Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Got my unlocked Treo 650 GSM yesterday. Very cool - a nice upgrade from the 600.

Anyhow I want to be able to tether the phone to my PPC. I can't seem to get the connection to work using the exact same settings that worked like a charm on my Nokia 6230 with Cingular service. Here are the settings I am using:

number: *99***1#
    user name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    password: CINGULAR1
    init string: +CGDCONT=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR"

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    I wished I could help - I've not had any luck getting BT DUN to work with either Cingular or T-Mobile's service. I used the same settings as you and found that with Cingular the dialer on the laptop will dial, will get past the verifying user name and password but time outs at the registering computer on network step. With T-Mobile the connection time outs at the user name and password step.

I spent about 4 hours on the phone with T-Mobile and their techs are pretty much baffled. I've not bothered with Cingular as I haven't been able to call them during their normal working hours (8am-9pm local time) and I don't intend to keep Cingular service (their tech support is horrible, their rate plans are more expensive, I've had 5 data outages after support hours in the week and a half I've been using their service and I can live with slower, more reliable, data service).

I spent the time to wade through the hold queue to speak with P1 yesterday and was not able to get a resolution from one of their Tier I technicians. The tech I spoke with initially claimed that I needed third party software to create a dial up session. Once I pointed him to the .pdf on their website which details the steps required to create a dial up session he stopped telling me I needed another application... I'm supposed to be called back by a Tier II technician sometime today and will hope I can take the call.

So, not trusting that P1 will be able to solve my problem I bit the bullet and purchased pdaNet which seems to be working fine with T-Mo but with which I keep getting random disconnects with Cingular.

...I guess I will be keeping an SE phone in my pocket so I can dial in when I need to as I never have a problem creating and maintaining a dial up session with either of the two SE phones I own. While pdaNet seems to work alright I do have a few strange issues with it - if the connection drops during a dial up session I typically have to uninstall/reinstall the application to make it work again.

Anyway, that's where I'm at with trying to get dial up networking to function properly with both Cingular and T-Mo.
    Last edited by ronin4740; 02/17/2005 at 08:22 AM.
  3. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Thanks Ronin (great car movie by the way). It is somewhat frustrating. One reason I paid up and waited for the unlocked version was to get DUN.

Has anyone successfully tethered their PalmOne unlocked GSM 650's to get an internet connection using Cingular service??
  4. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Got it working. Didn't change any settings - go figure....
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    can you give atep by step for dummies (like me)
    The format for the number to dial is: *99***N#, where N=1~6

When using "1" you are only trying one possibility.

If you type "wap.cingular" in the box for number to dial it should select the right number for you. That is what I do with my SX66 and V551. I don't have my T650 to see if it works. Try it and let us know.

Also, I don't use the extra modem init string.
    Last edited by TonyH; 02/17/2005 at 01:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cec
    Got my unlocked Treo 650 GSM yesterday. Very cool - a nice upgrade from the 600.

Anyhow I want to be able to tether the phone to my PPC. I can't seem to get the connection to work using the exact same settings that worked like a charm on my Nokia 6230 with Cingular service. Here are the settings I am using:

number: *99***1#
    user name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    password: CINGULAR1
    init string: +CGDCONT=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR"

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    try adding "AT" to the beginning of the init string. It's not made clear wether or not windows puts that part in for you.

init string: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR

also, try it with no init string. If you have connected to the GPRS network at least once since the phone was conected, the modem should already know about the IP and WAP.CINGULAR setting and it does not need to know it again until the phone (radio) is reset.

-James
    So, you are using no additional dialing string and are dialing *99***N# where the number represents the entry in the treo you're trying to connect through and using WAP.CINGULAR.COM as the user name and CINGULAR1 as the password and it works?

Hmmm... I may have to try this again and see if I can get past the registering computer on the network.
    (girl alert - pls be nice)
    so I have my toy, and am trying to get this working on my own.
    I've got the gsm from cingular, so it's locked - I haven't run the SIM unlock hacks yet, but that should be immaterial (I just want to use the Cing ntwk in a different way).
    running the patch from SM card (I don't see any file mgmt tools to move things around) - but that runs fine. the option of dun is now visible (as in manual - that was really dumb of them to print that screen).
    now I'm trying to connect in ntwk settings, and am having trouble following the necessary settings you've talked about here.

mine are:
    service Cingular GPRS
    connection wireless dial up
    username wap@cingulargprs.com
    password < - assigned -> input as CINGULAR1 (though seems case insensit)
    phone tried both "*99***N#, where N=1~6" and "wap.cingular" -> there are other boxes for "dial prefix" "diable call waiting" "use calling card" but no place I can see anywhere to input init strings

Questions:
    is there any conflict with the fact that it's subsid-locked?
    where to enter init string?
    do you see any dumb errors?
    thanks - none of my geek friends have done this yet
    I have a slightly different problem. I am trying to use the DUN on an unlocked 650 to access a remote modem instead of using the GPRS service to get to the web. I have a remote machine that auto-answers with an analog modem. I would like to use my laptop with BT to "call" and connect to the remote machine (analog modem) for control purposes. I have a Cingular SIM with WAP service, but no GPRS data plan. Can I connect using the DUN? I would be willing to add data plan if it will get me this service.
    Quote Originally Posted by eleanor
    (girl alert - pls be nice)
    where to enter init string?
    Control Panel, Phone and Modem options, Modems tab, Bluetooth modem, Advanced tab.
    Please go to this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=71567

and read everything carefully. Lots of detail on how to enter info for Cingular.
    OK - so I've made progress, but some of these elements appear redundant, so I'll call out the specific steps:
    1). Install btdun hack. Enable DUN.
    2). Set network for a wireless dun setting. Cingular is Cingular GPRS (service), WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (username), CINGULAR1 (password), **99***1# (phone).
    3). Set up client bluetooth connectivity. I am on WinXP with a Lexar DBT-120, with a My Bluetooth Places interface. DUN is an option, which when clicked prompts for a setup which includes the same pieces of info from above (username, pw, and phone).
    Is there a reason I input the same un/pw/phone twice?
    4). Also I did as Gilliland suggested, and added these same settings (+ the init string) in the bluetooth modem - and that's when I thought of posting. 3 entries of the same info seems insane. I also read the earlier post from superjimbo that said if connect to GPRS ok, then device should know.

I launch the application and it hangs while authenticating, and then the treo says "Unknown application". I basically get that result once per soft reset (Reset me has been very useful).
    I know I'm close.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks a ton for the pointers - in particular Trevor's page was helpful.
    :-)

and dammit guys, one other problem I'm seeing (that I read somewhere in here) was that the system was slow to wake up afterwards. I'm also sometimes losing the responsiveness of the touchscreen sometimes. search isn't working, so post a link if you can
    Last edited by eleanor; 02/18/2005 at 07:36 PM.
  14. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I found this guide helpful. It is from the PalmOne website:

Treo 650 GSM Dial-Up Networking Guide
    I need to know if Cingular DOES really charge by the kb. I was on the phone with their CS and they told me they will

I have the PDAnet plan and want to go down to the $25 unlimited plan.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    If you have a Cingular pay-as-you-go plan or a limited data plan, they will track data and charge you. Look for an UNlimited plan of some type.
    Couldn't get the bluetooth DUN to work: XP -> Unlocked 650 w/Cingular,
    it dials, but just hangs on "Verifying username/password").
    But yet PDANet works fine (over bluetooth).
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    If you type "wap.cingular" in the box for number to dial it should select the right number for you. That is what I do with my SX66 and V551. I don't have my T650 to see if it works. Try it and let us know.
    It worked for me last night! Woot! Man, surfing like that is really slow, but nice for email and finding what you know you're looking for.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by lemongrass
    Couldn't get the bluetooth DUN to work: XP -> Unlocked 650 w/Cingular,
    it dials, but just hangs on "Verifying username/password").
    But yet PDANet works fine (over bluetooth).
    is it better to just use the BT DUN or to use the PDAnet software? Also are you gonna be charged by Cingular for this ? Which unlimited plan do you use ..? Thanks.
    Well... BT DUN is certainly cheaper... It'd be great if I could get it to work,
    not sure why PDANet works but the DUN doesn't.
    I have the unlimited mediaworks plan - it shouldn't matter whether you use
    DUN or PDANet.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast