Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hey, I didn't start it, just repeating what is said at other PDA message boards about this place. While any fan board will of course be heavily slanted towards its favorite product, TreoCentral is one of the worst offenders, a definite "homer" board. Its a heavily useful place for information and fixes, and many people are always willing to help but God help you if you complain too hard.

mikec, its good to see that at least a few people around here have a sense of humor and aren't the overly sensitive, politically correct type
    The only issue I have these with these kinds of posts is that there's nothing constructive about them. He didn't ask if there were any solutions or work-arounds to his complaints. He didn't offer any ideas or suggestions. He just complained. Why bother?

As for the opinion of these boards outside the Treo community: Who cares? This IS a Treo board after all. It's designed to provide an exchange of information to Treo users. Having a problem with your Treo? You'll get an answer here faster (and better) than from Palm, Sprint or Cingular. Having a problem with your PPC? So what? This is a Treo forum--find a forum dedicated to your device. You'll get better help there anyway.

Don't like the Treo? That's okay with me, but don't expect to come to a forum that's populated by Treo fans and get a warm reception to your criticism. I don't go looking for PPC forums to post complaints about those devices. I use Canon cameras, but I don't go hang out in Nikon forums and trash their choice. (And if I did, I'd expect to get flamed).

On the other hand, if you don't like your Treo because you're having a problem with it, and you come to TC looking for help, I don't think you'll find a group of people who are any more generous with their time and knowledge.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Welcome to memory gulch.
    Of course, only a few people are affected by the memory issue, according to the execs at F1.

Dale, you vill be punished for ze negative talk! Du bist nein freunde von TC! :-)

(I agree that dissenters are stomped on here, esp. those with legitimate beefs).

Otter, you need to lighten up.
    Remember, three reichs make a left....
    I am light. I wasn't angry, mike. I just called him an *****.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Just remember though, if people don't come forward with problems, no one will recognize them! Personally, I still haven't jumped on the 650, and am staying with the 600 (for now). I'm not worried about the memory issues, as I can deal with that via an SD card. I think one of his problems is due to the goodlink using up a bunch of memory. Especially if he is using a full corporate version that I personally am familiar with.

I am more interested, and concerned about the call quality. Although the GSM version initially appeared to be better than the cdma version, stuff is leaking out now that the GSM is affected also. Thats not good

As for the flaming, I think the same comments can be made about the flamers. If you don't have something constructive to say about the problems, keep the flames to yourself! (ok, flame away)

Personally, I couldn't care less which version (cdma or gsm) is better, cause when I upgrade, I am going for the best carrier in my home area. However, I certainly won't downgrade in voice quality, and that is one issue I think both versions have some problem with. And Shadow's fix for the cdma version is wonderful, but its about time P1 came out and recognized and fixed it on BOTH network versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkevwill
    Just remember though, if people don't come forward with problems, no one will recognize them! ...... And Shadow's fix for the cdma version is wonderful, but its about time P1 came out and recognized and fixed it on BOTH network versions.

Been saying that for a while now, but nobody, least of all PalmOne, seems to be listening....
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I think the 650 is very cool. I had a T600 w/Sprint not too long ago, but I sold that and switched to Cingular. With Cingular, I bought a Motorola MPX220 and sort of liked the clamshell form factor again. I missed the Treo keyboard. When the word came out for the GSM unlocked, I tried to resist but I couldn't. Now I have one all silvery shiny with that bright keyboard and the great resolution on the screen. I'm glad I came back!!!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    The only issue I have these with these kinds of posts is that there's nothing constructive about them. He didn't ask if there were any solutions or work-arounds to his complaints. He didn't offer any ideas or suggestions. He just complained. Why bother?

As for the opinion of these boards outside the Treo community: Who cares? This IS a Treo board after all. It's designed to provide an exchange of information to Treo users. Having a problem with your Treo? You'll get an answer here faster (and better) than from Palm, Sprint or Cingular. Having a problem with your PPC? So what? This is a Treo forum--find a forum dedicated to your device. You'll get better help there anyway.

Don't like the Treo? That's okay with me, but don't expect to come to a forum that's populated by Treo fans and get a warm reception to your criticism. I don't go looking for PPC forums to post complaints about those devices. I use Canon cameras, but I don't go hang out in Nikon forums and trash their choice. (And if I did, I'd expect to get flamed).

On the other hand, if you don't like your Treo because you're having a problem with it, and you come to TC looking for help, I don't think you'll find a group of people who are any more generous with their time and knowledge.
    Bravo!
    Well I love my 650 so far. Of course I upgraded from a separate phone & PDA that were each 3+ years old (SE t39m & Palm m505).
  9. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    After one day of use I must say the 650 is a bigger improvement over the 600 than I expected. I really like it. I guess all the negative posts on the board lowered my expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy
    I had a treo 600 and loved it. I finally received the 650 GSM (unlocked), and I am extremely dissappointed. Its a real let down. All I have loaded up is Goodlink and KeySuite (which has better diary and contacts apps)... the bare minimum and the stuff I HAVE to have... AND I AM ALREADY OUT OF MEMORY!!!! Also, the speakerphone sucks, the speed is barely better than the Treo 600 and even though the screen is better, most apps are still using the same size fonts so I am not benefitting from the increased resolution. OK it looks a little nicer and the keyboard is a little better. If I didnt have a phone then its an OK buy. But for those of you thinking to upgrade. Think twice about what your needs are. $600 for a shiny new phone that is less capable than the old phone ... it doesnt stack up (unlike the memory). The flash storage chip could easily have been 128MB. Thats what this phone needs.
    Don't like it don't buy it. Me, I'm in Paradise City with my Treo 650. I don't think my shoes will fit everybody, but that doesn't make them bad shoes.

Al
    Keep in mind people come to these boards cause they have a problem etc. Think of all the people that have no problems and you don't here about these.
    Those of you who are complaining about negative/problem posts on the 650 aren't offering much to help those in need. People cry out, for the most part, to ask for help. Most of us are adults here and understand human nature/personalities. I, for one, read TC at least 1 hour per day. My posts are low, but that is beacuse I usually find my answers prior to posting. However, as the topic states, it is geared to those who are dissapointed with the device they have been waiting so long for. Personally, I agree with the first post and was looking to add support as well as probe for solutions either from P1 or this group. I am a little embarrassed for some of you. Grow up please.
    TreoCentral is a lively community with plenty of knowledgeable people you can learn from. People go with what best works for them; be it Treo650, PPC phone, or whatever. There are enough forums to go around. I enjoy posting here even though I no longer have my Treo 650 because there's plenty to learn and teach about other aspects of wireless communication.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12