1.    #1  
    Folks,

If anyone's gotten BT DUN to work I'd really appreciate some help regarding the laptop side settings. I've got the phone paired and the laptop sees the BT modem.

I have tried entering the extra dialing string in the advanced settings for the modem on the laptop and am using *99***(number)# where I'm guessing the number cooresponds to the entry in the network list but I never seem to get past the verifying user name and password.

My understanding from using a SE P900 as a modem is that T-Mo doesn't require a user name and password.

If someone can reply or PM me with working settings it'd be appreciated.
    Better yet, post them here. I have not been able to DUN on TMobile. I would like to check it out before I take this prepaid phone and SIM back to see if it's worthwhile.

What extra dialing string?
  3.    #3  
    The extra dialing string is from P1's website: AT+CGDCONT=1,"ip","xxx" where xxx = the apn from the cell service provider.

I can get to the registering computer on the network stage with a cingular SIM in the unlocked Treo but cannot get past the verifying user name and password stage with the T-Mo card in the phone.

I have to hand it to the folks at T-Mobile - Not only did they do eveyrthing they could to help during a 2 hour call where I went from Tier I all the way to Tier IV support but were there to help when I called at midnight CST. Unfortunately the call dropped - I'd been routed from the US to the UK to somewhere in India (I think) then back to the US and the call just couldn't take it

My point for writing the above paragraph is that I've also attempted to get assistance from Cingular customer care in the wee hours of the morning and find that after 9pm CST there is really no technical support available. The two times I've had data issues with the Cingular service after their office has closed I've been told that there's absolutely nothing they can do for me until the office opens again in the morning.

On the other hand T-Mobile's technical support is open 24 hours a day and has almost always been able to answer my questions.

Customer service goes a long way in my book when I consider whom I do business with so, even though the data network on the T-Mo side is far slower I'm gonna stay with them rather than switch to Cingular.
    This is the email I got from TMobile.
    "We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. Currently we can
    understand the frustration however there is not an ability to connect via
    Bluetooth to the GPRS service."
    They are nice on the CS side but no EDGE, no DUN and no TREO 650, they are lucky their rate and data plans force me to use them.
    That's utter BS. I used to do it on my Nokia3650 all the time.

I guess I'll have to pop my SIM in that and see if I can get the settings from the Nokia.
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
    This guy claims to have it working. I've yet to verify.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...1&postcount=43
    http://idcommons.net
    my contact page
  7. gw1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Just got it working on TMobile with modem init string AT+CGDCONT=1,"ip","internet2.voicestream.com", dialing number *99***1#, no username or password. The only other tricky thing was that I had to shut down Hotsync (I had Hotsync set up to sync over bluetooth). It worked, but was kind of slow (dslreports showed 27kbps down/6 up) - faster than I remember modems being, but still slow. I have the $20 unlimited internet plan, not T-Zones.
    I have the Bluetooth DUN "Connect BluetoothConnection" screen up but need step by step for what to put in the username/password and the Dial inputs!
    Ok, I didnt put anything in the Username/Password and just put *99***1# in the Dial input....I clicked connect and it said "Registering your computer on the network" followed by a pause, followed by a.....

Error 734: The PPP link control protocol was terminated.

What is with all this modem init string stuff? What exactly needs to be SET UP on the Treo?
    Figured it out....for some reason, my initials needed to be in the Username...not sure why....but the PDF from PalmOne really helps with step by step....

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/ha...GSM_DUN_UG.pdf

This thread as well....

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=74550

Anyways, connected with Bluetooth DUN through T-Mobile....about 115Kbps!
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I can't connect to tmobile internet using DUN BT

I've followed the instructions here and using the P1 pdf instructions. The computer and the palm are talking to each other, when i try to dial, I get an "Error 678 the remote computer did not respond"......

What does it mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by gw1 View Post
    Just got it working on TMobile with modem init string AT+CGDCONT=1,"ip","internet2.voicestream.com", dialing number *99***1#, no username or password. The only other tricky thing was that I had to shut down Hotsync (I had Hotsync set up to sync over bluetooth). It worked, but was kind of slow (dslreports showed 27kbps down/6 up) - faster than I remember modems being, but still slow. I have the $20 unlimited internet plan, not T-Zones.
    FANTASTIC!

I rang T-Mobile (UK) and they were going to charge me for an extra bundle ON TOP OF MY DATA bundle because "when used for DUN, data usage goes up so we charge more"

Thanks for this info - worked great

Also worth noting that I set my user name (in the dialing prefs) to the same user name as my APN connection. I didn't enter a password.
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680