Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. craigf's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
       #1  
    Been playing with my unlocked GSM 650 for almost a week now and I've yet to figure out a few things. I searched the forum but didn't find my answers, so I apologize if these have already been answered/addressed somewhere:

    1) Camera is extremely slow to save new photos directly to card -- it generally takes 13-15 seconds between clicking the shutter button and being able to save/trash the photo. In comparison, saving directly to RAM (my preciousss) takes under a second. Is this long lag when saving to card due to (a) my card (Sandisk 512MB), (b) my available RAM (4.1 MB), (c) some combo of those, or (d) something else? 15 seconds is just too dang long to wait, yet moving the photo later is just as painful (which brings me to my next point...)

    2) The Media app seems like a royal cludge the more I use it. Switching from looking at Unfiled in RAM to the card immediately (well, after 20 seconds or so) shows me *all* the photos on the card. This takes freaking forever. So, first, why can't it remember the last directory/album I looked at on the card? Second, why does it take so long to display 12 little thumbnails? The first time pulling up an album is crazy slow since it has to generate the thumbnails. However, once the thumbnails have been generated, it still takes around a second for each thumbnail to appear on the screen when I scroll within the album. How can this be faster? Again, is it a card issue, a RAM issue, or something else?

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I love the 650, despite its quirks, and really hope I can become 100% satisfied with my expensive little buddy.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by craigf
    Been playing with my unlocked GSM 650 for almost a week now and I've yet to figure out a few things. I searched the forum but didn't find my answers, so I apologize if these have already been answered/addressed somewhere:

    1) Camera is extremely slow to save new photos directly to card -- it generally takes 13-15 seconds between clicking the shutter button and being able to save/trash the photo. In comparison, saving directly to RAM (my preciousss) takes under a second. Is this long lag when saving to card due to (a) my card (Sandisk 512MB), (b) my available RAM (4.1 MB), (c) some combo of those, or (d) something else? 15 seconds is just too dang long to wait, yet moving the photo later is just as painful (which brings me to my next point...)

    2) The Media app seems like a royal cludge the more I use it. Switching from looking at Unfiled in RAM to the card immediately (well, after 20 seconds or so) shows me *all* the photos on the card. This takes freaking forever. So, first, why can't it remember the last directory/album I looked at on the card? Second, why does it take so long to display 12 little thumbnails? The first time pulling up an album is crazy slow since it has to generate the thumbnails. However, once the thumbnails have been generated, it still takes around a second for each thumbnail to appear on the screen when I scroll within the album. How can this be faster? Again, is it a card issue, a RAM issue, or something else?

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I love the 650, despite its quirks, and really hope I can become 100% satisfied with my expensive little buddy.

    Dude, I think you either have a bad phone or a memory issue... Just shot a high res pic to my card.. took less than a second...

    Try hard booting the phone..
    Try moving some apps out of phone memory and into card memory (4mb is nothing)
    Try a different Card
  3. craigf's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackvette
    Dude, I think you either have a bad phone or a memory issue... Just shot a high res pic to my card.. took less than a second...
    What kind of SD card do you have (brand/size/speed)? I think that might be the biggest issue here.
  4. #4  
    those standard sandisk are extremely slow, don't know if that's your issue though
    1 | 2
  5. #5  
    Just tested this on my 1gb 60x ATP, takes under a second to snap and save a pic to the card
    1 | 2
  6. craigf's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by MFizzel
    Just tested this on my 1gb 60x ATP, takes under a second to snap and save a pic to the card
    Thanks...prolly time to get a new SD card. I'm in the middle of running VFSMark on 4 different cards with a TC, a 600, and a 650 -- will post comparative marks as soon as I can.
  7. craigf's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
       #7  
    I tested 4 different SD cards on three Palm OS devices (600, 650, and Tungsten C) last night with interesting results. Turns out that the 650 has the fastest SD slot of the bunch by a wide margin, at least for some operations.

    I posted a big table of the results here: http://www.gearbits.com/archives/200...sd512_sd5.html

    HTH...thanks for the suggestions!

Posting Permissions