Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Looks like standalone.com has completely revamped their Hand/RSS reader and release it as Quick News. I had the old Hand/RSS but I never really liked it, and it quickly fell into disuse. I downloaded Quick News last night and played with it just briefly. It looks like they've added a bunch of new features and made some really good improvements in usability. I wasn't sure if this was an upgrade for Hand/RSS, as opposed to a new separate product, and in fact the old version of Hand/RSS is still listed as available. But anyway, I downloaded Quick News, typed in my Hand/RSS registration number and it happily accepted it.

Here's the list of new features from the the website:

* Support for embedded images
    * Flexible UI
    * Attachment support
    * Large feed (> 64k) support
    * Podcast support
    * Auto-updates
    * Customizable shortcuts
    * Proxy support
    * Advanced search capabilities
    * Ability to find new feeds by keyword
    * Improved OPML import support
    Thanks for the heads up. I've been getting frustrated with the <64K limitations the HandRSS had. I just installed Quick News trial and the OPML import from HandRSS to Quick News went smoothly. So far it's running great. It allows parsing of feeds greater than 64k, so I can once again check Engadget and HackADay sites on RSS. The interface is definitely an improvement over HandRSS. Looks like they're on the right track, and well worth the $14.95 (so far, anyway) .
    "Once a new technology rolls over you, if you're not part of the steamroller, you're part of the road." - Stewart Brand
    Do you know how the auto-update Quick News at HotSync works? The download package I found did not have a conduit?
    Treo 600 GSM
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klam
    Do you know how the auto-update Quick News at HotSync works? The download package I found did not have a conduit?
    Mine seems to be retrieving in the morning. I have set to update every two (2) hours but, it still seems to update in the morning around 6 am.. I have no idea why.
    I downloaded Quick News, typed in my Hand/RSS registration number and it happily accepted it

Duh! I never even thought to try entering my old Hand/RSS reg number. Thanks for that!!

Whhheeeeeeeeeeeee!
    NRG,

To adjust the time for updates, go to Options -> Preferences -> Auto Updates.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Looks like a nice app, and reasonably priced for what it does.

However, the auto-disconnect does not appear to work for me, and as I'm using my Treo (Verizon) without a data plan, that is unacceptable.

Hopefully the developer will have a solution.
    Anyone have any experience with the auto-disconnect? Standalone hasn't responded to my inquiry.
    What's the advantage of Quicknews over Motionapps Mnews Reader?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    How about support for SSL/Authentication?
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    What's the advantage of Quicknews over Motionapps Mnews Reader?

Image handling, podcasting (MP3), better interface, easier to use, more features overall, better support for html, to name a few...

You really should give it a go if you have only used Mnews Reader. It blows the doors off mNews...
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    How do you enable images? I tried the palmaddicts RSS feed and it has images in there that mNews displays, but I can't get them to show in Quick News.

Thanks
    I did receive a response from Standalone, and 1.05 fixes the auto-disconnect issue when updating all feeds, but you must disconnect manually when updating single feeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    I did receive a response from Standalone, and 1.05 fixes the auto-disconnect issue when updating all feeds, but you must disconnect manually when updating single feeds.
    Is 1.05 available to the public? I don't see it on their site as of this posting, still at 1.04....

Love this software, best software release this year so far...
    Ben from standalone sent it to me via email. I'd assume it will be posted shortly. If not, you may try emailing him directly (firstname at standalone dot com).
    Does this app run from the SD card? Can the feed info be saved on the card?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Does this app run from the SD card? Can the feed info be saved on the card?
    Yes and no respectively. It runs from the card on my 650 and seems to update fine working as advertised. I do not see any feature within the proggie itself to move the feeds to the card, but I am going to experiment with the bundling feature of ZL to see if it can be done, however it seems as if it would be a long time to copy over all those individual feeds each time you ran the program.

Great stuff...
    I tried it and didnt like it. It seemed that every news article I wanted to read I had to follow a link to a regular webpage that launched blazer and loaded 200-300K of stuff. Did I miss something?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    I tried it and didnt like it. It seemed that every news article I wanted to read I had to follow a link to a regular webpage that launched blazer and loaded 200-300K of stuff. Did I miss something?
    No, that is the problem with some of the good feeds. The meat of the story is not included, thus negating the quick access that the RSS feed inherently provides. Some of the feeds are better then others, those are my faves.

I agree it has a limited appeal. I think I like it more as I used the older version as well as some other RSS readers that were worse, so it seems like such a step up that I am pleased with it.

I don't think you are missing anything, RSS feeds are probably just not your cup of tea...
    It would be nice if it could load the entire article (text only) so you could read it, and maybe give you the option of dowloading pics if you want. But having to go to a website (a full blown website, not one designed for mobile users) is slow and painful. I have a good list of news sites (msnbc, yahoo, etc.) that are PDA friendly which do the trick, but the RSS concept is very intriguing. Perhaps when we get broadband speeds right down to the Treo....
    Cingular Treo 650
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast