1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I have never been fond of cases for cell phones and well now also the Treo. I always keep them naked and bare as I do not like what they look like "dressed" up Also, it tends to make the deive larger and bulkier than it really is.

My question is, do I NEED a case to protect the screen (ie. leather case)?

Or can I just use the Boxwave screen protectors that should be arriving in the next couple of days?

I will be keeping it in my jacket and pants pockets mainly as well.

All comments welcomed....
    thanks

PS. I am currently using the OEM screen protector that P1 Supplied with the 650 in the box.
    As always, keeping it in your pants is the best protection...
    Do you NEED a case? No. Should you get a case? Absolutely. That screen still can get cracked when carried around in a pocket or dropped. A case just provides a little bit extra protection for anywhere from $20-$50 ($130 if you want the newest Vaja iVolution case, but thats another story )

If you dont like form fitting cases, maybe a pouch case would work for you. While its in the case there is some mode of protection. Once you take it out to use it, it is nekkid, so use at your own risk...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    I have also ordered Boxwave screen protectors, but that doesn't stop me from using a Piel Frama case. My biggest concern is dropping it. I have dropped every one of my phones at least once. I guess it's a matter of personal preference and how clumsy you are, but you might want to at least look at what's out there. From skin cases to leather (vaja i-volution are interesting) to metal there are lots of options to protect your rather pricey phone.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Heh heh, Craw. Ah, yes, there's the dilemma.
    Quote Originally Posted by crawform
    As always, keeping it in your pants is the best protection...
    Yeah, but whipping it out and showing it off is so much fun!

Mine's too big for jeans, though.

I ordered a soft Vaja leather wrapper for my wife. It's expensive, but the joy she'll receive is worth it.
  7.    #7  
    hmmmmmmmmmmm
    thanks for the feedback. In that case, I guess I will have to get a case for it. But will not be fond of the bulkyness still :@

and yes....I tend to drop my past phones quite often....clumsy yes

Hope it does not happen with this one though *knock on wood*
    Quote Originally Posted by AznTriniBwoy
    and yes....I tend to drop my past phones quite often....clumsy yes

Hope it does not happen with this one though *knock on wood*
    I don't know about you, but of all the PDAs and phones that I've ever had, the 650 is, by far, the slipperiest.
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by busyba
    I don't know about you, but of all the PDAs and phones that I've ever had, the 650 is, by far, the slipperiest.
    to be honest with u...i had no idea what people meant when they said that it was very slippery.....I know now though....i never though that it would be as "slippery" as it is....:|

I don't use a case, and don't feel the Treo 650 needs one. I have a screen protector from TreoCentral on the screen, and Egrips on the outside. The Egrips not only make the Treo non-slippery and easy to hold, it also helps the Treo stay put where I put it (car dash, countertop, etc.) Then I just carry the Treo in my pocket.

If the worst thing happens and I drop it, I have Sprint's $5/mo insurance plan to replace the Treo if it breaks.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I don't use a case, and don't feel the Treo 650 needs one. I have a screen protector from TreoCentral on the screen, and Egrips on the outside. The Egrips not only make the Treo non-slippery and easy to hold, it also helps the Treo stay put where I put it (car dash, countertop, etc.) Then I just carry the Treo in my pocket.

If the worst thing happens and I drop it, I have Sprint's $5/mo insurance plan to replace the Treo if it breaks.

hmmmmmmmmmmm
    good call
    http://www.egrips.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=499
    however, i would like to see what it looks like with it applied on the phone. Can you take some pics of your phone with the egrips installed? please

insurance....well seeing that i ordered direct from P1 and had it shipped to canada, i am not too sure if they offered insurance anyways. Hmmm...should have looked into this
    Quote Originally Posted by AznTriniBwoy
    hmmmmmmmmmmm
    good call
    http://www.egrips.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=499
    however, i would like to see what it looks like with it applied on the phone. Can you take some pics of your phone with the egrips installed? please
    Here is a picture of the "gun metal blue" Egrips applied to the 650:
    http://store.treocentral.com/content...-54--167-1.htm

Here is another thread where people are talking about the Egrips on the 650:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=67186
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  13. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    I've dropped my Treo650 twice already, once in a dirty, rough parking lot. Fortunately, nothing but cosmetic damage yet. I need to get some egrips or just make some DIY rubber strips to put on the sides.
  14.    #14  
    Here is a picture of the "gun metal blue" Egrips applied to the 650:
    http://store.treocentral.com/content...-54--167-1.htm

Here is another thread where people are talking about the Egrips on the 650:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=67186
    Thanks for the links.
    Appreciate it.
    However (please do not take any offence to this) but I think that it kinda makes the 650 tacky no?

hmmmm....maybe i just like to show off the T650 **** naked....but then again...if you drop it.....what will there be to show off

hmmm....case or grips...:|

I thought the same thing, but I'm rethinking now.

I've got the same setup on my 600. I carry my phone in my pocket pretty much every day. Here are my two problems:

eGrips get nasty and begin to peel off. They collect dirt and dust around the edges and then the plastic layer begins to separate from the glue layer, which is REALLY annoying. They stay grippy, but your phone begins to look pretty disgusting.

Dust gets under my screen. This is a common problem from carrying the Treo in your pocket (search around on the forums) and it happened on my 270, too. There's not much you can do after the fact. I think the dust is mostly entering from the SD slot area.

So I've been thinking of using a skin, but it's not as though the skin covers the SD port area, either.
    I recommend the krusell treo 650 case, its so thin and covers the entire phone very nicley

http://store.treocentral.com/content.../4-20--145.htm

I just got mine and love it.
    I use the SENA case with flip. When I am at work I tend to take my 650 out of it alot, and once its time to go home it goes back in the case. Stays in the case when I am "out and about" and at home as well. Works foe me, I can use it while it is in the Sena and it comes out easy enough to show it off.

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
  18.    #18  
    Thanks for all the feedback....
    I just got an email update that my Boxwave screen protector should be arriving on Monday (I am currently using the OEM P1 one that they sent in the box).

I will see how this goes and if really need be, I will probably get a case then...

BUT still not fond of them

in the meantime...researching BT headsets as well as BT adapters for syncing to a PC.

Side note: Aside for the first random rebooting of the device today, I am in love with this thing....this is my new baby