Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How come I never see this issue get raised???

Am I the ONLY CHUMP that needs to get mergic VPN working with a treo 650 on Cingular network???

I can't get Mergic VPN to work with my treo 650 on Cingular. I have the $40/month pda plan.

ANYONE????
    This is has been raised.

If you are using MediaWorks there is no way no how MergicVPN will ever work.

Media works is TCP/IP but unlike the full (expensive) data package, you don't get a real IP address.

You will probably need the laptop data package as I've heard that is the ONLY data package that gives you a real IP address.

That being said, most IP apps work just fine on the Treo 650 with MediaWorks, because they don't care about having a real or fake IP address, but the VPN will not work.

I'de like to be proven wrong but I used Bluetooth DUN from my laptop to verify that any kind of vpn (not just MergicVPN) will not work.

I have gone as far as trying to log in using the ISP username and password for the more expensive data package and the service (true ISP with real IP) is physically locked out by an account flag.
  3. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    I wish I could get this to work also.
  4.    #4  
    on phone with cinuglar right now...switching over to the data conncet plan (what a jip)...once its done, i'll test mergic again to see if that works...
    What is data conncet plan? Counldn't find it on their site.
    VPN is for chumps.

Sorry you are stuck with it.

A 90's technology which is an albatross in today's corp world.
    That's news to me ... what are the alternatives to VPN?
  8.    #8  
    goto "Rate Plans" on Cingular.com, and when arrive to the page, change the tabs to "Data Plans"

I just got mine switched over from PDA Plan to Data Connect, and works like a charm now
    Quote Originally Posted by jimma
    That's news to me ... what are the alternatives to VPN?
    A lot of people are tunneling through SSH, I don't know if windows supports it (probably does somehow). I've used SSH without issue on the 650. It supports strong trusted key encryption and doesn't need a real IP as far as I know.

IPsec won't work because the latency it to long for the negotiation key check whatever thinger it does (as best I understand it).

VPN (Microsoft PPTP) is there because it's been there forever, but I can see how it would be considered outdated.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadraw
    on phone with cinuglar right now...switching over to the data conncet plan (what a jip)...once its done, i'll test mergic again to see if that works...
    If your 650's APN is changed from wap.cingular to isp.cingular, you should get a real internet IP address. The username and password should change as well.

Keep in mind it could take god knows how long for this to go through their system and provision. I would hope it would be fast as my Mediaworks was up and running before I left the store.

You can see if this has been changed by going into the Prefs app, and go into Network. Find Cingular GPRS under the Service drop down box and it should display the APN.

I am curious as to how this works out for you.

I've heard this $39.99 plan does NOT give you a real IP so I don't know what good it's for over Mediaworks Unlimited (pre- 2/11/05).
    Quote Originally Posted by superjimbo801
    A lot of people are tunneling through SSH, I don't know if windows supports it (probably does somehow). I've used SSH without issue on the 650.
    What SSH client are you running on your Treo that supports tunneling?

BTW, "putty" is a good ssh client for Windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadraw
    How come I never see this issue get raised???

Am I the ONLY CHUMP that needs to get mergic VPN working with a treo 650 on Cingular network???

I can't get Mergic VPN to work with my treo 650 on Cingular. I have the $40/month pda plan.

ANYONE????
    This subject comes up a lot, actually. Here are 4 of many threads that mention VPN on Cingular, and there are many more. Search the forums for "Cingular AND Mergic AND VPN"
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=73300
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=73169
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=72501
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=71266

As has been basically stated above, the problem is that Mergic is PPTP VPN.
    PPTP VPN will not work over NAT.
    MediaWorks, Media Net, and $40 PDA Connect give you a NAT IP address (when you're connected to the wap.cingular APN.)
    The expensive (laptop) data conect plan ($30-$80) does give you a real IP (on the isp.cingular APN) PPTP (Mergic) VPN should work (as I believe was confirmed above already.)

IPSec VPN can and does work on over NAT. MovianVPN is the only one on Treo that does IPSec VPN. Unfortunately it's not for sale, but another thread on TreoCentral discusses how to get it.

I have Media Works on Cingular.
    I have not personally made Movian work on the 650 (haven't had the chance.)
    I DO use PDANet to (Cisco IPSec) VPN from my laptop in to work over the Treo as a wireless modem, so IPSec definately works that way (I think it's port 1000?)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    PPTP VPN will not work over NAT.
    This is not true. I do it all the time with the WindowsXP PPTP client behind a NAT router. It's more likely that Cingular simply blocks the necessary ports (or perhaps that the Mergic implementation does not work with NAT).

Have you tried contacting the Mergic author? In the past he has been very responsive and tends have the latest info on which service providers block what services as well as any known tricks to make it work.
    I don't know if this helps, but I am using AT&T (Cingular blue) with my Treo 650 and Mergic with success. So, at least it is possible on the "blue" side of Cingular.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Chumps? Not likely. Tons of companies use VPN for remote works to gain access to their corporate networks. Not sure where you are getting the idea that i's a joke.

As for VPN, I'm using the Certicom movianVPN sucessfully on my Treo 650 on Sprint. I really only use it to VNC into servers to manually reboot them.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    VPN is for chumps.

Sorry you are stuck with it.

A 90's technology which is an albatross in today's corp world.
    jimma,
    yes, vpn is dead.

alternative include:
    - ssh (already mention)
    - SSL POP or IMAP
    - Secure Web proxies, ex. Netscreen
    - SSL web services (or other protocols)

There is very little that needs access that justifies the cost and overhead of VPNs.

Most corps are still hard shell, soft center (like a peanut butter M&M) when it comes to security, instead of "lemondrop" (hard throughout)
  17.    #17  
    I had to configure the APN, Username, and Password. I was able to do that while still on phone with cingular data support. I made sure it worked before hanging up with them, because I didn't want to wait for another hour to reach a data support.

I had the pda data plan ($40) prior to this, and no real ip, therefore couldn't get vpn to work. With data connect, vpn is working like a champ. I'm quite happy with it (not so sure once I receive the bill).

Quote Originally Posted by superjimbo801
    If your 650's APN is changed from wap.cingular to isp.cingular, you should get a real internet IP address. The username and password should change as well.

Keep in mind it could take god knows how long for this to go through their system and provision. I would hope it would be fast as my Mediaworks was up and running before I left the store.

You can see if this has been changed by going into the Prefs app, and go into Network. Find Cingular GPRS under the Service drop down box and it should display the APN.

I am curious as to how this works out for you.

I've heard this $39.99 plan does NOT give you a real IP so I don't know what good it's for over Mediaworks Unlimited (pre- 2/11/05).
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    There is very little that needs access that justifies the cost and overhead of VPNs.
    That's a nice wide sweeping inaccurate statement. The reason why corporations like solutions like VPNs and Blackberry devices is the centrally managed policy system which allows:

a. The ability to kill access to a lost device from 1 location
    b. The ability to update access policies depending on business needs from a central location (vs. updating policies for each individual server)
    c. The ability to keep those that don't belong from even reaching the services

ssh, pop3s, imaps and SSL web services are great but are essentially open door. The data that it uses is secured, but access to the services themselves are not secured. Anyone can try their key in the door, and once you're in there's no policy to exclude your access. Firewalls can restrict by IP and create trust relationships, but the VPN exists to manage trust outside of the domains and IPs known to the enterprise.

For what it's worth, your example of Netscreen is a bad one anyway, because for all intents and purposes it is a VPN device. Call it what you want, but even Juniper calls it a VPN.
    I maintain that VPN is really a laptop paradigm - there are lots of handheld-specific apps to get to the back end. What is it you need VPN for?
    For example, you might want to check out Avocent's 'Sonic' suite of IT admin tools via a handheld (and no VPN) - www.avocent.com

And to use a general example, wireless email on a handheld (whether it's Treo or RIM, or ANY) does not ever use VPN. Using VPN to access email is what IT folks are used to, generally, and they want to apply laptop 'stuff' to the world of handhelds.

Just curious what app you're wanting VPN for.....
    Quote Originally Posted by FletchFFletch
    What SSH client are you running on your Treo that supports tunneling?

BTW, "putty" is a good ssh client for Windows.
    Well the idea would be to do it through bluetooth DUN from Windows.

I jsut used a opensource SSH telnet client to get into my home linux box but I haven't really explored what all can be done. I don't know if their is software to do tunneling over ssh on palm.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast