Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    While I certainly agree that more is better, the problem lies with the RSS feeds, not the reader. Quick News is only pushing what it is able to retrieve from the feed.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    So no one knows anything about the embeded images?
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    While I certainly agree that more is better, the problem lies with the RSS feeds, not the reader. Quick News is only pushing what it is able to retrieve from the feed.
    So basically I will have the same issue no matter what reader I use. Is there any other method of getting news to a mobile PDA outside of this and of using special PDA-friendly and WAP websites?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Again, it depends on the feeds. If you're checking ESPN, it's going to show the same amount of information/text on Quick News as it will on any other RSS reader (Palm, desktop, or otherwise) because that's just what that particular site decides is fit to be sent.

Many sites aren't using RSS feeds as they are intended (consolidating stories for easy reading in one place), but rather using them as teases to get viewers to come to their site, and get the advertising hits.

The only other option that I'm aware of is AvantGo. It used to be a good service a few years ago, but it's become so bloated and restricted of sites that it's unusable in my opinion.

So for online reading, WAP sites are my choice, and for offline, a RSS reader, while not a replacement for web browsing, is good for having general information at your fingertips.
    I'm an avid user of Hand/RSS. I am not sure why so many people seem to not like it. I understand it's a little limited with its 64K limit and lack of file support, but I can read RSS feeds faster with it than with my desktop reader, and once you understand the basic limitations, everything else works as it should. I especially love the way it supports the 5-way.
    In any case, I was extremely excited when I downloaded QuickNews, I had no idea they were working on this. First impressions were good, except for the relative sluggishness (H/RSS is super snappy, whereas QN exhibits that slight sluggish behavior that many apps on the 650 exhibit, such as the built-in Calendar app). Love the font size support, the new expanded article view, file support, some of the new config options, 64k+ support, etc.
    On further use, however, I experienced too many problems and "WTF?" moments, so I eventually went back to my trusty H/RSS. i would love to be abel to switch to QN though. Here's some of the problems I found:

1- Feeds will update whenever they feel like it on my setup. Some of them would never update again even though there definitely were changes, such as Fark (I checked against my desktop Aggregator), or would only update the next day. H/RSS downloads any changes inmediately when asked to do so.
    2- Some feeds would never actually produce any articles in QN no matter what the settings were, when they worked just fine on H/RSS (tons of examples here, anything from 3dgamers to boingboing to arstechnica)
    3- They took away the numeric feedback when downloading (this is useful to know how fast the feed update is going)
    4- No option to have pictures automatically downloaded. I expected to be able to set, say, engadget's feed to automatically download pictures - no way to do this as far as I could tell. Additionally, the lack of inline display of images left me scratching my head as well.

Anybody else experiencing similar issues? What I do most with H/RSS is update it manually when I want to read new info, so once-a-day scheduled updates are no good to me. And I don't undestand why so many feeds fail to produce articles.
    Also I really hope they expand the image support so the images will be automatically saved to SD in their own folder.

I have to say though, I was very pleasantly surprised by StandAlone's gracious gesture in letting us previous owners of H/RSS have free registration of QuickNews. Very, VERY much appreciated.
    Last edited by NSiNSiNSi; 02/24/2005 at 07:44 PM.
    I'm actually pretty amazed at the lackluster supoprt for RSS on the Treo. That there's really only 2-3 products is pretty sad, considering the market for RSS news has been increasing steadily for a while now.

That said, and having tried mNews and Hand/RSS, I opted to go with the mobile version of Bloglines using Reqwireless Webviewer and my unlimited connection through Verizon. There's a pause between articles, but usually not anything noticeable enough for me to kvetch.

I guess I'll give QuickNews a go and see if it improves on Bloglines Mobile.
    everything was beautiful and nobody hurt.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I tried Quick News 1.04 on my Treo 600 CDMA. It is causing me a lot resets and a few reset loops that required a hard reset. Has anyone else had this problem?
    wmillea: soft resets, yes, but that is a daily random occurence with my Treo 650, so I don't think it's QN necessarilly. I haven't had any reset loops though.
    Quote Originally Posted by larry91403
    How about support for SSL/Authentication?

??????
    Quote Originally Posted by larry91403
    ??????
    double ??????
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    wmillea: soft resets, yes, but that is a daily random occurence with my Treo 650, so I don't think it's QN necessarilly. I haven't had any reset loops though.
    My Treo is generally very stable. I get very few resets. You know, only when you need a piece of information really quick.

The resets all occurred during a screen update, group update or an auto update. In all occurrences QN was running. I was going to hit ##377 after the next reset but I stuck in a reset loop and had to do a hard reset. I did not reinstall QN after that. I decided to give mnews a shot.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wmillea
    My Treo is generally very stable. I get very few resets. You know, only when you need a piece of information really quick.
    Ain't that the truth.
    Ok, after a few days of trying to use Quick News, I'm abandoning it. My syncs take forever, due to my 70+ RSS feeds, and when I actually try to open the app, it then "imports" the data which takes an additional bit of time. Plus, it takes up a ton of storage (note: I didn't bother checking for VFS operation since I was already unhappy with the app - perhaps you can run it off of a card and save memory that way).

I'm back to bloglines mobile.
    everything was beautiful and nobody hurt.
    It turns out that if you update QN with HotSync (rather than over the air) it does not "import" your News until you open the app. There are residual files that take up space in RAM until you do this. I've been both pleased and displeased with the update from the old program. I liked the old 2-pane view, article names on top, article text below. Now, in QN you can't scroll in the bottom pane in that mode (Toggle Display Style).
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Yep, I went back to H/RSS as well. All I really wanted was support for 64K and feed image support.
    I really like QuickNews better than Hand/RSS on my trusty Treo 600. More intuitive and easy to use. I can quickly read a pile of feeds and feed set up is easy too.

Only problem: sometime causes reset when adding new feeds.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    After having problems with QN 1.04 I contacted tech support at Standalone. They sent me a copy of ver 1.05f. This update seem to be running fine so far, no resets.
    I tried this app for a couple of days. Initial reaction was "amazement." It seemed great. But it also appears to be a reset monster and bottomless memory hog...

Once it started resetting when importing feed updates, I updated my config by deleting it.

General observation: IF we have to keep 10 megs of memory free to use applications, then we really don't have very much to work with...
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I just started exploring Quick News over the last few days and was hoping someone could help figuring something out. When I go to one of my feeds and mark all read, then delete them, I then try updating that feed and it puts back all the articles I just deleted! Am I missing something? I even have it set to auto-delete old messages on update, but I don't think that's the problem. I think Quick News may just download all the entries currently in a feed regardless of whether you've deleted them previously. In other words it doesn't keep track of what you have and haven't read. If it did, I think updating would be a lot faster because it wouldn't have to download everything if you manage your feeds appropriately... Does this make sense or have I missed something?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    I just started exploring Quick News over the last few days and was hoping someone could help figuring something out. When I go to one of my feeds and mark all read, then delete them, I then try updating that feed and it puts back all the articles I just deleted! Am I missing something? I even have it set to auto-delete old messages on update, but I don't think that's the problem. I think Quick News may just download all the entries currently in a feed regardless of whether you've deleted them previously. In other words it doesn't keep track of what you have and haven't read. If it did, I think updating would be a lot faster because it wouldn't have to download everything if you manage your feeds appropriately... Does this make sense or have I missed something?

Use the Auto-delete option and the article will clear itself when it is removed from the feed. Be aware however, articles that you have flagged will also be deleted using this method.

If you delete an article before it is removed on the server side you will get it back as an unread article the next time you update the feed.

I downloaded ver 1.05 off standalone’s site last night. It is a lot more stable, but I still get a reset after an auto-update.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast