Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I have Snappermail and PocketTunes -- and I like both programs. I would miss them, but in the interest of conserving precious memory on my Treo 650, I'm thinking of ditching Snappermail and Ptunes and just usine the ROM-based Realplayer and Versamail.

I would miss Ptune's ability to bring in Internet radio, but so be it.

Any thoughts on deleting the (superior?) paid applications Snappermail and PocketTunes and just using the memory-free apps that come with the Treo 650.

Has anyone else take this bold step?

--Bill
    If you find an app that you like, I would find the space for it. I have a TON of apps installed and have 12MB free. However, I could never go back from Chatteremail. It rules. I also love eReader and MobileDB. However, all my books and database are in the card, so no worries.

As long as you have 7-8MB free you should be OK. Is there any other thing you can move to the card? What are the apps/databases taking up the most space in RAM for you?
    I kept both but put them on the SD card...
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    ptunes is a must for me. i tried realplayer back when i had a 600, but it would constantly cut in and out and sometimes skip whole songs. went to ptunes and never looked back.

as for email, when i had my 600, i used the default email app, and tied it via pop to my gmail account. never had a single qualm about it. not being able to download attachments was never a prequisite for me anyway. now that i've moved onto the 650, versamail provides me that same basic function of being able to read and send gmail wireless, which for me is plenty.

while i'd love to be able to somehow edit certain pre-installed apps with filez and remove them entirely, i couldn't bear the thought of having to make more space for third-party apps on my sd card, when i can instead have more room for music. but that's me.
    Last edited by b0tes; 02/15/2005 at 10:33 PM.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    If you find an app that you like, I would find the space for it. I have a TON of apps installed and have 12MB free. However, I could never go back from Chatteremail. It rules. I also love eReader and MobileDB. However, all my books and database are in the card, so no worries.

As long as you have 7-8MB free you should be OK. Is there any other thing you can move to the card? What are the apps/databases taking up the most space in RAM for you?
    I have 4.1 megs free right now. If I delete Ptunes and Snappermail I'll free up an extra 2 megs

The one thing that won't work for me is putting applications on my SD card, because I frequently swich SD cards -- each 1 gig SD card is my music playlist.

So there I am. It's a matter of compromises, I guess. Right now I'm leaning toward opening up more memory by deleting Ptunes and Snappermail.

Some of my larger applications are:

ClipPro, 123k
    Default, 393k (I actually don't know what this is!)
    FileZ, 229k
    FlightStatus, 213k
    HandZipper, 187k
    pTunes, 1206k
    Snapper, 708
    SplashPhoto, 387k
    TealLock, 392k
    TreoAlarm, 171k
    VeriChat 703k
    Wordsmith, 734k

--Bill
    If it were me, I'd delete everything else. How often do you use those programs, really? For me, if it's just something neat that I think I would use but rarely have, I'd delete it.

I tend to use the included stuff as much as possible. For example, the 650 can already do a lock, so I haven't looked for an aftermarket lock program.

What you really need to do is see what truly works for you and furthers your true goal.

I have about 5MB free.

Tom
    For your music, are you using mp3 format or ogg or wma? You can cut the size of space needed on your SD cards if you convert to ogg for example, approximately half the size of mp3s and sound almost as good.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Well, I've come to the (premature?) conclusion that I have a lot of junk on my Treo 650 in the way of orphaned and left over files. That's the legacy of migrating from a Treo 180 --> 270 --> 600 --> 650. Along the way a lot of junk, I think, has taked hold of my Treo's memory.

So I just did a hard reset, purchase and installed Clean Uninstaller and am reinstalling my apps from scratch. I bet that will do the trick.

--Bill
    Yeah clean it out first.

I would definitely keep Ptunes. I would also look at maybe mirroring your data on your seperate SD cards. Or keeping one card and just moving your music around.

I have over 100+ programs on my Treo and I have between 7-9 megs free.
    One thing you haven't considered (if you are sprint) is using a custom Rom and eliminating Versamail and RealPlayer altogether, replacing them with snapper and something else. That way you can trade the ram or rom space for what you really want to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by badler
    Well, I've come to the (premature?) conclusion that I have a lot of junk on my Treo 650 in the way of orphaned and left over files. That's the legacy of migrating from a Treo 180 --> 270 --> 600 --> 650. Along the way a lot of junk, I think, has taked hold of my Treo's memory.

So I just did a hard reset, purchase and installed Clean Uninstaller and am reinstalling my apps from scratch. I bet that will do the trick.

--Bill
    If you're starting from scratch, you'll want Uninstall Manager instead, so that if you try some software and want to delete it later, it will ensure everything gets deleted. Is that what you meant?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    If you're starting from scratch, you'll want Uninstall Manager instead, so that if you try some software and want to delete it later, it will ensure everything gets deleted. Is that what you meant?
    I gave CleanUninstaller a whirl. I think it should do more or less the same thing.

My guess is that what's occupying so much memory on my Treo 650 are all of these little files (well, they were little on my Treo 600) that got carried over to my Treo 650 were all these little files from not only uinstalled programs but ROM upgrades, phone unlocks, etc.
    badler, I've got a custom ROM built from Shadowmites Rom #5. No Versamail/RealPlayer. I've got Snappermail loaded into the ROM. Perhaps you would like to do something similiar? If not, you're welcome to the ROM if you can prove that you purchased Snappermail (anything that wouldn't leak sensitive personal info). PM me if you want it.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    For your music, are you using mp3 format or ogg or wma? You can cut the size of space needed on your SD cards if you convert to ogg for example, approximately half the size of mp3s and sound almost as good.
    I'm using MP3. I've read about ogg. But with over 11,000 songs in MP3 format...

--Bill
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    badler, I've got a custom ROM built from Shadowmites Rom #5. No Versamail/RealPlayer. I've got Snappermail loaded into the ROM. Perhaps you would like to do something similiar? If not, you're welcome to the ROM if you can prove that you purchased Snappermail (anything that wouldn't leak sensitive personal info). PM me if you want it.
    I may do that. Thanks. I want to run my Treo 650 through its basics first.

I've taken off Snappermail and Ptunes and am going to see if (??) I can live without them for a week.

Doing a hard reset and resintalling my apps one by one seems to have made a lot more room. There were a considerable number of junk files on my Treo 650 that transferred from my 600.
    ...But with over 11,000 songs in MP3 format...

--Bill
    You need a 60GB iPod my friend... Or a 60GB SD card. Give it a couple of months.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    You need a 60GB iPod my friend... Or a 60GB SD card. Give it a couple of months.
    I've got my eye on the 2 gig SD card. Coming any day now (and actually costs less than a Treo 650!). Not quite big enough, but every gig counts!

--Bill
    I've got my eye on the 2 gig SD card. Coming any day now (and actually costs less than a Treo 650!). Not quite big enough, but every gig counts!

--Bill

from?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    from?
    I found a 2 gig SD card at www.pcmall.com for $180. But there's no shipping date listed. Still, the price is fixed, so that's a good sign.
    do you mean to say that if i hotsync'd my treo, removed/renamed my backup folder, did a hard reset, and then re-hotsync'd/reinstalled all my pim's and third-party apps that it doesn't produce the same results as using an uninstall manager prior to all of the aforementioned?
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    I tried the remove the backup folder idea and somehow some data was able to make it back every time. WEIRD!!!!
    Treoseur
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast