Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Not sure if anyone has seen this before, but....

In the system, preferences menu, under "buttons", I've selected Chatter to be launched when pressing the "email" hard button. I also use Seven, and I've got it mapped to the "option + email" hard button.

However, whenever my Treo soft-resets, either from me intentionally resetting it, or from a bogus app causing it to reset, it changes my button preference to be Seven rather than Chatter for the email hard button. It does this every time.

In Chatter, I've got the "Make Chatter default email app" option selected. In Seven, there is no such option. I'm runnning version 1.0 of Chatter.

Has anyone else seen this or have any guesses? I'm not sure if it's a Chatter problem at all, or if somehow Seven is trying to "take control" after a reset....
    Do you have "Make Chatter Default Email App" checked in Prefs?

Marc
    I run Sprint's Business Connect client in addition to Chatter. Sprint BC is Seven's code. It is draconian in its methods of taking control of buttons and default settings.

It takes over the e-mail button and sets itself as the default e-mail application after a reset.

I have to go to the system preferences and set my hard button back to Chatter. Then I launch Chatter and Chatter then sets itself back to being the default e-mail app (as I've told it to be in its settings).

So basically, even though Chatter is set to be the default e-mail application within its settings, Seven's code seems to run first and sets itself up as the default application (at least until Chatter is launched).

One curious note: If you go to system preferences AFTER as reset, but BEFORE you launch Chatter... Chatter will be missing from the list of applications that can be chosen to be the default e-mail app. It doesn't appear in the list until AFTER you manually launch Chatter. In the meantime, Seven (Sprint BC) and VersaMail will be all that are listed, and Seven (Sprint BC) will be the default e-mail app.

I guess it's a matter of which APIs the coders happened to have access to and how agressive they made the program.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Do you have "Make Chatter Default Email App" checked in Prefs?

Marc
    See the 2nd to last sentence in my first post...

What do you think Marc? Do you think this is a problem with Chatter not doing something it should be, or with Seven being too "agressive" with assigning itself to the email button?
    Last edited by Minsc; 02/16/2005 at 08:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget

One curious note: If you go to system preferences AFTER as reset, but BEFORE you launch Chatter... Chatter will be missing from the list of applications that can be chosen to be the default e-mail app. It doesn't appear in the list until AFTER you manually launch Chatter. In the meantime, Seven (Sprint BC) and VersaMail will be all that are listed, and Seven (Sprint BC) will be the default e-mail app.
    Hmmm, that doesn't happen to me. Chatter is definitely there in the list of choices. -Regardless of whether or not I've started Chatter again after the reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Hmmm, that doesn't happen to me. Chatter is definitely there in the list of choices. -Regardless of whether or not I've started Chatter again after the reset.
    To clarify, it IS in the list of applications for adding to a hard button, but it's definately missing from the list for setting the default e-mail application, at least in my configuration.

Well, I'm sure there are some differences in the code between Seven and Sprint BC (even though Seven made both products). In any case, this has been the behavior on my Treo 650 since I began using the two products.

It's something I can live with since once I manually launch Chatter it becomes the default e-mail app as it should (and adds itself to the list of e-mail apps becoming the default e-mail application). It just waits until I'm in Chatter before it does so.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Whether it's in the list depends, I suspect, on whether you have auto-start enabled. Auto-start registers Chatter as an email app; otherwise, you'd have to start the app to do this. (Note to self: I should do the registration regardless of auto-start).

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Whether it's in the list depends, I suspect, on whether you have auto-start enabled. Auto-start registers Chatter as an email app; otherwise, you'd have to start the app to do this. (Note to self: I should do the registration regardless of auto-start).

Marc
    I have auto-start enabled, but it doesn't make a difference. I must actually go into Chatter after a reset to get it to become the default e-mail application, and only then will it appear in the list of applications under the default e-mail application preference in the Treo's system preferences.

I'm sure this is only because I have Sprint's Business Connect software running.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

I COULD be more aggressive...

Marc
    I used to have the same problem with Seven taking over the Email button after a soft reset, but once I moved the Seven launcher (SEVEN.prc) to my SD card the problem went away. Now I run it from the SD card using LauncherX, but I suppose you could also use PowerRun or some such. It solved the button problem, and freed up 900K of RAM!

Hope this works for you.
    May work for Seven but isn't an option for Biz Connect. They made it so it won't run from a card. In fact it doesn't even have a launcher icon. It starts automatically in the background after a reset.

Once you run the "Get BC" app (which is in the ROM), if you use a file manager application to move the resulting BizConn.prc file, the program reverts back to its preinstallation mode and will no longer function until you put it back in RAM.

Like I said: DRACONIAN. Sprint made sure that Seven (the company that made BC) ensured that the program couldn't be dismissed or manipulated very easily.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    Like I said: DRACONIAN. Sprint made sure that Seven (the company that made BC) ensured that the program couldn't be dismissed or manipulated very easily.
    Wow, that sucks. I think I found a workaround for you though.... it's gonna set you back $12, but there is a 14 day trial available. Get ButtonSwitcherPro and configure it to launch Chatter instead of BC when you press the email button. It should override BC's settings - at least it does on my Treo 600 - and keeps working even after a soft reset.

If you do try it, please let me know if it works for you!
    This is all a bit like a discussion about Microsoft products on your PC (Browser, Media Players and now virus software. While it is in their best interest to do this (Microsoft ... Sprint) it also can lead to a revolt. :-) The fact that GetBC is burned into the ROM also is a more than subtle clue that they want to promote their solution first, for better or worse.