Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey everybody. I've been reading this site and a dozen others for the past three days with no success. I'm hoping by posting that somebody else out there is having the same problem, and hopefully a solution.

I received my new Treo 650 GSM Unlocked phone on Monday. The main selling point on this phone is the bluetooth. Bear in mind that this is the fully unlocked, functional phone. Bluetooth Dial-Up Networking (DUN) is enabled out of the box (supposedly), so the patch previously required on branded phones is not applicable.

I went about pairing it with my Powermac, and my Powerbook. While it "paired" with both computers, I ran into a very disturbing problem. At the point in the bluetooth pairing processing, a screen is displayed on the Mac where you can select services you wish to use with the new device (e.g., Set up to use iSync, Use with Address Book, and Access the Internet). All of these services are greyed out, and are therefore not selectable.

Using Missing Sync software and the Apple Palm Conduit, I am able to successfully sync using Bluetooth and USB. That's it. The Mac lists only OBEX Object Push as an available bluetooth service for the Treo 650. (Compare this to my Nokia 6600 which has SDP Server, Bluetooth Serial Port, OBEX File Transfer, OBEX Object Push, Handsfree Audio Gateway, Fax, and Dial-up Networking listed).

So, the net result of this is that I can only sync my phone, using Missing Sync. I can't connect via bluetooth for Dial-up Networking (AARRGH), nor can I use it with Address Book.

I have deleted the Bluetooth prefs files and re-paired. I have tried re-pairing the phone and Mac repeatedly. I have tried the Sprint 650 DUN patch discussed at length here on TreoCentral. Absolutely no success in either enabling additioinal services, or being able to use the Bluetooth DUN. I have used the Bluetooth Serial Utility to try to define new serial ports. While I have not yet been successful with this path, I have at least seen the 650 respond. I'm going to continue tinkering with this to see if this leads anywhere.

So, at last, are my questions: Has any one, using the 650 GSM Unlocked phone, hopefully with a Mac, been able to pair it so that any of the optional services become available, specifically BT DUN, and Use with Address Book?

Thanks,
    Kevin
    I'm having the exact same problem. I really hope someone can offer a solution because it sucks to pay $500+ for a device that doesn't work as well as the device I replaced (Sony Ericsson T610)
    I have not used BT in the past - could you elaborate on how the SE T610 worked with your Mac? I'd like to understand what's possible with BT (albeit maybe not possible with our T650s...)
    This is a duplicate thread. I responded in the other one, with details related to the BT functions.
    What's the link to the other thread?
    Search the forums under Treo 650 for BT and Mac. Lots of discussion and hints. I know personally that you need to have the T650 BT on and Discoverable ON and Dial Up ON before you begin the Mac pairing process. If not, delete the pair from the Mac and Treo and start from scratch. Once I did that, I was a ble to pair and have the DUN functionality.
  7.    #7  
    Okay, I have no idea what I did to get the darn thing paired properly, but I now have bluetooth dial-up networking available (and selected) as an option. I agree with the assertion that you have to have DUN enabled on the Treo before beginning the pairing process.

My best guess as to how I got it to work went something like this:

First, make sure you have Bluetooth 1.5 installed. Then However, if I had to guess... Delete any existing pairing between the devices. Delete bluetooth prefs. Reboot the computer, reset the palm. Turn on Bluetooth on the palm, but NOT DUN (yet). Turn on bluetooth on the Mac. Create a pairing, and accept the fact that everything is grayed out.

Now, reboot the computer, reset, the palm. Turn on bluetooth on the palm, and turn on DUN. Re-pair the devices. Re-pair the devices. Re-pair the devices. etc etc etc until VOILA, it decides that you have bluetooth DUN.

The last hurdle I had was getting a script that worked. I use T-Mobile, and am attaching the script I generated using GPRS Script Generator. It works great.

I also want to thank Trevor Harmon (http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-dun/) for his input. He made me realize that I had to enable DUN before the pairing process.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kmess; 02/16/2005 at 03:35 PM.
    OK. I don't care about DUN, but I do care about the Address Book integration, Salling Clicker, etc. Is there a solution to getting those to work on the Treo 650, or are we just SOL on these issues? And is it a problem on my Mac (Rev D. 15-in, with BT 2.0) or with the BT on the Treo? My SE T610 worked PERFECTLY, and I just can't believe the Treo works so poorly.
  9.    #9  
    According to the PalmOne Knowledge-base:

Bluetooth wireless features and profiles on Treo 650

And, based on my understanding of this stuff, I think we may be SOL...

K
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    I'm only guessing here, but I don't know if Bluetooth can be upgraded via software/flash ROM updates. They don't specifically say. That would be cool to get some 1.2 features with a quick update.

I don't wonder though if it's the newer PowerBook (though obviously mostly compatible) inclusion of Bluetooth 2.0 vs. Treo's 1.1?

I imagined you used the simple setup utility (I can't remember where) to setup Bluetooth HotSyncing?
  11.    #11  
    I would think the whole thing could be upgraded, since I essentially upgraded my powerbook doing the same thing. PalmOne, at this point, is indicating that they have no plans to upgrade to at least BT 1.2. As far as setting it up, I just used "Set up a Bluetooth Device", and ran through the steps. Repeatedly. Oh, did I mention, repeatedly? hehe

The first time I ran through, I had OBEX Push, which would allow me to send vCards from the computer. Now I have DUN, but I've lost OBEX Push. Screwiest thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    I imagined you used the simple setup utility (I can't remember where) to setup Bluetooth HotSyncing?
    To set up bluetooth HotSync you open the HotSync app and click the 'connections setting' button and select 'bluetooth port'

thats it.

