Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Hello Friends,
    I want to buy the the palm treo smartphone. But I am not sure which model to go for, the 600 or 650. I think that the 650 doesn't offer anything more than the 600 except for bluetooth connectivity. The most important feature that I want out of the bluetooth connectivity is wireless syncing. I don't want to sync everytime with my computer using the clumsy cradle device. I would just like to walk into my office and sync with my PC just by pressing a button. Would this be possible using the 650?
    Otherwise would I get the 'Sync-n-Charge' cable along with the package of the palm treo if I pay a little extra?
    Lots more that the 650 has to offer including the beautiful screen, faster processor, EDGE, nicer keyboard, removable battery, better camera, etc. Bluetooth syncing is nice (and, yes, it is possible), but very slow.

Just my $.02
    Quote Originally Posted by Salil
    Hello Friends,
    I want to buy the the palm treo smartphone. But I am not sure which model to go for, the 600 or 650. I think that the 650 doesn't offer anything more than the 600 except for bluetooth connectivity. The most important feature that I want out of the bluetooth connectivity is wireless syncing. I don't want to sync everytime with my computer using the clumsy cradle device. I would just like to walk into my office and sync with my PC just by pressing a button. Would this be possible using the 650?
    Otherwise would I get the 'Sync-n-Charge' cable along with the package of the palm treo if I pay a little extra?

650 doesn't offer anything other than bluetooth connectivity?!
    man...where have you been?! pluto???

- screen
    - EDGE
    - better camera
    - removeable battery
    - etc etc....
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    EDGE won't be useful for me since I am in India. What use is a replacable battery? Better screen would be useful. What I need is a good syncing mechanism. I would hate to have to use the cradle to charge and sync. So I wanted to know if I get a palm treo will they give the 'Sync and Charge' cable if I pay extra. Is buying a locked palm treo and then unlocking it illegal?
    EDGE won't be useful for me since I am in India. What use is a replacable battery? Better screen would be useful. What I need is a good syncing mechanism. I would hate to have to use the cradle to charge and sync. So I wanted to know if I get a palm treo will they give the 'Sync and Charge' cable if I pay extra. Is buying a locked palm treo and then unlocking it illegal?
    A replaceable battery is very important as batteries tend to degrade over time, and its easier and cheaper to buy a $40 battery than a $500 phone.

Syncing is great, but its a lot faster with the cable than bluetooth. Cradles are not out yet. Bluetooth syncing works, its just slow, and oh yeah, is uses up more battery.

They won't give you a sync and charge cable, but since you are willing to pay extra you can buy one in any Treo accessory store. What they give you in the box is a sync cable that doesnt charge, and a charger that you can hook up to the sync cable (so you have one connector with 2 cables sticking out of it). Very ugly in my opinion.

Buying a locked Treo and then unlocking it is not illegal. Its just very difficult, and unlikely in your case in India. If you buy from Cingular or AT&T, they subsidize the cost of the phone, so you pay $450 instead of $700. They are in essence paying the $250 difference. For that they "lock" their phones so you can only use them with their carrier plans. Your best bet is to get an unlocked phone straight from palmOne, that way you can use whatever carrier you want.

What carriers are there in India?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    What carriers are there in India?
    http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_in.shtml
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I contacted a few shops in India that does the unlocking and they said they couldn't do the unlocking. However, isn't there downloadable software and instructions along with them that we can use to unlock? Is there any recommended website that we can use to unlock the palm treo 650?

In Bangalore, India there is Hutch(Orange), Airtel and BSNL(a government sector company) as service providers. There is no Cingular or AT&T.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Given that treo 600 doesn't have a removable battery? How long will the battery last?
    Hello Friends,
    Salil,
    As others have noted, Bluetooth syncing is a possiblity on the 650, but is slow and therefore not desirable as your primary sync option. Otherwise, the syncing options are largely the same with the 600 and the 650. The syncing and charging cables that are provided with the 650 aren't ideal for traveling, but they are definitely workable. If not, there are alternative cables available from third-parties, such as TreoCentral. At the moment, there is no cradle available for the 650, but palmOne will be releasing one in the near future (we hope). There is a cradle available for the 600. I find a cradle to be a very convenient way to sync my Palm with my desktop. You walk into your office, drop the device into the cradle and push a button. One more step than your ideal scenario, but it's fast and easy.

I think your decision will come down to a financial one, however. If you can afford it, I'd advise going with the 650. There are some useful extra features, such as those mentioned here, and the eventual resale value will likely be higher, since the 650 is about 18 months newer as a product than the 600.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    OK. I think I can go for the Treo 650 but is there any website that allows you to download software and instructions that will unlock the treo 650 for me. Or is there any store in India or USA that will unlock the treo 650?
    You should all dig out your old Palm V's and do a couple of IR syncs before you call BT Syncing slow
    Salil, your best bet is to buy a unlocked version from Palmone through e friend here in the US, or get on Ebay and find someone who will ship worldwide. Moblefly.com may also be a option.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    well I can get it from USA but $700 is a bit over my budget. I am thinking at $479 Treo 650 would be a good bet but I would need to unlock the Treo to use it. So my original question remains can I unlock the Treo 650 using software from a website or is there any store in India that can get it unlocked.
    The only way you are going to get a sub $500 Treo650 unlocked is to buy it with a contract. The carrier is subsidizing the cost of the device, so it is unlikely they will sell you a cheap 650 and unlock it for you without you making any commitment to a plan for them.

I also have not heard of any other method to unlock a device that does not involve the carrier providing an unlock code which is unique to your device. I am sure there is some software that does this for them, but doing so probably crosses the line into fraudulent activity.

Good luck.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    But I do know of phones being unlocked without any help from the manufacturer. Is this not possible for the Treo 650?