Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so I got my Treo 650 last Monday, backed up my Palm Vx for the very last time, deleted all the incompatibles and unneccesaries, and finally hotsynced my new T650 with all the add-ons (DocToGo, Adobe, etc) included with my Treo. Then I decided to try out the free one year subscription of Weather Express, and from suggestions of other members in TC decided to install Zlauncher and Ringo Pro.

But wait! My device suddenly says that it only has 10.1M left. No prob - I just bought myself a 1Gb SD card. Problem solved? Not a bit. I used Zlauncher to try and move all apps possible to my giant SD drive but to my surprise, Express, Ringo and other apps don't work when run from the SD card, even with Zlauncher's shortcut capability. All I was able to put in the card were the old games from my Palm Vx. I only have one mp3 I use on Ringo which is already in the card but I still only have 10.5M left on my device.

So after only a handful of installs, I have a T650 with a little more than 10M left and a 1G card that's barely being used. Does this mean that after a couple more installations of apps that don't run on the SD card, my Treo 650 is doomed to stagnate with its current apps?

Is there anyone out there who can give me tips on memory management and how I can maximize the expansion card to give my Treo more flexibility in the future?
    Last edited by askalako; 02/17/2005 at 05:50 PM.
    Click on the link on my sig to see what I have installed and where. I have 12MB free (13 if you dont count the 1MB cache).

I dont keep my email on my Treo, I download it to my PC every day. That eats up space. I have DocsToGo, Acrobat Reader, all games, databases, photos, etc. on the card.

Dont get me wrong - the Treo 650 is definitely memory constrained. 23MB to start of with is peanuts. So unless you can find SD friendly versions of the apps you use that eat up the most space, you are in deep doo doo until the Treo 700 comes out with 128MB of RAM and a 10GB minimicrodrive.... (wild guessing on that last part )
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    1.6MB left on the Treo memory, 453 MB on my 1GB SD card. Of course, I have almost 4000 entries in my contacts list, several games installed, and a bunch of MP3s and Audible books stored on the SD card. You can't be too rich, too thin, or have too much memory storage available.
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    3MB left in mine, 500mb in my 1Gb MMC. Have lots of software in the card, but some of the apps I have (like ePocrates) is a big memory hog. I wish they will have a memory card compatible version soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Click on the link on my sig to see what I have installed and where. I have 12MB free (13 if you dont count the 1MB cache).

I dont keep my email on my Treo, I download it to my PC every day. That eats up space. I have DocsToGo, Acrobat Reader, all games, databases, photos, etc. on the card.

Dont get me wrong - the Treo 650 is definitely memory constrained. 23MB to start of with is peanuts. So unless you can find SD friendly versions of the apps you use that eat up the most space, you are in deep doo doo until the Treo 700 comes out with 128MB of RAM and a 10GB minimicrodrive.... (wild guessing on that last part )
    nice config. me likey
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Express can run from the SD card. You need to highlight each channel individually & then hold down the center NAV until you see a pop up menu. Then select 'move to card'. In order for Maps to work properly you have to leave it in ROM.

Also you have to run the dataviz tool each time you run docs2go, because it moves the app to ROM each time you run it. Unless there is a workaround that I am unaware of.
    7mb
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory J
    Express can run from the SD card. You need to highlight each channel individually & then hold down the center NAV until you see a pop up menu. Then select 'move to card'. In order for Maps to work properly you have to leave it in ROM.

Thanks Cory. I moved all channels except Mapping to the SD and it works great. Now can I move all the DB's that were left for the other channels to the SD card as well?

I now have 13.5M
    now? 6.8mb, no sd card yet, monday will have 1gb sd card coming
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Quote Originally Posted by askalako
    Ok, so I got my Treo 650 last Monday, backed up my Palm Vx for the very last time, deleted all the incompatibles and unneccesaries, and finally hotsynced my new T650 with all the add-ons (DocToGo, Adobe, etc) included with my Treo. Then I decided to try out the free one year subscription of Weather Express, and from suggestions of other members in TC decided to install Zlauncher and Ringo Pro.

But wait! My device suddenly says that it only has 10.1M left. No prob - I just bought myself a 1Gb SD card. Problem solved? Not a bit. I used Zlauncher to try and move all apps possible to my giant SD drive but to my surprise, Express, Ringo and other apps don't work when run from the SD card, even with Zlauncher's shortcut capability. All I was able to put in the card were the old games from my Palm Vx. I only have one mp3 I use on Ringo which is already in the card but I still only have 10.5M left on my device.

So after only a handful of installs, I have a T650 with a little more than 10M left and a 1G card that's barely being used. Does this mean that after a couple more installations of apps that don't run on the SD card, my Treo 650 is doomed to stagnate with its current apps?

Is there anyone out there who can give me tips on memory management and how I can maximize the expansion card to give my Treo more flexibility in the future?
    Wait till you take a few pictures and use versamail
    Treo 700p, 650p 600p, 300p, IIIc, III, Vx, USR Palm Pilot, Newton Message Pad 130, Newton Message Pad 120, (Was there a MP 100?), HP Calculator, Pencil and Paper, Chisel and Rock ....
    I don't think you can move the database files. Honestly I don't understand why the whole app can't run off the card, but it can't. Express is a huge program.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    8.8M at the moment, with quite a few apps, some large (Bejeweled 2 is a monster). I have AvantGo and SnapperMail save to the SD card, and used PowerRun to move several apps to the card. I have a 1G card, largely unused at the moment.
    8.5 here don't delet pics, email.

Have Verichat, Chatter Not alot yet. Many pictures.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    1.27 I have tons of data in my datebk5, launcherX (am thinking about using zlauncher), ptunes, vindigo, avantgo, bejeweled, happydays, holidayusa, solitaire, documents to go and I haven't imported all my contacts from my T2! OMG! I have tons of songs in my 1gb SD card. I still want to use causerie. Pictures I save on my SD card. Emails I read and then delete, same with text messages. I usually get my emails on my PC and archive there.

This reminds me of my Visor and Prism days. My T2 is a dream compared to the T650.
    8.9M free; ZLauncher to put about 30 programs on the card; key programs still in memory (including the ROM items) include Mobipocket, ZLauncher, Docs2Go, Verichat, and Backupman. Could run Mobipocket from the card as well, but I use it all the time...
    17.3 Mb.
    8.3M. not enough.
    You know guys, I've had my Treo 650 for about 3 days, and just reading here how some are so proud of their sub 10mb ram is quite depressing...I've been trying to convince myself on keeping this thing, but only reason I want to keep it is for the screen really, If I could port the screen to the T600 I would be happy...
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    12.1Mb. Every program or file that's capable of running from the SD Card is there except for Webpro 3.01a and PocketTunes. My contacts list is very small.
    Ok sorry to have to ask but how do you find out how much free memory there is on your pda?
    Before you tell me to do a search I tried and came up empty.
    Thanks in advance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast