Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anybody else having trouble with the Scala-500? I just got one from eCost.com, great price, but it only works well if the phone is 2 feet from the earpiece. Is there some way to increase the bluetooth signal on the phone or something? I read one guy saying he used it all over his house? I can't even put the phone in my pants pocket.
    Ditto. It's just a $35 headset with the 650;s mediocre Bluetooth implementation, unfortunately.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
    Ditto!

It works like crap 80% of the time and then the other 20% it works "okay".
    Range isn't as great as my old BT200 with dongle, but its more than adequate, and comfort, weight, size, and features (i.e. answer/end, automatic audio transfer, ignore call) MORE than make up for it. Its by far the best headset I've ever owned, and I've tried them all.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I don't really think it matters which is the 'best" headset. I think it is which is the best for "you". From reading all the threads and trying several, it seems to depend upon a great many variables. The Treo is obviously fairly worthless as used with a bluetooth headset the way bluetooth should perform. It seems that the main variable for each person is the environment in which they are going to be using their headset. I may be wrong, but I have tried Scala 500, HS820, BT250, HBH-660, and BlueTrek G2. They all performed pretty close to one another. With the exception of a slight volume difference for those that fit in the ear a little better. They all had static at some time or another. None had the range that a bluetooth device should have. They all seemed to have fairly good voice quality on the other end most of the time. So again, I have drawn my own conclusion that a persons environment has a great deal in determining which bluetooth headset is right for them.

I'm probably wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
    No, JohnH59. I agree with you 100%.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    JohnH59, I think you've nailed it perfectly. Each person's experience and environment will be unique to some degree. For me, I keep my Treo in my shirt or pants pocket or have it sitting close by (table/desk or car seat) so BT range is never an issue. The Scala's static is something I've never really noticed; it's only there if I think about it. The headset's performance has been great and I have no complaints. But that's in my environment (which includes WiFi & 2.4GHz cordless phones); YMMV.
    - Fushigi
    I have static issues with my Scala 500 only in my house. In the car, or even when I walk outside, the static is virtually gone. In my house, with my phone in my pocket there is lots of static.
    Looking for a cell phone or cell accessories, check out http://www.marcusblade.com.
    I just got my Scala yesterday. If you are running WiFi, you will get some static or pops. When I was driving in this morning, I called my Voicemail and it was clear. Work is clear too (No WiFi at work either). If you do have WiFi you may want to set it to channel 1 or 11 as these will likely cause the least interference, or you could upgrade to 802.11a which is in the 5 GHz range. Mine wasn't too bad at the house event when right next to the PC with the WiFi card.

I will say that I am very impressed with the Scala. For $39, you get bluetooth headset with a charging dock. I may buy a second dock and and car adapter for $11 for my car. I would say based on all of the reviews that I have seen for BT headsets for the 650, and apparently poor BT support on the 650, that the Scala is an excellent choice for both price and performance.
    Got my replacement Scala today (direct from Cardo) and it's great. It has a cool new "turqoise" led instead of the blue (which seems to be less annoying at night). I might not have to take this one apart and cover the led with white paper!

It INSTANTLY transfers calls initiated on the phone even before the call starts ringing sometimes!...no more 2 second (or 3 second?) delay.

There is still some crackling in wifi environments, but come on, guys...these are not bt 1.2 headset/phones. And it *is* the Treo's BT that is the sucky factor here.

Call volume is great.

I've only tried two calls so far, but I'm happy so far.
    Please...what is the number to get the replacement???
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
  12.    #12  
    Well, mine works good if you hold the phone up near your ear, but that's just useless to me. So sounds like there is no way to boost the signal. I got my RMA# for the Scala, but I think I'll research it some more. Perhaps some sort of antenna mod would help?
    that's not normal. In non-wifi environments, I can use my Treo 650 / Scala when they're up to 15 or 20 feet (or more) apart. Sure, at those distances, I might get some static...but *definitely* no static at arm's length distances.

Make sure your Scala and Treo are fully charged...I would charge both for at least 4 hours just to be sure...

When my Treo's battery is very low, I notice the reception gets worse.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600guy
    Please...what is the number to get the replacement???
    http://www.cardowireless.com/contact.php
    - Fushigi
    Don't even bother trying to e-mail these people. I've sent 4 e-mails and have not had one responce back from them.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I called Cardo's tech support during their normal business hours and they were very helpful. The headset is still a semi-POS, but I have not had any negative experiences w/ their tech support.
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
    My replacement (with a turquoise light instead of blue) came today. So far hard to tell because I haven't had enough test with it, but I do notice the sound is not as loud. My initial test with it in my left pocket (which previously led to much static) seems better. I'll try some more and let you know if I see much difference.
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I just got mine and find it is very sensitive about how you set in into its charging cradle. To begin with, the red charging light came on, then went off again. I have to keep fiddling with it before it will settle down to charge. I'm concerned that, if the light goes out when it's become unseated, I may think it's charged when it isn't.

Anyone else having this problem?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Yes Biggles! That's my biggest problem...I think that the majority of my static issues have been right when the battery was maybe 25%(guess) or so. And that has happened numerous times after I thought it was fully charged. I think this has to do partially with the relatively light weight compared to the earpiece which throws it off whack just enough on the base. Too bad I think I shredded the receipt yesterday, otherwise it'd be on it's way back...
    Sooner or later it's bound to be later...
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Just what I feared! It says the first charge must be for 4 hours, yet the light's just gone out after only two.

I played around with it some more (when you do that, you get periods when the red light is only on very faintly, must be a bad connection) and now it's back on again. No idea whether it's charged up or not.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast