Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Interesting.

I bought a second one -- which arrived today from Cingular -- to replace the first, stock, non-synced configuration of the first was resetting constantly).

Some differences:
    • The first unit had the SIM preinstalled, and the box sticker cut, and no plastic over the lens.
    • The second had a SIM card (credit-card version with the snap-off SIM card wrapped in plastic) slipped into the Treo sealed box.
    • There was plastic covering the camera lens of the second unit.
    • The second unit powered up right away, unlike the first version.

Only some notes jotted here for posterity, nothing conclusive to draw from. Please ignore if it's not relevant or interesting to you. I'll post updates on usability, problems or issues here if there's any interest.
    Someone else (MacUser) clearly got a USED 650 from Cingular. (Other people's data still on unit.) Sounds like Cingular either has some employees eager to play or they're sending repacked returned units out the door as new.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    here's a conclusion for your first unit: its a used treo650! sim card in the slot, no plastic covering on the lens......
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    hrm.

well, the power and sync cords was sealed, the screen plastic was still on, but I just don't know. The serial number of the first unit appears later (?) has a 'V', and a much larger IMEI number whereas the new has an 'N', not that this means anything, obviously.
    maybe a store demo?
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Was from Cingular online.
    Well either the first unit was a used/returned unit, the first unit was played with by Cingular employee, the first unit was "setup" by Cingular employee or there was a difference/error in the packaging of the first unit. The last possibility is the least likely in my opinion and the first possiblity is the most likely in my opinion.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    The new one is working without resets (whew!). Holding back on installing any applications until tomorrow, knowing (and hoping) it works as a phone first!

Luckily no client calls 'till tomorrow...
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Just wanted to update. Everything is working perfectly (please keep on knocking)-- phone, HotSyncs, third-party apps, etc., no battery drain problem.

The only difference, so far (with the same SIM) is that I had put a 256MB SimpleTech SD card in the first one. It's been removed for a while even after the first dozen resets, though, so I'm wondering if some SD cards or some SD slots are shorting out or something like that.

I'm leery of putting an SD card in the new one for fear of shorting it (ridiculous, I know.) The first unit was probably just a bum unit. Hopefully.

Works great as a phone!
    I've got a Sandisk Ultra II 512MB in my unlocked GSM. I wouldn't hesitate to put an SD card in there. Even if it is causing a problem, that would be hardware defect you would want to know about and get an exchange for.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Probabally someone bought it, it reset constantly, so they returned it for a new one. It was then re-boxed and sold to you. I'm sure the next sucker down the line is going to get it. I hate it when stores re-sell defective merchandise that people return.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    It was from Cingular online, so I have no idea where it came from. It was ordered early-ish last week-- isn't when the Treos first came out?

I'm just so glad Blazer doesn't f'n lock up!
    #*786...check the life timer, see if it compares with your usage.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    um, it says: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Probabally someone bought it, it reset constantly, so they returned it for a new one. It was then re-boxed and sold to you. I'm sure the next sucker down the line is going to get it. I hate it when stores re-sell defective merchandise that people return.
    Warning: Paranoia Alert!!!

I also bought a Treo 650 from Cingular Online. My box was also opened and the SIM inserted. This was to me an indication that the procedure was to open and insert the SIM before shipping.

The real issue seems to be that some Tre 650's have a fault and some do not.

David
    My 650 had the SIM already inserted in it when I got it. Its perfectly fine.
    I watched them break the seal on the box in front of me in the Cingular store. :-D
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Ironically, the procedure that included NOT inserting a SIM shipped from Cingular online, is what worked. So there's no way to track down a good vs. bad Treo.
    I dont think that them inserting the SIM before you get the device has anything to do with whether it works or not. Sure, it is possible someone played with it and put it back, and it also possible someone tested it to make sure it worked before they shipped it. The manual says the SIM should be outside and shows you how to insert it, so I assume the correct procedure would be to send them out separately. Why mine had the SIM inside already is anyone's guess. As long as my Treo is working fine, I won't sweat it.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    That's what I'm saying. All this, and there's no conclusion as to how you can tell whether it's bad or not, other than involuntarily beta-testing for Palm (i.e., using it.)

Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    I dont think that them inserting the SIM before you get the device has anything to do with whether it works or not.