1.    #1  
    Hey everybody. I've been reading this site and a dozen others for the past three days with no success. I'm hoping by posting that somebody else out there is having the same problem, and hopefully a solution.

I received my new Treo 650 GSM Unlocked phone on Monday. The main selling point on this phone is the bluetooth. Bear in mind that this is the fully unlocked, functional phone. Bluetooth Dial-Up Networking (DUN) is enabled out of the box (supposedly), so the patch previously required on branded phones is not applicable.

I went about pairing it with my Powermac, and my Powerbook. While it "paired" with both computers, I ran into a very disturbing problem. At the point in the bluetooth pairing processing, a screen is displayed on the Mac where you can select services you wish to use with the new device (e.g., Set up to use iSync, Use with Address Book, and Access the Internet). All of these services are greyed out, and are therefore not selectable.

Using Missing Sync software and the Apple Palm Conduit, I am able to successfully sync using Bluetooth and USB. That's it. The Mac lists only OBEX Object Push as an available bluetooth service for the Treo 650. (Compare this to my Nokia 6600 which has SDP Server, Bluetooth Serial Port, OBEX File Transfer, OBEX Object Push, Handsfree Audio Gateway, Fax, and Dial-up Networking listed).

So, the net result of this is that I can only sync my phone, using Missing Sync. I can't connect via bluetooth for Dial-up Networking (AARRGH), nor can I use it with Address Book.

I have deleted the Bluetooth prefs files and re-paired. I have tried re-pairing the phone and Mac repeatedly. I have tried the Sprint 650 DUN patch discussed at length here on TreoCentral. Absolutely no success in either enabling additional services, or being able to use the Bluetooth DUN. I have used the Bluetooth Serial Utility to try to define new serial ports. While I have not yet been successful with this path, I have at least seen the 650 respond. I'm going to continue tinkering with this to see if this leads anywhere.

So, at last, are my questions: Has any one, using the 650 GSM Unlocked phone, hopefully with a Mac, been able to pair it so that any of the optional services become available, specifically BT DUN, and Use with Address Book?

Thanks,
    Kasbo

(Crossposted to Treo & Mac SIG)
    kmess, I am in the same boat as you. Up until 2 am last night trying to figure out why the options were greyed out.
    I was able to get my Powerbook to recognize the DUN feature. First, turn the DUN feature on in the 650. Then re-setup your phone by clicking on set up devices on your powerbook. Although it seems to enable/allow DUN, it still greys-out the address book feature, etc. Strange indeed. I now need to figure out the correct string to use with both Cingular and T-mobile. Hope this helps.
    Yes as the previous post said the only service you will see is as a network connection. But the Treo must be on with DUN enabled first for this to show up. You will be able to sync the addressbook via hotsync and the iSync conduit but it won't show up on this dialog.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Yes as the previous post said the only service you will see is as a network connection. But the Treo must be on with DUN enabled first for this to show up. You will be able to sync the addressbook via hotsync and the iSync conduit but it won't show up on this dialog.
    Thank you for confirming. Cheers
    I posted something about this a few days back. There seems to be an oddity in the latest firmware (first seen on the unlocked GSM model) and the BT stack.

I posted a recipe in the previous thread. Essentially what I've done is turn on DUN, pair the phone with the DUN profile and create a network config associated with the phone. Test it out to make sure it works. Then remove the pairing, turn off DUN on the phone, and re-pair with the phone. This should show the OBEX Object Push service associated with the phone. With this, you'll be able to push files to the Treo, and the DUN setup you created previously will still work. Note that you might need to attempt the pairing a few times to get the right profile to appear.

Hopefully a patch to the firmware will resolve this in the future. In the meantime, all of the BT uses for the phone that I need seem to work fine (sync, file xfers, DUN), except for Salling Clicker, which does not work on this flavor of the 650 for now.

EDIT: Here's the other thread I started on this:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=73010
    Last edited by jimf; 02/16/2005 at 12:42 PM.
    Bcaslis;

Sorry to sound obtuse, but I've been trying to BT synch my unlo0cked GSM 650 to my Mac for a couple of days now...

Are you saying that when you set up DUN between the 650 and the Mac, then you'll be able to sync using iSync conduit (so that Address Book and iCal are synced)? I can get the Mac to see the 650 and set up DUN, but when I try to pair them for syncing, the options are greyed-out.

Thanks,
    -mbd26