1.    #1  
    When I set Chatter to sleep from 8:00pm to 8:00am, it still wants to keep the data connection open. Does anyone know why this is?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    That's what the "Offline Disconnect" option is for in Chatter Preferences.

Marc
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    That's what the "Offline Disconnect" option is for in Chatter Preferences.

Marc
    That's what I thought, but I have it checked and it still connects.

This is what I do: I hit Shutdown and Disconnect. It shuts down Chatter and disconnects the data connection. That works.

When I launch Chatter, it automatically makes a data connection. But when its time to go to sleep (or if I start Chatter duing the sleep period), it connects anyway.

Lets say I just leave Chatter be (its asleep, I see a Z8:15am on the bottom right) and I go to Blazer. I browse a bit and hit disconnect. It disconnects and then reconnects right away. Same if I try to go into Preferences-Network and hit disconnect - it reconnects right back. The only way to stop this is to go to Chatter and do Shutdown and Disconnect. I can then go to Blazer, connect, browse, and disconnect, and this time it stays disconnected.

I am assuming that if I shutdown and disconnect Chatter it wont "wake up" the next morning at 8:15, correct?

Did I make any sense?

Thanks for your help.
    Cingular Treo 650
    The way "Offline Disconnect" works (I haven't tried it lately) is that it shuts down the data connection if there aren't ANY Mailboxes online. If it's not disconnecting, then that would be a bug.

Marc
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    The way "Offline Disconnect" works (I haven't tried it lately) is that it shuts down the data connection if there aren't ANY Mailboxes online. If it's not disconnecting, then that would be a bug.

Marc
    Then assuming Chatter goes offline when it is sleeping, then it is not doing it. Something to add to the list. And while I'm on the subject may I just say...

Chatter rocks!

Thanks!

P.S. Update - yes, the Offline Disconnect is not working. I just set my mailbox to offline, I see the big red OFFLINE on the botton right, and it still wants to be connected.

P.P.S. Another update: Okay, this may be an IO error (***** Operator). If I configure the mailbox under Delivery Preferences and check OFFLINE, and then I manually take it ONLINE and OFFLINE with the menu option, it disconnects fine. Im going to set it to ONLINE and then make it go to sleep to see what happens.

P.P.P.S. Nope, it goes to sleep but stays connected. Will only disconnect if I manually take the mailbox offline.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by ZBoater; 02/18/2005 at 01:32 PM.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Hey ZB, I am interested in trying Chatter to compare it with Snapper. With Chatter, the GPRS connection will be on all the time, right? WIll that be a big battery drainer compared to, let's say, the intermittent GPRS connection with the Snapper (user configurable)? I like the idea of receiving my email in real time (like what a BB does) but don't want to do this at the expense of battery life (I have a Treo 650).
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
  7.    #7  
    I found that having Chatter on all day is not that big of a drain. It depends on how many emails you get in a day. Since I use it for my work account, i could get 50-100 emails in one day, and thay would drain the battery faster. I had it on during a weekend, where i got no emails, and the battery drain was not as bad.

You can also set Chatter to work more conventionally, so it will connect, sync and disconnect on a schedule, like every X hours. The developer has put in some pretty nifty features, such as sleep hours (which he is working out some kinks) and offline boxes, which you can sync on demand. For important mail, or for times you have to have immediate access, you can use the Online, always on feature which makes it more like a Blackberry.

The key here is that your mail server support IMAP and the IMAP idle feature. Chatter is not a traditional POP mail client.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Marc,

I've been experiencing the very same disconnect problem that ZBoater described. Sometimes the only way I've been able to get my data to disconnect is to go into the "Edit Mailbox" screen and manually set the mailbox "offline".

Oh... did I mention CHATTER ROCKS!!!

DocGo, I was a loyal Snapper user on my T600. IMHO, If you configure Snapper to check your emails every 30 minutes your battery drain will be greater than leaving Chatter online all the time.

DP
    ovation2 - I'm looking into this.

Marc