I apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum. My topic is specific to the Treo 650...

Two weeks ago, I visited a local Cingular store in North Brunswick NJ and was surprised that they actually have ONE Treo 650 in stock. Obviously, I didn't think twice and switched from my Tmobile to Cingular service that same day and walked away with a new Treo 650. My old phone was a Treo 600 (unlocked from P1).

The unit costed $449 (before $50 Cingular rebate). The sales rep told me I will also get a $25 gift card for switching from another service provider to Cingular. By the way, this was before Amazon, Buy.com, and others start offering $349 or $319 after-rebate online prices. At the time, I figured 449 - 50 - 25 = $375 is not a bad deal.

For service, I signed up with a 600 min for $49.99 / month. When I wanted data, the sales rep told me that I can't get the Mediaworks, which is unlimited data for $19.xx month. So I had to buy the $39.99 plan for PDA etc. He said the $20 plan won't allow the Treo 650 to access only wap web sites. So I signed up.

Then he told me that SMS is not included even with the $39.99 data plan! So I had to sign up for a 9.99 SMS plan (750 messages).

With Tmobile, my $20 got me unlimited data (on my Treo 600) and also included unlimited or some high number of SMS messages.

So now, without tax and other fees, my monthly Cingular is $49.99 + $39.99 + $9.99 = $90 just for 600 mins and data access. I think this is excessive!

On top of the expensive montly service costs, I found out the $25 gift card expired 12/31/04! By the way, I also purchased a Motorola BT headset for $79.99 before a $20 rebate. When I tried to fill out the form at home, the rebate form expired on 12/31/04 also.

I really wanted to cancel the service and return everything (still within 30 days), but the only issue is that I have already switched my old number from Tmobile to Cingular. I understand that cancellation will kill my number which I have been using for over 6 years!

Questions for Cingular customers:

1. Does the cheaper Mediaworks (or whatever it is called) for $20/month work with the Treo 650 like the more expensive PDA price plan?

2. Do you have to pay extra for the SMS plan even if you get the unlimited data (either $20 or $40 version)?

I was happy that I got the Treo 650 but now, I feel like I have been had!
    Well, at the time, you could get unlimited Mediaworks for $20. The rep was instructed to do as he did, though and only offer you the PDA plan plus the SMS plan. You could have used the various techniques that have been mentioned here to later put unlimited Mediaworks on your plan.

Unfortunately, it's now too late. Unlimited Mediaworks is no longer available to add to an account. You can add 3MB Mediaworks for the $20.

As for the expiration issues, don't attribute to malice that which can better be explained by incompetence. In other words, the rep probably didn't know better.

You didn't get robbed, but you didn't get the best deal possible. But that's just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvan
    Questions for Cingular customers:

1. Does the cheaper Mediaworks (or whatever it is called) for $20/month work with the Treo 650 like the more expensive PDA price plan?

2. Do you have to pay extra for the SMS plan even if you get the unlimited data (either $20 or $40 version)?

I was happy that I got the Treo 650 but now, I feel like I have been had!
    1. Yes, the $19.99 MEdia Works with 1500 SMS, 200 MM, and unlimited web works just fine on your Treo650.

2. No, 1500 sms message allowance was included with the plan.

Now (actually, starting Monday 2/14/05)the 19.99 MEdia Works is limited to 3MB. and the unlimited MEdia Net is $24.99.
    What if I just cancel the PDA data plan and SMS plan now...and wait a few days and add Media.net for unlimited data plus SMS for $25 (vs $50 that I am paying now)?

Is this possible? How does Cingular know that I have a Treo 650 if I add Media Net to my existing voice plan online?
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    1. Yes, the $19.99 MEdia Works with 1500 SMS, 200 MM, and unlimited web works just fine on your Treo650.

2. No, 1500 sms message allowance was included with the plan.

Now (actually, starting Monday 2/14/05)the 19.99 MEdia Works is limited to 3MB. and the unlimited MEdia Net is $24.99.

even if we had MediaWorks prior to this date?
    Quote Originally Posted by dvan
    What if I just cancel the PDA data plan and SMS plan now...and wait a few days and add Media.net for unlimited data plus SMS for $25 (vs $50 that I am paying now)?

Is this possible? How does Cingular know that I have a Treo 650 if I add Media Net to my existing voice plan online?
    Try logging into your account online and doing it. I'm not a Cingular customer (yet), but I believe you can do this. If not, try calling a service rep and tell them you got rid of your Treo and now have a Motorola Razr.

https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase
    Quote Originally Posted by dubLdribL
    even if we had MediaWorks prior to this date?
    I've heard that you're grandfathered in to the unlimited at $20.