Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Hey,

With MMplayer (T600) this resolution is a tiny square on black screen and when you use zoom (even "best fit") it becomes giant pixels... I use 160X160 resolution with DVDdecrypter and the screen looks pretty good.

Everyone (some of you guys and some manuals) seem to recommend a lower resolution, but don't explain why. Understanding this may be a subjective thing, could someone explain why anyone would not use the maximum or even a little above the max for resolution purposes?

Thanks.
    What?
    Depens on the aspect ratio of the movie. Widescreen movies are shot at a 16:9 ratio, so 160x90 works well and does not horizontally distort the image. Pan&Scan movies (or television shows) are 4:3, so 160x120 should work well.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    Depens on the aspect ratio of the movie. Widescreen movies are shot at a 16:9 ratio, so 160x90 works well and does not horizontally distort the image. Pan&Scan movies (or television shows) are 4:3, so 160x120 should work well.

Hmm, maybe I will try a widescreen movie to test this out (any suggestions?). However, I am a bit skeptical about 160x90, and given a choice I guess I would prefer non-widescreen... (this may be an ah-ha moment)
    What?
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    This is just the age-old 4:3 vs 16:9 debate. I like to re-encode my widescreen DVDs in their original aspect ratio because I would rather see the whole movie (as intended by the director) in a small window than in a cropped box at 320 x 240 or higher. 16:9 equates to 320 x 180 on the Treo 650 and 160 x 90 on the Treo 600.

If your DVDs are 4:3, then obviously you should re-encode in 4:3. Your DVDs are already cropped, so why crop them more?
    Last edited by aldamon; 02/17/2005 at 07:24 AM.