Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by izzideluxe
    Question - Anybody know which QN file contains your subscribed feeds? I'd like to save it with FileZ so I don't have to re-enter my feeds after a crash.

Thanks
    I quit using the app, but when I did, the easiest way to manage feeds that I found was using a computer-based RSS Aggregator (PC or Mac), and exporting the OPML file. Move it to the SD card, leave it there, and you can re-import the site list as needed.
    V1.04 has been stable for me. I tried 1.05 and it was a disaster. Feeds would not load, they would not update, and my 650 would reset when auto-updating.
    That's odd, those are exactly the same problems 1.04 produced for me and 1.06 got rid of.

I'll keep watching here in the hope standalone can get it stable.

I also 2nd the request for DS Card support. These feeds take lots of precious space.
    Since I applied the Sprint 1.08 patch, the QN feeds don't take that much space. What I would like to see is the ability to automatically download all imges in a specific feed and have them go into a specified directory in the SD card.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    New Version 1.07b has worked perfect for me with absolutely no crashes, 5 way button support, email, and shortcuts.
    Where do you get 1.07b?
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    Where do you get 1.07b?

Send an email to ben@standalone.com
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosemore
    New Version 1.07b has worked perfect for me with absolutely no crashes, 5 way button support, email, and shortcuts.
    I tried out ver 1.07 last night. It's a lot more stable. I was able to move around the application and play with preferences without any trouble. I finally got the Auto-update to work without a reset!

A did find a couple of bugs. Reset All Feeds will only clear out about 90% of the feeds. Those that remain just won't clear. However, if I used the delete old articles function I can delete all the articles.

I also ran into some type of file corruption during one of the updates. When I tried to change feeds the Treo would reset. I deleted all articles in all feeds and ran Update All Feeds and that cleared the problem.

I also found that in 1.07 that the menus available from within a feed have both

Article > Mark as Read and
    Feed > Mark All Read

using the same shortcut of :menu:M

:menu:M now toggles the article read/unread where in earlier versions :menu:M would mark all read

All and all I think Quick News is on its way to being a great application.
    Last edited by wmillea; 04/02/2005 at 09:26 AM.
    wmillea: good to hear. I emailed Ben but he hasn't replied yet, still using 1.06.
    I agree that it's becoming a great program, I have switched to it completely from Hand/RSS bugs notwithstanding.

I think it needs a few more options and features, but I'll wait until StandAlone stabilizes it completely before even suggesting any extra stuff.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    We are now on ver 1.08a.

The /M shortcut issue has been corrected. I have run into a few reoccurring issues. If I try to use the Reset All Feeds option I get a reset. while running "Quick News" Fatal Exception"

Every so often, following an update, the Treo will reset moving from one feed to another. The only way to resolve the issue is to delete all articles in all feeds from the menu options and re-update all feeds. The next time this happens I will send copies of the Quick News files to Ben at Standalone.

This morning it would appear that the auto-update never happened. No indication of a reset. Quick News was not running when I picked up the Treo this morning.

I havenít registered the program yet. At this point it still feels more like a beta release. Once the bugs are hammered out, I may be more inclined to buying a registered copy.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmillea
    I havenít registered the program yet. At this point it still feels more like a beta release. Once the bugs are hammered out, I may be more inclined to buying a registered copy.
    That's why I quit using the trial version and didn't even consider registering. While the app certainly has promise, it is essentially in beta form, and is far from being ready for everyday use (as of version 1.05 anyways, the last that I tried).

Granted, Ben is responsive to issues and was quick to attempt to fix them, I was spending more time going back and forth with him than actually using the app that I decided to give up on it. I don't mind beta testing an app, but I need to know what I'm in for before using it. I just don't have the time at the moment to work out all of the kinks of an application, and not even knowing if it will be stable enough for me to purchase once the trial period is up.
    I purchased this yesterday. While it needs some work, it's the best out there.

Version 1.08 was released yesterday.
    <a href="http://www.beergeek.com">Beergeek</a> - History: Newton>Pilot Pro>Visor (blue)>Pencil>Toshiba e740>Treo 300>Treo 600>Treo 650>Cingular 8125> <b>Treo 650</b>
    I've been having problems trying to reconnect verichat after I update my feeds. Anybody having this issue? Any recomendations. Also I have checked SD card storage but everything seems to be the same.

Thanks,

Al
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I have been having issues with VeriChat and QuickNews since 1.05 and Ben and pdaapps are not sure what is going on. Ben has been very helpful in trying to track down the problem, but no luck yet. My problem is that I run out of sockets somehow after updating QN a few times (and VC tries to reconnect after each update). No real information on this that I know of, but you are the only other person I have heard having this issue.

Keith
    Has anyone else noticed that QN versions beyond 1.04 are EXTREMELY SLOW? With 1.04, I was able to update all the default feeds in 2-3 minutes, whereas now with 1.08, it took 21 minutes!!!

Ben said they're working on the speed.

Also, can any users of mNews 3.0 comment on the speed differences? In my limited trial, I found that mNews was MUCH faster, even faster than 1.04.

I'm sure QN will be better soon, since the rate of updates is very fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by peridoc
    I have been having issues with VeriChat and QuickNews since 1.05 and Ben and pdaapps are not sure what is going on. Ben has been very helpful in trying to track down the problem, but no luck yet. My problem is that I run out of sockets somehow after updating QN a few times (and VC tries to reconnect after each update). No real information on this that I know of, but you are the only other person I have heard having this issue.

Keith
    I also have the problem with Chatter trying to reconnect after using 1.08.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    The speed of mNews and QN is pretty close. mNews might be a little faster, but you can not search Syndic8 in it, it does not properly read the dates and times off articles (it appears to use download time instead...so you can not tell when articles were posted - plus they get jumbled around together), and it does not have a clear read/unread option of marking articles like QN. I own both and QN has the better feature set by far. If only I could figure out a solution to the verichat issue...

Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by peridoc
    The speed of mNews and QN is pretty close. mNews might be a little faster, but you can not search Syndic8 in it, it does not properly read the dates and times off articles (it appears to use download time instead...so you can not tell when articles were posted - plus they get jumbled around together), and it does not have a clear read/unread option of marking articles like QN. I own both and QN has the better feature set by far. If only I could figure out a solution to the verichat issue...

Keith

I found that mNews updated 20 feeds in 2 minutes, whereas QN needed over 5. Has anyone else seen this?
    Yeah, QN is also fairly slow for me, but Ben seems to be working contantly. For the time being, since it is fairly slow, I have settled on having it auto-update at 6:00AM, so I don't care how long it takes.
    But I think QN is definitely the only local RSS reader out worth the RAM it needs in my opinion.

Once Ben works out the connection issues and stabilizes the program I would like to see the ability to automatically download images for designated feeds, automatically save them to the SD card and possibly display them in-line with the article. That and some other minor features such as being able to set archiving preferences per feed.
    I'm using 1.09b (mostly becuase i've been a pain in the **** to Ben), and I still have reset issues:

1)random resets when using the pop-up list of feeds (i.e. not always)
    2)resets after importing feeds when doing an 'update all'

Overall, i love the new features - didyou notice that if you start typing the name of a feed it will pop up a name of a feed - you can then either hit the center rocker buttom or use up/down to select another feed. Very cool!

BTW, i'm on a GSM Treo 600 - anyone else having the reset issues?

Someone mentioned deleting some files using FIleZ to fix resets - what files were those?
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iwbyte
    1)random resets when using the pop-up list of feeds (i.e. not always)

I've found that if the first time I change feeds after starting the software or completing an update, if I go to {Feeds...} on the pop up menu and then select the feed I want from the Available Feed Menu the pop-up menu seem to work for any changes after that, for a little while anyway.

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by iwbyte
    I'm using 1.09b (mostly becuase i've been a pain in the **** to Ben), and I still have reset issues:BTW, i'm on a GSM Treo 600 - anyone else having the reset issues?
    I am on Sprint, but I also went back on forth with Ben about resets and eventually I did something that fixed QN resetting or crashing: Go to Applications (not Zlauncher or LauncherX, but the default Applications app) and delete QN from there. Then reset the phone, and sync. THEN install the newest version of QN. You will have to manually re-add your feeds, but to me it was worth it as QN hasn't produced a reset since. There are a couple of other issues but they're not show-stoppers.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast