Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lemongrass
    Well... BT DUN is certainly cheaper... It'd be great if I could get it to work,
    not sure why PDANet works but the DUN doesn't.
    I have the unlimited mediaworks plan - it shouldn't matter whether you use
    DUN or PDANet.
    is it true I hear the 24.99 media net plan is not officially supported for treo 650 ..?
    Buetooth DUN is only half as fast as using PDANet with the cable. As great as bluetooth DUN is in a pinch, the speed increase with the cable is plenty worth it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenTreo
    is it true I hear the 24.99 media net plan is not officially supported for treo 650 ..?
    There are endless threads on this, the Cingular conspiracy and life as we know it.

But to re-cap in short, You can use any data plan you want on the Treo 650, there is no technical or account related restriction. Sales people are trying to push more expensive plans but nothing prevents them from signing you up with a cheaper media works package.

I think it's good and fair to be able to use the cheaper mediaworks package on the treo because of some technical details that CSR's probably won't be able to tell you anything about.

Mainly, the expensive Laptop Plan equips you with a real IP address, and the lesser priced packages give you a fake NAT IP, and restrict some VPN ports. This causes problems for some trying to connect to their coporate intranet but I am just find being able to surf the net all day unlimited without the need for VPN.
    I have an AT&T (now Cingular) $24.99 unlimited data plan originally meant for an Audiovox 5600. I was using a Nokia phone when I last checked, but the system knew whether I was using the phone or I had a laptop tethered. I was not charged extra for the untethered use, but when I connected the laptop I saw charges of $0.001/kb (about $1/megabyte). The rep at the store had sworn up and down that everything was unlimited when he first put me on it, though. I saw they mentioned this charge in the small print so it was fair for them to do it and I just didn't believe the rep. It was still a good deal since I knew I was getting a Treo. My prior plan was $19.99 for 8 or 10 MB. With the Treo I am less likely to use my laptop now. Web sites aren't quite as easy to view, but at least the access is not costing me extra.
    Quote Originally Posted by superjimbo801
    Buetooth DUN is only half as fast as using PDANet with the cable. As great as bluetooth DUN is in a pinch, the speed increase with the cable is plenty worth it for me.
    So with this PDA net, are you using the edge/gprs connection from your phone service to surf on a laptop? Is this kind of like passthru on WM devices?
    I don't know if this is like passthru on WM devices. PDA Net does use a custom modem driver and has an application that installs on the treo. It actually makes setup and use very convenient.

Plug in the sync cable, click on the "connect" button on the treo, and dial up network connects automatically.

I've used BT Dun with the patch and while it does work, it seems to be speed impaired.
    What's speeds are being recorded for PDAnet? BT DUN?
    Chris

Evolution: PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Visor Prism > iPaq 3955 > iPaq 4155 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
    When I connect to the internet via the treo 650 it goes through a whole routine to log into GPRS. Is thie EDGE, or is there something else I need to do in order to get EDGE up and running. thanks

Drew
    so I guess not to be a noob, but I am. does pda net use the gprs unlimited plan I have? is this the pnly option for using gprs to surf from my laptop? all the tether threads are for BT.
    From your laptop you can either subscribe to data connect, or you can do BT DUN. There's no PDA connect for laptops.

Just go to Cingular's web site. They have all the plans listed.
    So what makes the difference between using the BT to connect to the internet and the USB cable to connect to the internet. Am I TOTALLY missing something or just a dumb *** for not understanding?

BT - DUN which connects to GPRS for surfing via Treo on laptop.
    USB - not able to use Treo to surf internet on Laptop with GPRS?

Is this correct?
    GIS--you are missing something (!!). The goal here is to use your T650 as a modem for your laptop. You of course want the best connect speeds (thus GPRS/EDGE or th CDMA version). You need a way for your laptop to talk to your Treo 'modem'. You can do this with BT, or with a tethered (usually USB) connection. For a BT connection, you need to have the Shadowmite BT DUN unlock patch (separate ones for Sprint CDMA and GSM). For tethered mode, you usually need some added software on your laptop and your Treo (like PDANet or Wireless Modem) plus the cable. Both methods should yield identical web browsing speeds. The BT method is elegant, but will eat up Treo battery power. Make sense?
    I just got an unlimited data plan on Cingular for my unlocked treo 650. It cost me $39.99 per month. I would like to see the price come down to $20 or $25. Ask for "Socs code" of "PDVU" to add it to a voice plan or "PDSU" for a stand-alone data plan (49.99/month). It is my understanding that the 24.99 is WAP and has a limited bandwidth and per use data limit (2MB). Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by ag98gie; 02/25/2005 at 06:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIS_guy
    So what makes the difference between using the BT to connect to the internet and the USB cable to connect to the internet. Am I TOTALLY missing something or just a dumb *** for not understanding?

BT - DUN which connects to GPRS for surfing via Treo on laptop.
    USB - not able to use Treo to surf internet on Laptop with GPRS?

Is this correct?
    They are both DUN (Dialup Networking); one uses Bluetooth, and the other uses a USB data cable. In both cases, you are using your T650 as a wireless modem, where you can use your laptop or PC to suft the net.
    Quote Originally Posted by ag98gie
    I just got an unlimited data plan on Cingular for my unlocked treo 650. It cost me $39.99 per month. I would like to see the price come down to $20 or $25. Ask for "Socs code" of "PDVU" to add it to a voice plan or "PDSU" for a stand-alone data plan (49.99/month). It is my understanding that the 24.99 is WAP and has a limited bandwidth and per use data limit (2MB). Please correct me if I am wrong.
    You, or the Cingular rep that told you that, are wrong.

The $24.99 MEdia Net plan is just as good as the $39.99 PDA plan. Cingular wants all PDA's to subscribe to the expensive plan, but it offers no advantages whatsoever.

There are no more unlimited $20 plan. Only those who signed up for them before Feb 14 got them.
    I guess i was hung up on the old days of what Dial up Network meant - i guess i was thinking that people were "dialing" into a service provider. Not using the GPRS to connect and surf.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    You, or the Cingular rep that told you that, are wrong.

The $24.99 MEdia Net plan is just as good as the $39.99 PDA plan. Cingular wants all PDA's to subscribe to the expensive plan, but it offers no advantages whatsoever.

There are no more unlimited $20 plan. Only those who signed up for them before Feb 14 got them.
    Thanks for the information, I will call back tomorrow and get the rep to change it back. I had to use the local rep to get a data plan for my unlocked phone. I have a non-PDA phone on contract with Cingular and just put my SIM in the unlocked 650. When I call *611, after being on hold for 30 min the rep told me that Cingular wouldn't support the unlocked version. He told me this after he looked at my plan and figured out that I didn't buy the 650 from them.

I got the WAP limitations from another thread, username of "noahs".
    Quote Originally Posted by lemongrass
    Couldn't get the bluetooth DUN to work: XP -> Unlocked 650 w/Cingular,
    it dials, but just hangs on "Verifying username/password").
    But yet PDANet works fine (over bluetooth).
    im having the same problem with hanging on "Verifying username/password" any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    stageworks@usa.net
    It's been a while since I set it up, but after reading some user complaints, I recall renaming XP-SP2 BT driver and using the driver that came with the BT dongle.

If I find the forum where I learned this, I will post it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by cec
    Got my unlocked Treo 650 GSM yesterday. Very cool - a nice upgrade from the 600.

Anyhow I want to be able to tether the phone to my PPC. I can't seem to get the connection to work using the exact same settings that worked like a charm on my Nokia 6230 with Cingular service. Here are the settings I am using:

number: *99***1#
    user name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    password: CINGULAR1
    init string: +CGDCONT=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR"

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Just wanted to resurrect this post and thank the forum. These settings worked for me and my laptop.
    I've got a formerly ATT/cing blue 650 that I bought used and unlocked so it would work with my cingular orange sim. I use the lower cost MediaNet plan on it and it does the job.

Now I don't have to wander airports looking for a connection - THANKS!

A few steps that are missing from above:
    Get the laptop and the phone to see each other via bluetooth. Make sure that Dun is enabled on the phone in bluetooth settings. On my dell laptop with XPsp2, I see my phone and DUN is available under services.
    Once that is working, under Device Manager on the laptop I see a bluetooth modem. On that modem I enter the init string. Then I can go into Network Settings and create a new dialup connection using the settings above.