Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I receive the message "Gmail requires Active X controls to be enabled". I checked the Blazer menu and could not find anything.

Please help. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I could use that info, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Playcentric
    How do I "enable Active X control " on Blazer???
    You can't; but you can enable Gmail's POP3 access and use Versamail to download your mail.
  4.    #4  
    Bill - Per your message it implies that Treo 650 Blazer cannot access any Web page that requires "Active X to be enabled".

IMHO this means a major design flaw on Palm Blazer team. I hope it is not the case.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    As the Opera browser puts it, there are several reasons for not using ActiveX:

Opera currently does not support ActiveX, nor does it support VBScript. There are three reasons for this:

Opera Software AS is committed to supporting open Internet standards, recommended by the W3C and other organizations, something neither ActiveX nor VBScript, being license issued Microsoft technologies, are. In addition to this, ActiveX is a proprietary technology which is not available for alternative operating systems.

The second reason is much more simple: There's just not enough market demand for these technologies to warrant the cost of implementing them.

In addition, some reports raise the question of how secure ActiveX is. It has been claimed that ActiveX has serious problems with security, and some even say that the problem is an almost complete lack of security. The same concerns have been raised about VBScript.
  6.    #6  
    Wow
    Also, it's not really fair to call it a design flaw that it doesn't support ActiveX or Java applets, even if the ActiveX concerns cyber posted weren't valid (which they are). Those are heavy controls. They require a lot of space on the machine to support them, they take more processing power, the files themselves are often very large, and they're not designed for small screens.

-Brian
  8.    #8  
    I installed the IBM Java on 650 and ran the Install. Java reported "Invalid Midlet" on the Gmail URL.

Any clue what this mean?

TIA
    Playcentric, try as you might, it just won't work. Blazer does not support applets or ActiveX. No browser on the Treo does. I'm not even sure the browsers on Windows Mobile do.
    I doubt ActiveX is the problem, it's more the heavy use of javascript. Mozilla based browsers like Firefox doesn't support ActiveX either but Gmail works fine. Sounds like a bad error message in Blazer
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I wonder if the lack of Active X is what makes Blazer not able to negotiate the final page of my paying my AMEX card on line. [Or, could it be some other short comming of Blazer? I'd love to know. AMEX hasn't a clue.]
    Bill - Per your message it implies that Treo 650 Blazer cannot access any Web page that requires "Active X to be enabled".

IMHO this means a major design flaw on Palm Blazer team. I hope it is not the case.
    Not supporting that POS ActiveWRECKS is a feature, not a bug.
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    Here's how to run active X on your Palm:

Get PalmVNC. Remote connect to your desktop. Open IE. Go to your page. Do your thing. Exit.

I use this for things like Ebay and On-line poker. If you have a firewall you need to punch a whole through it to get to your desktop machine.
    Last edited by zorro869; 02/16/2005 at 06:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    Here's how to run active X on your Palm:

Get PalmVNC. Remote connect to your desktop. Open IE. Go to your page. Do your thing. Exit.

I use this for things like Ebay and On-line poker. If you have a firewall you need to punch a whole through it to get to your desktop machine.
    How do you connect to your desktop computer throught PalmVNC? I use MobileTS to connect to my desktop and there is no way I can use this for poker (using the GPRS connection). Maybe Ebay...

I am an online-poker hobbyist as well and would love to know what you are doing to make this workable.
    RE: POKER

Check your desktop resolution settings, and use 1:2 scaling with Palm Vnc.
    I can see the whole table, and actually read the pot sizes per player. It's a little slow, but works enough so it doesn't effect gameplay by lagging on your every move. This is using a Sprint CDMA phone btw.
    ActiveX essentially allows a browser to run a native windows application inside the browser. Theoretically any Windows application can be written to run as an ActiveX control on a web page - this is what ActiveX is.

For this reason, you will /never/ be able to run ActiveX on any platform other than a windows desktop - and this includes Linux and Mac, and definitely PalmOS/Treo.
    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Sprint TP-3000 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650

rant starts...

No, this isn't a major design flaw for Palm - it is a major design flaw for whatever websites decided to require proprietary, Windows-specific, soon-to-be changed, Microsoft technology.

Developers always have a choice about what technology to use. Some of them gamble, and select specific technologies that are just emerging, or that only work on a few platforms. Microsoft developed something callled DDE, then DDE2, then ActiveX, then COM, then COM+, etc., each time assuring people that the technology is almost done, then will be improved, fixed, etc., only to release a new technology a year later that makes the old one unusable (before it is even finished). And some people still trust them... One really interesting thing to do is to look at the MS announcements about when a technology will be released (Windows 2000, XP, Office, etc.), then look at the delays, renamings, etc., and see that the moving targets actually come out less and less on schedule. Hopefully they'll improve.

Most folks on the web avoid technologies like Flash, ActiveX, etc., and focus on technologies that are meant to be portable (though anyone how has worked with HTML, Java, XML, etc., knows that this is really a goal, rather than a fact at this stage).

OK, rant finished.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Another Microsoft attempt to try to take over the world....
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    So you mean to tell mean that a simple yet SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!! site such as maps.goggle.com can not be displayed on my teo650. I think we need to send in reinforcements.

Bad things man!!!! Bad things!!!!
    Palm V - Palm T3 - IMATE - TREO 650
    Well Google Maps works on FireFox so it can't use ActiveX.

However I just looked at the source code of Google Maps and searched for "object" and it is trying to instantiate the ActiveX object Microsoft.XMLDOM, but I didn't examine it in detail enough to figure out what it does as a fallback...It must do something becaue I don't think that that instantiation would work under firefox. Also I think it works for Mac users, doesn't it? (I don't have a mac to test it)

Anyway I think Google Maps uses the DOM and DHTML extensively, which is something that Blazer probably doesn't support..But I would declare it as a flaw in blazer, just a design/architecture choice on the side of google. If they want to make it work on Blazer too, they can, they just have to limit the technologies they use.
    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Sprint TP-3000 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast