1.    #1  
    I am almost embarassed to post this given the nature of the problems many people are having on this board with their Treo 650s. My Treo 650 has been wonderful. It works like champ and have not had any reset problems even with the ton of stuff I got loaded. However, there was this one little nagging problem...

My voicemail number kept changing, particularly when I removed the battery (I bought a spare). It would change to all zeroes. I figured out that turning the phone off and back on again 5-6 times, each time attempting to change the number, it would eventually unlock that field and let me put in the correct number. After the third time this happened, I decided to call Cingular and complain.

The CSR put me on hold and spoke with technical support. It appears my Treo 650 refuses to "save" the VM number. So, their solution is to send me a new one.

I'm almost scared to think I have to give up my baby!!!! Especially if they send me a refurb. It could be a bad SIM I guess. She asked me where I bought it, and I said Cingular.com, of course, and they said they would send me another one. Geez louise.

No wonder they have to charge so much for it. Can you imagine the EXPENSE of having to process so many returns????

I'll post info on the replacement and the exchange process. For those of you having VM number issues, this seems to be the "fix".

Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    The VM number getting screwed up is a common problem with many peoples 650's. For some reason when the 650 tries to retrieve the VM number from the sim, the number gets corrupted and ends up being either a bunch of zeros or a bunch or random numbers, or both. This is a know issue and quite a few folks on here have experienced it, myself included. If your 650 works great other than this, i say hold onto it. You can always create a favorites button, name it voicemail and but the correct number in. That's what i did and it works great. just my $.02.
  3.    #3  
    I can recreate the problem very consistently. If I pull the battery off and/or turn the phone off and on several times, BAM! the voicemail number changes.

Could it be the SIM that is bad or the Treo 650 ability to update the SIM?

I could get the SIM off the new phone and stick it into my existing phone and see what it does, but I'm afraid that if my Treo has some defect it might screw up the new SIM. I guess I could go into a Cingular store and have them exchange it.

You offer good advice though, if that is the only problem with it, I may be getting myself into more trouble with a new unit. We'll see....
    Cingular Treo 650
    Mine did the same thing this weekend when I went from Tampa to San Francisco. The voice mail went to a bunch of numbers and when dialed actually went to Sprint voice mail even though I have a cingular GSM.

It also did a complete reset whenever anyon called me and I tried to answer.

And it would not dial a number I manually put in but only one out of the address book.

I had to do a hard reset to get it to work at all
    A new SIM won't solve the problem. When it happened to me and I called cingular tech support and they did a remote reset of my voicemail which had no effect. If it was me and my 650 was working well other than the VM problem, i would keep it and just create a favorites button.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    It happens with the unlocked 650 and the 64k Cingular SIM... I just went ahead and put in my own Voicemail favorite and bumped the default one somewhere else. It's definitely a bug in the software, not a problem with your device.
  7.    #7  
    I read in another thread that the intitial batch from Cingular supposedly had "issues". Getting a replacement may not be so bad. Since they send it to me before I send mine in, I will play with the new one a couple of days to see if it works. I have gathered a long list of things to look for from reading this forum, so I feel much more knowledgeable than i did just a week ago!

BackupBuddy should get the new 650 up and loaded in no time, and I can try to recreate the voicemail problem immediately, so its a matter of checking the P key, checking my mail with Versamail, letting Chatter run for a day or 2, hotsync some Word and Powerpoint files, and put it through its paces...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Let us know if the 650 they send you has newer firmware than your current one. Just curious
    Drop that phone. I just changed over to a V551 today it has more features than the V600 I had. I liked the Treo650 but this baby is not ready for prime time. Everyone should wait until the T700 especially if you already had a T600. Too many flaws you are the guinnie pigs testing this one out. If you enjoy paying 450-700 to be a Palm beta tester go for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by dohspc
    Drop that phone. I just changed over to a V551 today it has more features than the V600 I had. I liked the Treo650 but this baby is not ready for prime time.
    While v551 is not exactly a T650 replacement it is wonderful little phone. Phone features, performance, and reliability are better than any Palm or PPC phone. I also tether with mine over BT, and transfer contacts and other things over BT as well.
  11.    #11  
    The V551 is a cellphone, and as many features as it may have, it is not a Palm device. That is comparing apples to oranges. I have been using Palm devices for over 8 years, and I believe the Treo 650 is an awesome device converging voice/data with the Palm OS. I like having Merriam Webster's dictionary handy, I like having a Converter for any measurement, I like my Loan Pro program to figure out payments, I like the ocassional chess match. I am not abandoning Palm anytime soon...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Well I have had my At&T 650 for 2 weeks no issues as of yet except. My original order was lost. Call CS & FEDEX. FEDEX blew me off CS filed the claim and sent the replacement. Today to my suprise another 650 was left at my door step what should I do with it return or EBAY it. I feel they have over charged me in the past and this is my reward. So now I have 2. wish I could unlock them.
    sounds like u have 2 phones now. I don't think there is a way for palm to find out that u got the other phone, as long as u didn't sign for the package.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    The V551 is a cellphone, and as many features as it may have, it is not a Palm device. That is comparing apples to oranges. ..................... I am not abandoning Palm anytime soon...
    Take it easy. LOL. No one suggested you abandon Palm, and no one suggested that the V551 is a palm replacement.

Good luck with your replacement Treo650. I hope the voicemail setting is fixed.
    No I only signed for the second one.
    There is now a message on the palmOne message board that this is bug and they are working on it. For a workaround they have you create your own favorite with the correct number. So it seems like getting new one probably won't help until they figure out a fix for this (FYI, the unlocked on T-Mobile doesn't have this problem).

http://forums.palmone.com/pe/action/...ostID=20159264
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by paridah
    No I only signed for the second one.
    then u might be able to keep both the mailman should never leave a $700 package without getting a signature. so, that's their fault right there
    I tell you all, it is not strickly sim, it is not the phone, it is the network push of the voicemail number with that sim. If you can get CIngular to remove the voicemail number push by the network, you can enter the number manually (into speed dial 1) and it will stay there and not faulter. I am 1 week now. (with two phones that were doing it)
    PalmOne is suggesting creating a new favorite for the Cingular voicemail number as a temporary countermeasure till theyfigure out what needs to be done.

http://forums.palmone.com/pe/action/...ostID=20159264