1.    #1  
    I know this has been discussed before in other threads, but always amongst other more general threads. I would like this thread to be deveoted to the successful settings people use when creating AVI's for the Treo 650, and the performance.
    This might lead to learning things from each other, and improving our own conversions.

Here's what I use:

Video:
    Codec - 2pass Xvid (Trust me, the 2 pass is worth it)
    Resolution - 320 x whatever (240 for 4:3 and 180 for 16:9)
    Bitrate - 225-275 kbps (depending on how important the visual aspect of the show is)
    fps - 20 (sometimes I keep the original 23.976, but I see no difference in 20)

Audio:
    Bitrate - 40-56 kbps (I've never felt the necessity to go higher)
    Channels - mono or stereo, depending on content.
    Frequency - 22050 Hz

Notes:
    -Whenever I use 22050 Hz, I get an audio sync problem, but it's consistent, so I just use the built in sync corrector (I set it anywhere from -5 to -10) and it works perfectly for the rest of the movie.
    -I also use AviSynth for the resizing (much faster), but that is another issue altogether. Let me know if anyone wants more info on AviSynth.

Thanks for sharing, and feel free to comment!
    For some reason I can not have my mmplayer read my .avi file on my card. I have the full version of pocket dvd and was able to record an avi from another file, but now i can not play it using mmplayer....any ideas? i do have the free version of mmplayer, i did not register, does that make a difference?
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I too having trouble getting the paid version of the MM Player to play video I have converted using the paid version of Pocket DVD. Plus, I have music videos already on an SD card and not only does it not read them, it also does a soft reset when I change skins. WTF ?
  4.    #4  
    This thread was intended to be about encoding settings, not issues with mmplayer. For cingularguy and ehosey2, you will need to say exactly what you mean by "does not play" or "does not read them." What does the program say? Does it simply not respond? Are you using a 600 or 650? Preferably ask your question again with more info in a new thread, or an older related thread.

To everyone else, post your encode settings (this includes the "Pocket..." programs, not just virtualdub)!!!
    I'm a novice at all of this video encoding stuff. Can you please explain "2pass Xvid"? What are the advantages? What do I need & need to do to use?

Thanks!
    well for me I just can not find a way to read my card at all from the mmplayer, it is like it is missing a component that allows the card to be read
    Quote Originally Posted by handtruck
    I know this has been discussed before in other threads, but always amongst other more general threads. I would like this thread to be deveoted to the successful settings people use when creating AVI's for the Treo 650, and the performance.
    This might lead to learning things from each other, and improving our own conversions.

Here's what I use:

Video:
    Bitrate - 225-275 kbps (depending on how important the visual aspect of the show is)

Audio:
    Frequency - 22050 Hz

Notes:
    -Whenever I use 22050 Hz, I get an audio sync problem, but it's consistent, so I just use the built in sync corrector (I set it anywhere from -5 to -10) and it works perfectly for the rest of the movie.
    -I also use AviSynth for the resizing (much faster), but that is another issue altogether. Let me know if anyone wants more info on AviSynth.

Handtruck, how are you converting the decrypted DVDs to AVI files, FlaskMPEG or something similar. How about settings for those as well, as I assume it affects the outcome.

I've been using single pass Xvid since I wasn't sure how to configure two-pass correctly. I can see I can change the encoding type to Two-pass - 1st pass and Twopass - 2nd pass but wasn't sure how to set that appropriately.

I've been using framerate of 29.970
    Frame rate conversion: Process every other frame (decimate by 2)

For audio, are you using the Lame MP3 codec? I can only get the standard formats to work, all others when I try to save gives me an error in Virtualdub.

Also, any idea how to increase the volume? I can see in Virtualdub you can do that but haven't tried. Wasn't sure if audio bitrate played any role or if it's up to the System or Game sound on the treo (which one applies to MMPlayer) if that helps the audio from MMplayer.

Thanks!

P.S. Got started with this based on the instructions by Tekara which helped me immensely:

http://tek.8m.net/mmplayer_DVD_copying.htm
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  8.    #8  
    There are so many different ways to make a DVD into an avi file. I, too, got my start with the Tekara instructions, but that just led me to what I do now, which is much different from those instructions.

It would be too much to get into exactly what I do (and why, because I just started researching the "why" as opposed to just following a guide), but basically I use DVD Decrypter in IFO mode and just rip the movie I want. I also demux all the tracks so the ac3 and m2v are separate (you can do this with DVD Decrypter).
    For the video, I use DGIndex (formerly DVD2AVI) to create a d2v file which I then use to make an AviSynth script to input into VirtualdubMOD.
    For the audio, I use Besweet to convert to MP3. Alternatively, you can download the AC3-ACM decompressor and do the conversion right in VirtualDubMOD (both methods using the LAME codec).

Ironically, I do all these steps because of SPEED. VirtualdubMOD can actually decode VOB's and MPEG2 files, but it is SLOW when using the built in filters. The filters in Avisynth work out faster in Virtualdub, because it makes Virtualdub think it is a pure avi file.

Do some research into AviSynth, DGIndex, and VirtualdubMOD. You'll learn how to create great backups to your DVD Movies for standalone mpeg4 players, your computer, and your Treo.

Why 2-pass Xvid? Because during the first pass, it will save a file which contains information as to where the encoder should pay the "most attention" to on the second pass. There is plenty of info out there on how to do this.

The best places to get started on video conversion is videohelp.com and doom9.org.

I know this is a lot of info, so I will leave you with one bit of information: The best one step tool out there (DVD to AVI) is AutoGK.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    I use PocketDivXEncoder:

My settings are:

Resolution = 320x240
    Video Quality = 20 (360k bitrate)
    Audio Quality = 4 (64k stereo)
    2 Pass encoding
    All other settings at their default.

My King Arthur movie came in at 460 megs but the quality is outstanding and the sound is great and in stereo. No problems at all in mmplayer. I can bookmark, fast forward, rewind with no audio sync problems at all.
    My settings are:
    DivX Pro 5.2.1 (2-pass)
    Video 320x240, 300 kbps
    Audio 22050 Hz, Stereo, 40-48 kbps CBR

I use VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod for most of my encoding. I also bought Dr. DivX, which gives me a licensed copy of DivX Pro. I use Dr. DivX if I am in a hurry or just want to a single job.

I do most of my encoding in bulk so I can kick off a batch of jobs and have them run while I am asleep or at work. For this I use a program called DubMan, which invokes VirtualDub to do the encoding.

I was able to grab the script file PocketDivXEncoder uses to correct sync problems, and have added this as a step in my DubMan script. It works really well.

If anyone wants a copy of my VirtualDub settings files or DubMan job files just let me know. I am also considering writing a quick quide if I can find the time.

Here's what I use:

Video:

Audio:
    Frequency - 22050 Hz

Notes:

handtruck,

How large was your final AVI file using your settings?

Thanks.
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
  12.    #12  
    Generally my avi's are about 80-120 MB per hour.
    I know that seems like a big range, so here are some examples: I have the entire Godfather Part I (3 hrs) at 360MB. I have 40 minute TV eps at 90MB.
    Here's what I use:

Video:

Audio:
    Frequency - 22050 Hz

Notes:
    Hi handtruck,

I've been doing some tweaking of my settings and am curious about how they compare to yours. Do you ever encode 4x3 content, or just 16x9? The reason I ask is because it seems as though the 650 doesn't have a problem with the bitrate as much as with the framerate.

I have been converting a lot of CSI episodes from MPEG2 to DivX. I get a lot of dropped frames when I keep the original frame rate of 29.97, but get very few dropped frames if I change the fps to 19.98. I did a few at 15 fps, but 19.98 is noticably better. I chose 19.98 since it is exactly 2/3 of 29.97, but I don't know if this really matters.

For 16x9 movie content, the 650 handles the orginal framerate of 24 fps quite nicely. I wonder if the limiting factor is the 650's rendering speed rather than the decoding speed. I downloaded the Kinoma demo and noticed that the highest quality preset for the 650 is 400 kbps video - 320x240 - 15 fps, 96 kbps audio - 44.1 KHz stereo.

Kinoma uses mp4 for video and aac for audio. I am going to try encoding some samples using similar bitrates for DivX/mp3 and see how they look. Have you tried higher bitrates with 15-20 fps framerates? Also, are you aware of any sync problems with using custom framerates rather than the "decimate by 2" setting?
    Last edited by jason531; 03/04/2005 at 04:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevroc
    I use PocketDivXEncoder:

My settings are:

Resolution = 320x240
    Video Quality = 20 (360k bitrate)
    Audio Quality = 4 (64k stereo)
    2 Pass encoding
    All other settings at their default.

My King Arthur movie came in at 460 megs but the quality is outstanding and the sound is great and in stereo. No problems at all in mmplayer. I can bookmark, fast forward, rewind with no audio sync problems at all.
    I too encoded king arthur using pocketdivx encoder....

Bitrate 230
    2 pass
    B frames
    xvid

My file size was 520mb!!!! Much larger than yours considering the bitrate... It looks awesome, but I don't understand how it is so much bigger. Any suggestions? I didn't change the framerate.....
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    I didn't change the framerate either. It could be your audio settings. I did not use b frames. It's my understanding that b frames makes the file smaller without sacrificing quality.

I am curious about the use of AviSynth. I have used it for DVD material, but for captured MPEG2 I have just been using the native support built into VirtualDubMod. I am only resizing and changing the frame rate. Is there a compelling reason to use AviSynth?

Thanks for your help!