Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I called Pa1mOne yesterday and told them about the following problem - extreme slowdown upon enabling phone mode on my brand new Treo 650 with a T-Mobile SIM card. It gets so lagged that it's almost unusable. On top of that, when I enable Bluetooth for communication with my Scala 500 headset the unit gets so slow that I can't even place a call without waiting about 30-60seconds for it to register that last key I entered. It's truly ridiculous. Palm told me to return the unit, and that they had heard about this problem before - and would send me a brand new unit off the line. They said that the problem registers under their "field testing". I got a kick out of that.

Anyone have similar experience, or better yet - a FIX?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh709
    I called Pa1mOne yesterday and told them about the following problem - extreme slowdown upon enabling phone mode on my brand new Treo 650 with a T-Mobile SIM card. It gets so lagged that it's almost unusable. On top of that, when I enable Bluetooth for communication with my Scala 500 headset the unit gets so slow that I can't even place a call without waiting about 30-60seconds for it to register that last key I entered. It's truly ridiculous. Palm told me to return the unit, and that they had heard about this problem before - and would send me a brand new unit off the line. They said that the problem registers under their "field testing". I got a kick out of that.

Anyone have similar experience, or better yet - a FIX?
    I have had two occasions of this. Even trying to turn off phone took about 60 seconds to register. I could only eliminate via reset. I have unlocked/tmobile also. I am returning phone for another reason ('g' key doesn't work) so I will see what the new one does.

I don't think I had BT on when it happened but now I am not sure. Can you replicate problem at will? Please let me know so I can try.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  3.    #3  
    This is the basic outline of my Treo 650 problems:

Insert T-Mobile SIM Card; to recognize T-Mobile as carrier takes 1.5minutes

When the Treo shuts it screen now, it takes about 4-5 clicks of the red "on" button for it to wake up. Other times it responds instantly. This power unresponsiveness is intermittent but happens every few times the phone shuts its screen.

I go into text message compose. About every 10th letter the Treo freezes up for about 10 seconds. I can't even complete a sentence without the Treo lagging.

On the other hand, non-phone related functions work a little better. Calendar for example is pretty responsive and doesn't experience slowdowns.

Now, when I enable bluetooth for my Scala 500. The phone gets even slower. I try to dial a number, I'm trying "611" for T-Mobile customer care. It takes over a minute for the command to register and the number to dial. Sometimes it takes even longer, and it seems every keystroke I enter is buffered. This is sorta like using Win95 on a 486 and waiting for mouse clicks to register. LOL!

I'm send this POS back today. I really hope the new one I get works better. If I was just using the palm functionality, I'd be really happy. I love the camera and the MP3 player, but my Treo 600 actually responses the second I hit a button...what on earth would cause the 650 with the same SIM card to be so damned slow.
    This is the basic outline of my Treo 650 problems:

Insert T-Mobile SIM Card; to recognize T-Mobile as carrier takes 1.5minutes

When the Treo shuts it screen now, it takes about 4-5 clicks of the red "on" button for it to wake up. Other times it responds instantly. This power unresponsiveness is intermittent but happens every few times the phone shuts its screen.

I go into text message compose. About every 10th letter the Treo freezes up for about 10 seconds. I can't even complete a sentence without the Treo lagging.

On the other hand, non-phone related functions work a little better. Calendar for example is pretty responsive and doesn't experience slowdowns.

Now, when I enable bluetooth for my Scala 500. The phone gets even slower. I try to dial a number, I'm trying "611" for T-Mobile customer care. It takes over a minute for the command to register and the number to dial. Sometimes it takes even longer, and it seems every keystroke I enter is buffered. This is sorta like using Win95 on a 486 and waiting for mouse clicks to register. LOL!

I'm send this POS back today. I really hope the new one I get works better. If I was just using the palm functionality, I'd be really happy. I love the camera and the MP3 player, but my Treo 600 actually responses the second I hit a button...what on earth would cause the 650 with the same SIM card to be so damned slow.

Hi, do you have any background apps enabled? I've noticed this a couple of times and I narrowed it down to 2 things.

1. I mis-configured chatteremail, so it was consuming 100% of the CPU (Well, that's what I assumed anyhow, since the problem went away after I fixed that).

2. VersaMail. That program has caused me endless headaches, I stopped using it now. Also, ever since I applied the latest patch to chatteremail, I've had no random resets (it was seldomly doing it before anyhow), and no slow downs.

The red button issue still exists, however. But not really a big issue.
  5.    #5  
    That's the funny thing - I don't have anything running! It's on factory default,. Mail isn't even enabled!
    That's the funny thing - I don't have anything running! It's on factory default,. Mail isn't even enabled!
    Hmmm... odd.

I did notice something odd tho. I was using a cingular 650 last week. Had it for about 4 days. It was crashing left and right. Very unstable.

I received my unlocked version on Monday. So far, solid as a rock. I'm wondering if it's all the extra crap that Cingular puts on the phone. Or I may simply gotten a dud.

Hopefully everything works out for you.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Have you tried a different SIM card or a SIM from a different provider?

This sounds like a hardware issue, but it never hurts to try.
    I've had this happen twice. It's like anything related to the phone hardware (voice or data) suddenly runs 100x slower at least. One time I toughed it out and got it switch to calendar and the PDA only apps ran fine, switching back to the phone brought back the slowdown. I couldn't get the phone to power off. A soft reset fixed it. I've had it a total of three days now and it's been over a day since the last problem. I'm hoping it's some bug that only the right combination causes. For me it happened during a page download in Blazer. Going back to those sites works fine now though.

It sounds like you are removing the SIM each time? I wouldn't do that, don't know if it's related or not. If you have having it happen all the time, I would definitely get it replaced. I'm waiting to see if it happens again or not before deciding.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Took my unlocked 650 out of the box, immediately put in my t-mobile SIM and up it came. No lag at all. No slow down with my Jabra 250 either. And I've got my memory filled up.
    Im using an unlocked Cingular treo 650 with a Tmobile SIM and so far I havnt had any significant lag or errors at all. Might be a problem with the hardware.
    it happens to me and i just reset, and move on. i ithnk p1 will release a new firmware rom one of these days and this problem will dissapear.
    Well, I guess I'm glad to hear there are others with the same problem - although I had never connected it with my T-Mobile chip. This slowdown just happens too often to live with. It is always fixed by a reset and I have found that eventually it often fixes itself, like if I leave it on overnight when I get up it is unfrozen for a while. I guess I'll, be exchanging mine on Monday.

But are there folks here using T-Mobile on an unlocked 650 who do not have such problems? This would be much more serious if there was a strange link to all T-Mobile SIM cards.

floater
    My 650 locked/cingular works great as a PDA but slows and locks when the phone is on. It is unusable. I have only Z-launcher installed. Also using 1gb 32x lexar card.
    Quote Originally Posted by floater
    Well, I guess I'm glad to hear there are others with the same problem - although I had never connected it with my T-Mobile chip. This slowdown just happens too often to live with. It is always fixed by a reset and I have found that eventually it often fixes itself, like if I leave it on overnight when I get up it is unfrozen for a while. I guess I'll, be exchanging mine on Monday.

But are there folks here using T-Mobile on an unlocked 650 who do not have such problems? This would be much more serious if there was a strange link to all T-Mobile SIM cards.

floater
    mine is unlocked.

I have tmobile sim

I don't think its the sim card.

I had the lag 3 times. I replaced the unit because of that and my dead 'g' key.

Haven't had any lags in my 2 days with new unit. I have had one unprovoked reset.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by floater

floater
    i had problems at first with the phone just disconnecting from the carrier randomly.
    what fixed it was a hard reset and charging it fully. i had a 60% charge out of the box and tried using it right away. after a hard reset I still had problems (and all of this was with zero third party apps), but then charged it fully and things were working great again. I road tested it all week and had an excellent signal in rural areas on the eastern shore of MD that my SE T610 could not previously pick up. I think the phone issue might seriously have to do with my apt building. It's turned off only twice since I've been back for the weekend. Versamail is a buggy app too, or at least very sensitive- I had to delete its contents via FILEZ as at some point Friday, whenever I clicked on the app it would reboot the OS. The 650 has been perfect for me (yet data could be faster as I have an unlocked GSM on T-Mo, so no EDGE) but I will admit so far this seems a sensitive phone.
    Today, whenever I was somewhere with poor reception, my unlocked 650 (with T-Mo SIM) kept resetting. I encountered a lot of resets using Blazer too.
    No problem with VersaMail though.

As soon as I have a good signal, I don't have problem.

Very sensitive phone indeed !
    No problems with My T mo card on Unlocked T650....

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Eagerly waiting for my first reset on T 650....
    My unlocked 650 with my T-Mobile SIM has been working great since day one. no major problems that can't be explained by bad third party apps.

Curious though. what is the age of everyone's SIM cards? Perhaps it's an issue with a specific generation of T-mob SIMs? I know other carriers are using 64k cards now. I dunno about T-mob.

My SIM is the same one I got when I activated my Sidecrap... err kick back in October 2003.
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
    My SIM card is 4 months old.
    my sim is circa late Aug. '03
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast