1.    #1  
    I've been using my Treo 600 to listen to music and books on tape over my car's speakers by plugging in a cassette adapter audio converter into the headphone jack and loading the adapter into my car's cassette player. In addition, I could use the 600 as a car speaker phone with the same setup - the voice of the person I was calling would come out over the car speakers, while my voice would continue to be sent over the 600's microphone.

Now that I've upgraded to a 650, there seems to be a problem with this setup - callers can no longer hear any input from the 650's microphone, so that while I hear them perfectly through the car's speakers, they can't hear anything I say. Does anyone know a way around this? Has the 650 been set up to disable the mic when something is plugged into the headphone jack?

Thanks.

Darren
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Using pocket tunes and earphones to listen to music, I am able to answer a call, hear the caller through the earphones, and use the phones mic to talk to them without unplugging the earphones..
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    have your tried freedom? it auto-toggles my mic and speaker settings according to whether i'm making or taking calls or listening to music.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Does freedom work on the 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    Does freedom work on the 650?
    yep
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    From their Website:

"Freedom does not work the Bluetooth on the Treo650 but it DOES with the headset."

Huh?!
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    From their Website:

"Freedom does not work the Bluetooth on the Treo650 but it DOES with the headset."

Huh?!
    it won't work with wireless bluetooth headsets, but it will work with the wired headsets, such as the one included with your retail-purchased 650.

and it should work with wired stereo earphones as well, as i have no trouble destroying my eardrums on the train to work every morning.
  8.    #8  
    It turns out that I am able to use the earbud supplied with the 650 to make calls - the mic is not disabled when that's plugged in. But it still won't work in my car with my Sony cassette audio adapter - even after I installed Freedom and tried every possible setting. Must be some subtle hardware change in the jack and mic setup between the 600 & the 650. I guess I'll search around for another cassette adapter that doesn't disable the mic.

But Freedom itself has caused a different problem. I used to always keep the sound switch on top of the unit set to "off." Despite that, when I'd plug things into the headphone jack I could still get audio output for phone calls, for PTunes, for books on tape, etc. But since installing Freedom, I can only get audio output for non-phone call stuff if the sound switch on top of the unit is set to "on" - whether I'm listening on my car's speakers or using the supplied earphone bud. I've tried every possible setting of Freedom, and tried deleting it and doing a soft reset, all to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas?

-Darren
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenorb
    It turns out that I am able to use the earbud supplied with the 650 to make calls - the mic is not disabled when that's plugged in. But it still won't work in my car with my Sony cassette audio adapter - even after I installed Freedom and tried every possible setting. Must be some subtle hardware change in the jack and mic setup between the 600 & the 650. I guess I'll search around for another cassette adapter that doesn't disable the mic.

But Freedom itself has caused a different problem. I used to always keep the sound switch on top of the unit set to "off." Despite that, when I'd plug things into the headphone jack I could still get audio output for phone calls, for PTunes, for books on tape, etc. But since installing Freedom, I can only get audio output for non-phone call stuff if the sound switch on top of the unit is set to "on" - whether I'm listening on my car's speakers or using the supplied earphone bud. I've tried every possible setting of Freedom, and tried deleting it and doing a soft reset, all to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas?

-Darren
    did you enable "freedom" mode? it should auto-toggle when it detects that you've connected/disconnected a headset or earpiece, even when inbound or outbound calls are made.

even better, with my ipaq stereo earphones, i don't have to detach them in times of a phonecall. the speaker still somehow functions when i have them connected and in-ear, though this may be my actual earphones that's responsible this, and not freedom at all. either way, i'd rather not investigate it as why would i want to risk spoiling a good thing?
    I have the same thing with the Radio Shack cassette adapter. I thought it would be an easy alternative to use the Palm 3.5-2.5mm converter that I purchased in my Treo 600 days, but it won't work. The microphone is disabled but the sound comes out of my speakers (only right side speakers I think).
  11. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Same here. I use the palm branded adapter and a cassette adapter for my car's tape player. Outputs audio fine, but mic doesn't work in this configuration.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I posted the same problem a couple months ago and someone got around it buy using a splitter. THat is to say, they plugged in a splitter into the treo and then on one side they plugged in the cassette adapter, and on the other side the ear bud. He claimed that setup would work. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, as it seemed cumberson, so i just bought a BT headset instead.
  13.    #13  
    Does anyone know if the Parrot DriveBlue system will work to play music & audiobooks - in other words, can you use it not just for phone calls? Is the speaker good enough quality for music?
    Are you saying that the Bluetooth headset will work for phone calls even if the jack is plugged in to a stero adapter?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Same here. I use the palm branded adapter and a cassette adapter for my car's tape player. Outputs audio fine, but mic doesn't work in this configuration.
    it's an impedance issue. Take apart the cassette adapter iand solder in a 500 ohm resister between right audio and ground. Do the same for the left audio.

The impedance is to high in the adapter to trigger the internal mic, but high enough for the audio to work.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Try using the stereo headphone adapter for the 650. I think the connector is different on a standard jack compared to the 650, so this adapter should bring it back within standard. http://mytreo.net/store/product.php?xProd=94
    adapter is not the issue. a quick fix is to get the seidio impedance adapter.

a better fix would be to add the resistors as I mentioned before and change the connentor to a 2.5 mm one... maybe even go with a right angle plug
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez View Post
    it's an impedance issue. Take apart the cassette adapter iand solder in a 500 ohm resister between right audio and ground. Do the same for the left audio.
    YES!!!! THANKS!!!! I have to say that is a *lot* easier said than done:

* low end soldering iron from Fry's: $8.00

* package of 1/4 watt, 510 ohm resistors from Fry's: $0.95

* cheap cassette adapter from Fry's: $10.00

* heaps of newbie luck regarding picking the right direction to place the resistors, not trying to solder while wires still in plastic case, guessing what "ground" was, trimming just right to avoid short when re-assembling case, guessing how to put case back together : [hard to quantify, impossible to repeat]

* trying 6 or 7 times and dropping and searching for tiny trimmed resistors, etc. repeatedly, growling at everyone around : [probably about 6 months off my life]

* emergency room visit for burns : (didn't go, but maybe should have - $75?)

* being able to use my treo 650 as a "car phone" like I did with my 600 : *priceless*

I was truly shocked when my daughter informed me she could hear me talking through the "car phone", but wow, there you go.