anyone have any more information on this product? just sent an email to MantraGroup awaiting a reply.

Thanks
    Mantra Group's DeviceGuard will be out in beta in 2-3 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by experiment626
    Mantra Group's DeviceGuard will be out in beta in 2-3 weeks.
    Don't get yourhopes up. It was 2-3 weeks 6 months ago.
    Bummer..Maybe it's just me but I see a market for such an application. I need more choices! I guess mSafe is the leader?
    I have no idea how anyone gets information from the Mantra Group? I called, emailed and left messages with no reply.
    I tried msafe and something came to my mind.

What if I loose my treo and the one who finds it deletes msafe before I send the remote sms ?
    Don't get yourhopes up. It was 2-3 weeks 6 months ago.
    The beta is available now on their discussion board. Looking very promising but still some kinks to work out:

http://www.mantragroup.com/forums/vi...f455d8c8d551b2

You do need to register on the forums before accessing FYI...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Thanks for the update, scotty. I think I'll take a peep at it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12