1.    #1  
    First of all, PalmOne support absolutely SUCKS. I could write a book on the many reasons. Amazing that a company can produce such a phenomenal piece of hardware and not have appropriate resources to support it. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest...

I got my Cingular 650 this past Friday. I was all excited to get it synched up and put my 600 on eBay. A pretty simple task, so I thought. Here it is Tuesday and I'm still between the two phones to get info(600) and receive calls (650). Running OSX 10.3.8 on a Powerbook Aluminum, using Entourage as the center of my organized world. I'll spare all of the details, but I cannot get my 650 accurately synchronized with Entourage. The conduit locks up when syncing my calendar consistently. It brings over partial data. I finally deleted my Palm folder from "Applications" and my Palm folder from "Documents" (which should contain everything related, I think). I then did a hard reset on the 650, rebooted the Mac, reinstalled the software, setup a new user, disabled everything except the Entourage conduits in Palm Desktop and synced again. Same thing. Palm won't support it...only their crap desktop application.

Has anyone run into the same problem and found a workaround??

Is there a better way for me to sync and just bypass anything Palm software related (i.e. might Missing Sync be the answer??)

I've spent days on this and can't figure it out. Any help is great appreciated!!!

(a couple of screenshots from my desktop below)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurora
    First of all, PalmOne support absolutely SUCKS. I could write a book on the many reasons. Amazing that a company can produce such a phenomenal piece of hardware and not have appropriate resources to support it. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest...

I got my Cingular 650 this past Friday. I was all excited to get it synched up and put my 600 on eBay. A pretty simple task, so I thought. Here it is Tuesday and I'm still between the two phones to get info(600) and receive calls (650). Running OSX 10.3.8 on a Powerbook Aluminum, using Entourage as the center of my organized world. I'll spare all of the details, but I cannot get my 650 accurately synchronized with Entourage. The conduit locks up when syncing my calendar consistently. It brings over partial data. I finally deleted my Palm folder from "Applications" and my Palm folder from "Documents" (which should contain everything related, I think). I then did a hard reset on the 650, rebooted the Mac, reinstalled the software, setup a new user, disabled everything except the Entourage conduits in Palm Desktop and synced again. Same thing. Palm won't support it...only their crap desktop application.

Has anyone run into the same problem and found a workaround??

Is there a better way for me to sync and just bypass anything Palm software related (i.e. might Missing Sync be the answer??)

I've spent days on this and can't figure it out. Any help is great appreciated!!!

(a couple of screenshots from my desktop below)
    I use missing sync. A little slow over Bluetooth but works like a charm with my G4 powerbook
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurora
    I finally deleted my Palm folder from "Applications" and my Palm folder from "Documents" (which should contain everything related, I think).
    Ah, this part I can help you with.

Never encountered your exact problem, but I have had to reinstall the Palm Desktop software.

Deleting the Palm folder from "Applications" and from "Documents" is not enough -- files are left in other places that you need to delete as part of a complete uninstall before reinstalling.

Some examples:
    Library/Preferences/com.palm.desktop.plist
    Library/Preferences/com.palm.HotSync.plist
    Library/Applications Support/Palm Desktop
    Library/Applications Support/Palm HotSync (this is an important one because this is what keeps track of your active and inactive conduits, in the "Conduits" and "Disabled Conduits" folders)

What I always do is type in "palm" in the Finder window's search box, and delete every file it finds. (But remember to save a backup of your data and don't delete it!)

Only then do I try reinstalling the Palm software.

Good luck!

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
  4.    #4  
    Tanster.....thanks so much. I'll bet thats it! Going to try it!
  5.    #5  
    I dumped the "Handheld Installer" Entourage conduit earlier (the one you install from the Office 2004 install CD)...do you think it matters if I re-install it before or after I install the Palm software?
    i would install it after i install palm software. that way, the entourage conduit settings will moved the palm conduits into the disabled conduits folder and put its own conduits in the active conduits folder.
  7.    #7  
    There may be something corrupt with one of my appointments....according to Microsoft, if it is recurring with no end date, could cause the problem....Does that make sense???

I now have to sift through all of them, and also delete all of the duplicates that were created....I'll be busy for the next 3-4 hours....is there an easier way to delete duplicate appointments??
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I use missing sync which really makes things easier, but all the problems I have with Entourage come from the palm conduit from Microsoft. I have had so many problems with syncing appointments that I just gave up for now and manually enter appointments on the handheld and in Entourage (ie no timezone sync, no category sync with calendar, appointments synced then edited on the treo disappear after the next sync and reappear after another sync but with lost info, etc.). Looks like our only real hope is that Microsoft releases a newer version of the palm conduit. Everything else syncs fine from Entourage.
    I finally got Entourage 2004 synching properly with my Cingular GSM Treo 650. Basically I had to delete everything from my mac. Search for anything with "palm" "hotsync" or "conduit" in it and drag it to the trash.

Then do a fresh install of the Palm software that comes with the treo. Sync it first to make sure it works. Then run the Microsoft "handheld sync installer" that comes with Office 2004 (look in applications). After that, sync again and you should be good to go.
  10. aol
    I don't have any specific help but I wanted to post (since Entourage syncing has been a thorn in my side for over a year with friends' phones and the wacky support from Palm Desktop) that I have lots of good things to say about syncing Entourage to a 650. I've found that most issues are resolved by (a) completely (and I mean completely) uninstalling Palm Desktop and reinstalling, and/or (b) doing a soft reset on the 650.

Stuff I've been able to do: sync via bluetooth with Palm Desktop, sync via bluetooth with Apple iCal and Address Book (using Apple's iSync Palm conduit on Apple.com), sync via bluetooth with Entourage (using MS Office 2004's palm conduit installer, which uninstalls the Palm Desktop conduit), and sync via bluetooth with Entourage using iSync using e2Sync. Note that as far as I know, all syncing does require Palm Desktop to get the HotSync manager, if nothing else. I was hoping that e2Sync would work with iSync and not require Palm Desktop at all, but even iSync can't add the phone, you have to go into HotSync manager to add the phone to the list of iSync devices, and when you perform your sync (have to initiate from the phone) it's a pretty kludgey mess of seeing a HotSync progress window, an iSync progress window, and opening Entourage. I think the smoothest thing is to just use Palm Desktop and install the Office 2004 Palm conduit over it, and then sync like normal.

FYI a friend has an i550 and uses Mark/Space to sync to Entourage, so Mark/Space's products might be another option, but like I said, the free Palm Desktop/Office 2004 conduit seems to work fine for me.
    Try dbscan.prc to find the corrupt appointment entry. You can find this utility @ http://www.mytreo.net under Downloads (freebie).

Hope this helps :-)
    I just got a new G4 ibook and installed Missing Sync right away. I synced fine using BT but man it was slow. No problems so far.
    not sure if you've solved your problems but i had this exact issue as well when i first got my 650. i will note that i have plenty of recurring tasks with no end date so that wasn't my issue even though that's what supposedly can cause these problems.

here's what i did to finally make it work:

1. uninstall palm's desktop app via their uninstall option and then do a clean install, and then get and install mark/space's missing sync, it'll definitely be one of the best purchases you can make for your 650
    2. make sure all hotsync related files are gone (which missing sync's install should take care of)
    3. ditch the old palm conduits for tasks/calendar/contacts/memos and replace with the entourage conduit either by copying it over from a backup or running MS's installer
    4. make sure the check the synch with new handhelds checkbox in the entourage conduit (it looks like you did in your screenshot)
    5. make sure you have abundant space on your 650; on my previous palm device (a clie ux-50) my 4 core databases (tasks, memos, calendar, and contacts) totalled 1MB, and because of the new memory structure on the 650 they total well over 5MB. needless to say but if you run out of room on your 650 during a sync, you're in for a world of pain.
    6. you might want to set entourage to overwrite the handheld if it's your first sync
    7 sync, it will take a while and you should be good to go

BTW, i am sticking to USB synching since it is sooo much faster than bluetooth...

good luck and feel free to message me if you want...
    Quote Originally Posted by spnyc
    not sure if you've solved your problems but i had this exact issue as well when i first got my 650. i will note that i have plenty of recurring tasks with no end date so that wasn't my issue even though that's what supposedly can cause these problems.

here's what i did to finally make it work:

1. uninstall palm's desktop app via their uninstall option and then do a clean install, and then get and install mark/space's missing sync, it'll definitely be one of the best purchases you can make for your 650
    2. make sure all hotsync related files are gone (which missing sync's install should take care of)
    3. ditch the old palm conduits for tasks/calendar/contacts/memos and replace with the entourage conduit either by copying it over from a backup or running MS's installer
    4. make sure the check the synch with new handhelds checkbox in the entourage conduit (it looks like you did in your screenshot)
    5. make sure you have abundant space on your 650; on my previous palm device (a clie ux-50) my 4 core databases (tasks, memos, calendar, and contacts) totalled 1MB, and because of the new memory structure on the 650 they total well over 5MB. needless to say but if you run out of room on your 650 during a sync, you're in for a world of pain.
    6. you might want to set entourage to overwrite the handheld if it's your first sync
    7 sync, it will take a while and you should be good to go

BTW, i am sticking to USB synching since it is sooo much faster than bluetooth...

good luck and feel free to message me if you want...
    I don't believe you can install the Entourage conduit without first installing the Palm Desktop software. So, should I uninstall the Palm software as well as the Entourage Conduit, then install them all again? I've been syncing with Hotsync and it suddenly stopped working. Once that is done, I'm not clear on when to install Missing Sync.

Thanks for the help
    David
    When I upgraded from a 600 I deleted anything with "palm" "conduit" or "hotsync" in it. I then did a clean install of Palm Desktop off the 650 CD, then installed the microsoft handheld sync conduits that come with Office 2004. You really shouldn't need missing sync if you are only syncing with entourage.
    Hey People
    Where is this entourage conduit
    All I see is Handheld sync installer

Thanks
  17.    #17  
    That is the Entourage conduit. Make sure you have the latest version from Microsoft's site...
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by piramid
    Hey People
    Where is this entourage conduit
    All I see is Handheld sync installer

Thanks
    Did you run the installer located in Application:Microsoft Office 2004: Additional Tools: handheld sync installer?

That's the entourage conduit installer.