1.    #1  
    This is a pretty geeky idea, but I was wondering if anyone wanted to send in there HandShop databases for grocery stores and such to swap with others.

The new HandShop is pretty elaborate to the point where you can organize your list by "aisle" in the grocery stores...which is slick, but there's no way that I'll have the time to make a unique list for all of the different grocery store chains that I shop at.

Just a crazy idea...

Originally posted by homer:
    The new HandShop is pretty elaborate to the point where you can organize your list by "aisle" in the grocery stores...which is slick, but there's no way that I'll have the time to make a unique list for all of the different grocery store chains that I shop at.
    Homer,

Geeky it is indeed! Actually, I have about five stores I shop at and over the past couple of months have been slowly adding the aisle information - just a few items at a time. I'm now to the point where about half of what I have on my list is usually sortable by aisle and I can't believe how helpful it is...the only problem is that a big new store just opened up closer to where I live, so the process starts all over again!

BTW - Do you use the program to organize anything else? I've been putting my video collection on it and it works very well!

[This message has been edited by VoxDei (edited 05-05-2000).]
    ...if anyone wanted to send in there HandShop databases for grocery stores and such to swap with others...
    Sorry, but, no thank you. This would cause me to have to relinquish control of the Visor to my wife (she does the shopping) for those jaunts to the store, and I'm just not ready to give up my little toy just yet

She thinks it would be a great idea (shhh, don't tell anyone, but I do too) but I can't bring myself to doing it just yet.

Now, if Handspring picks my name in their weekly Visor giveaway, then I'd be happy to trade (might even do the shopping thing myself)

------------------
    MarkEagle - Ice is nice!
    ...if anyone wanted to send in there HandShop databases for grocery stores and such to swap with others...
    I have something in the "such" category... I made a HandyShopper database for tracking the state quarters - it's on PalmGear at: http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...00&prodID=6879
    (It's freeware.)

It WOULD be great if someone already had grocery databases created for some of the stores in Bellingham, WA....
    Originally posted by etiz:
    ...a HandyShopper database for tracking the state quarters...
    Nice job!. A very creative use of HandyShopper. My kid's can have their wall map quarter holder... I'll use this on my Visor!!!

------------------
    MarkEagle - Ice is nice!
    I went by my local Krogers and got a copy (on paper) of the store layout. I scaned it in and converted it into a file I could import into HS2. Worked pretty well.

I can't wait for the day when the store post their aisle layouts electonically. Or even better, they should have a palm at the customer service window, where they can beam you the store layout.
    Speaking of sharing Handyshopper lists, does anyone know how to beam the Handyshopper .pdb files? Is there a hack that can be used? My wife and I both have Visors and it would be great to be able to send the databases back and forth.

Of course, what's *really* needed is IR sync between two browsers, so if I pick up an item in the supermarket, it will update hers...
    Originally posted by jim.lawson:
    Speaking of sharing Handyshopper lists, does anyone know how to beam the Handyshopper .pdb files? Is there a hack that can be used? My wife and I both have Visors and it would be great to be able to send the databases back and forth.

Of course, what's *really* needed is IR sync between two browsers, so if I pick up an item in the supermarket, it will update hers...
    I don't know how to beam the .pdb file, but here is a quick work around--export your database to MemoPad, then beam the MemoPad file. She can import the list from her MemoPad into HandyShop.

After reading your thread, I decided to install Handy Snap. A great little program, no doubt, but I'm a little befuddled about the nuances of using it. Any suggestions where there may be additional info beyond the FAQ & Readme files?
  10.    #10  
    It's time to resurrect this thread!

I just spent the last hour trying to set up an Excel spreadsheet that could be used as a template for HandyShopper grocery store databases (you could then download it, add your own aisles, and import it into HandyShopper) but I ran into a problem in that I can not get my data to export out of Excel into the proper text format for handyshopper to read.

Handyshoppers format is:

- a:3 item description

where "-" is actually a bullet.

I set up four columns in excel as such:

1 2 3 4
    ----------------------------------------
    -a: | (space) | 5 | item description

The problem is that no matter the format I export it as, I end up with extra spaces between columns and the bullets don't come out.

Any thoughts on this?

I COULD just type the whole thing in as a text file, but I thought the Excel format would make it east to change aisles for various stores.
    Originally posted by jim.lawson:
    Sorry, don't have an answer for that, but I cheated using my 8mb Flash Module. I beamed the HS program over to a friend, but when I found I couldn't beam the actual database to her, I just copied it to my module, put the module in her Visor and copied to her unit. (I do this with ebooks that are already on the module also.)

12.    #12  
    For the record, the ability to beam lists is on the author's "to-do" list for the final release of version 2.
    QUOTE]Originally posted by MarkEagle:
    This would cause me to have to relinquish control of the Visor to my wife (she does the shopping) for those jaunts to the store, and I'm just not ready to give up my little toy just yet
    [/QUOTE]

2 Visor family in the works?

I've seen it but can't remember where -- read too much Visor info the past 2 wks. Where do you get the HandyShop to start with?
  15.    #15  
    HandyShopper can be found at PalmGear.com:
    http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...53&prodID=5314

I just spent the last hour trying to set up an Excel spreadsheet that could be used as a template for HandyShopper grocery store databases (you could then download it, add your own aisles, and import it into HandyShopper) but I ran into a problem in that I can not get my data to export out of Excel into the proper text format for handyshopper to read.
    [/B]
    Save it as a comma serparated file (CSV) from Excel, then open the file with a plain text file editor (like editpad) and replace all the commas "," with a space " ".

I think it's easiest to export a current store from HS2 into the memopad, hotsync, copy it to the clip board and paste it in a text file and import that file into Excel.

[This message has been edited by wilderf (edited 07-06-2000).]
  17.    #17  
    Wilderf:

Your idea makes perfect sense and would certainly work. I just had this grand idea that I could easily make a excel file, upload it, and then anyone that wanted to modify it for their local store could simple download it, change all of the aisles in excel, and then upload it as a new store template.

But it just seems like Excel and HandyShopper just aren't quite on the same wavelength.
    The problem is that no matter the format I export it as, I end up with extra spaces between columns and the bullets don't come out.

Any thoughts on this?
    How about this?: Build a single text string on another worksheet that essentially adds (concatenates) the 4 columns of data together into the proper format. Then, export that second sheet to a text file.

------------------
    MarkEagle - Ice is nice!
  19.    #19  
    MarkEagle:

Great idea!

uhh...how would you do that?