Now does anyone know why the address books bluetooth call feature does not work? If you apply the DUN patch does it work? It cant be a function of BT 1.2 since it works on SonyEricsson phones using 1.1
    I think once you enable the DUN in the Bluetooth app on the Treo, you'll see another service option enabled (I thik it's GPRS) on your Mac when you're pairing it. It worked for me, but the Address book has been grayed out for me too. I guess we can't dial out thro the treo, but who cares? The Treo 650 works fine as a modem on the Powerbook (1.67GHz, os 10.3.8).
    Just adding to the river of tears here. PalmOne Tre 650 Mac page talks about working with Salling Clicker. That was why I bought the 650 vs 600. Like everyone else I can't get it to bring the gray areas up.

I have been able to use HotSync after much experimentation. But that is not what I want. I guess I will have to bug PalmOne about this.

Anyone have any better ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by harttj
    Just adding to the river of tears here. PalmOne Tre 650 Mac page talks about working with Salling Clicker. That was why I bought the 650 vs 600. Like everyone else I can't get it to bring the gray areas up.

I have been able to use HotSync after much experimentation. But that is not what I want. I guess I will have to bug PalmOne about this.

Anyone have any better ideas?
    This problem with Salling Clicker only seems to be with the unlocked GSM model, which has a newer firmware version. Salling is interested in fixing it, but doesn't have a device to test on yet (they are in Sweden, and they haven't been released there yet, apparently).

Meanwhile, I'd definitely make some noise at palmOne about it.
    Well, I decided to send my Treo back. I think it's ridiculous to pay $600 for a device that doesn't work as well as my T610 that cost $199 a couple of years or so ago. I don't think having full-fledged Bluetooth implementation is asking too much for a top-of-class such as the Treo 650. So, bad show Palm. I should have stuck to my decision to forgo Palm devices years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbritt
    Well, I decided to send my Treo back. I think it's ridiculous to pay $600 for a device that doesn't work as well as my T610 that cost $199 a couple of years or so ago. I don't think having full-fledged Bluetooth implementation is asking too much for a top-of-class such as the Treo 650. So, bad show Palm. I should have stuck to my decision to forgo Palm devices years ago.
    The unlocked GSM model seems to have a perfectly good Bluetooth stack, in terms of functionality. Syncing, DUN, BT GPS, handsfree, file exchange, etc. all work fine. The issue with Clicker could have something to do with the Bluetooth stack, but it could also be some kind of firmware issue with the Clicker client (at least, that's Salling's theory until he gets ahold of a device to test on). The only pairing issue I've seen is some profiles that aren't reported in the Mac list of paired devices. But those profiles seem to be working fine, so it isn't really an issue.

I had a T610 before switching to the 650. First, the T610 is not in the same class as the Treo on several functionality fronts. Second, you can't compare $600 for the Treo (unsubsidized price of Treo at initial release date) to $199 for the T610. The T610 was roughly $400-500 unsubsidized when it was released. It was much cheaper subsidized (as the Treo is), and became much cheaper later on (as the Treo will).
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbritt
    i'm hardly a P1 advocate, but i kinda had a heads up on bluetooth connectivity just by reading here and elsewhere before I dove into the $ with the 650.

If you're expecting it to act just like your T610 with bluetooth and the mac, i understand the disappointment, but there's a whole lot this phone does besides acting as a Salling Clicker remote (or doesn't based on what you're saying.. I haven't tried it with Salling yet, but this worked fine on my T3..) If you have a PC, I'm assuming you can do even less..

I also was an early adopter of the T610 but it was later summer 2003, not a couple of years or so ago- not to take away from its flawless bluetooth operation or your story, but I think it's only a been a year and a half. At least in my market (DC) and mine was $300-$350, not $199. To its credit the T610 works great with most bluetooth headsets (my 650 is slow to respond to my Jabra Bt200) and because of the palm OS on the 650, you can't use the "browse device" function like you can with Sony Ericsson. However on the T610 this just let you change desktops, themes and midi ringtones. Mild customization. So i'll suppose I'll miss these things along with its size, but any loss I feel will disappear when I get the HBH 660 headset or whichever one it is that's supposed to work great, and I'm in no rush to do that. Bluetooth hotsync I haven't even fooled with anyway. My T3 never liked it lots and USB is faster.

I won't miss the joke of a camera that thing had, nor entering extensive notes and text messages through a numeric keypad. I won't miss not being able to have Mp3 ringtones, or limited storage space. I won't miss not being able to add apps to a closed OS. i won't miss juggling multiple devices (palm and phone). Lastly the T610's antenna sucks. No question. I won't miss lame/slow T-Zones when I have onboard web access and email apps. If all these things are no problem for you, maybe you didn't need a smartphone, and just a regular phone with some extras would work.

For me, there just aren't a whole lot of great ones out there that tie into iSync and are tons better than the T610. And I'm saying this ruling out other smartphones that run Microsoft's OS, because I'm not into that as a Mac user. if you want zero customization, I suppose you could try a Blackberry.

Motorola finally started making decent phones again, but the ones with the features you'd want are close to the price of the Treo, and they're not smartphones. And for me, those phones don't work with iSync.

Probably the SE K700i is a reasonable upgrade (better antenna, better camera, built in radio) but it's $349 GSM Unlocked for just an 'upgrade' from th T610. The S700 is even more money b/c of the megapixel camera.

I looked at all this and at the end of the day I chose the 650. There is some compromise with a few bt features, but DUN works just as good or better for me and that's the main one i personally need. On the other scales, the 650 wins. It's just if you want all the other features or not.
    What do you do with the script? And I cannot find information on what my DUN settings should be for T-mobile password etc... Any ideas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast