1.    #1  
    Here's how I got the TomTom software and P1 GPS for under $100:

Go to buy.com, order the Zire Nav Pack for $385 ($385)
    Apply a $15 off code ($370)
    Use the rebate form for the Zire 72 ($320)
    Sell the Zire 72 on ebay for $230 ($90)

Disclaimer: The P1 GPS has been far from good. I think I have a defective unit.

You get the TomTom software and a GPS (I think it is comparable to the Holux 230, but I have an awful suspicion that P1 left out the SIRF/IIe chip - can anyone comment?) for $90. Not bad.

Upgrade Policy
    I emailed TomTom about the upgrade policy. Basically, when you change your PDA, you have to fax them the sales receipt. YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO BUY A NEW LICENSE!!!

Other GPS Software
    Search for "GPS" at palmgear.com, and you will find a wide variety of software. Pathaway, Atlas, and the MapTech product with 60,000 maps are all on my evaluation list right now. Essentially, they let you use an ordinary, georeferenced image as a basemap. It doesn't provide driving directions, but it IS very useful when walking / boating / hiking / flying / taking mass transit. There are also other wonderful products in the GPS software list.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Another excellent post. Wow..a lot of excitement today, w/ the Sprint/Handango $100 free SW offer...and now this.

I need to ask a question... Is this combo compatible with BT headsets? I read of some folks' headsets not working while BT Nav (GPS) is in operation. Is this true, cuz this would suck indeed. I'm aware TomTom is releasing a version w/ better Treo 650 support, but I'm not sure if this is expected to alleviate the BT headset problem. I suspect not...
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jejagua
    Another excellent post. Wow..a lot of excitement today, w/ the Sprint/Handango $100 free SW offer...and now this.

I need to ask a question... Is this combo compatible with BT headsets? I read of some folks' headsets not working while BT Nav (GPS) is in operation. Is this true, cuz this would suck indeed. I'm aware TomTom is releasing a version w/ better Treo 650 support, but I'm not sure if this is expected to alleviate the BT headset problem. I suspect not...
    I can verify. I love my TomTom and can't live without it. However, I must reset the bluetooth (just turn it off and back on) before it will allow me to use the headset after communicating with the bluetooth GPS. Everything else works just fine.

When I wrote them about this, they said they're aware of the issue. They didn't promise a fix date, but implied they were working on it.
    I haven't had any problems re-connecting to my handsfree kit in my car (A Peiker model almost identical to the Chrysler Mopar UConnect) after using my BT GPS (the i.Trek BT GPS). HOWEVER, once the Treo connects to my handsfree kit I can no longer connect to the BT GPS. This means that, if I start my car, I only have a few seconds to start TomTom before I'm locked out. Once the Treo and HF are paired, my only options are to stop the car, or stop and start bluetooth (to force a disconnect) and then run TomTom within a few seconds.

I have no idea what API is provided for application writers, but I hope that TomTom could make either a call to the phone app to get it to release the bluetooth gracefully, or maybe a call to the Bluetooth stack to force it to drop the connection. The best scenario would be if the Treo supported multipoint Bluetooth, but that seems like too much to ask for.

For what it's worth, I wrote TomTom and suggested as much.

In case anyone is still on the fence about TomTom... stop thinking and GET IT! This software blows away most of the in-dash navigation systems I've seen (and believe me, I work in the automotive telematics industry). TomTom and Mapopolis aren't in the same ballpark, league, or even sport. It's really too bad that TomTom doesn't have a free demo like Mapopolis -- if they did (and people could readily see how much better their product is), they'd probably take over the world.

Chris