Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Which means better to wait for another month or so to have early production problems ironed out.
    Brightcam for the 650 is in beta and works great (beta02 at least) for controlling the keybord backlight and screen brightness
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Actually option + p can increase/decrease both screen and keyboard together.

Option + right shift does a "night mode" that reduces both screen and keyboard to about 1/2 brightness. Pressing them again restores to the previous setting.

Really, really nice enhancement. Makes alot of sense and should have been like to begin with. Another unlocked GSM perk.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    when i adjust the brightness (option +p), the brightness of the kb and screen change.

i have the unlocked gsm treo.

is this the confirmation you are looking for?

firmware 01.14
    software treo650-105-row
    hardware a.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Brightcam for the 650 is in beta and works great (beta02 at least) for controlling the keybord backlight and screen brightness
    When you say controlling keyboard backlight, do you mean turning on and off, or variable dimming?

Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    I'm sure there will be firmware updates for the other models eventually, hopefully this will be included.
    The Palm execs at the roadshow said the hardware was incapable of dimming the keyboard. If they were telling the truth, then I doubt a firmware upgrade will fix existing phones. But it sure seems odd that unlocked GSM phones exhibit this behavior while Cing. versions don't. Time will tell, I guess. But if future Sprint 650s offer this capability in the future (and old ones can't be upgraded), I'll certainly understand the person who might "lose" his older 650.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    F1 execs have no clue what the Treo can or cannot do.

I'm willing to wager this will never be fixed for the exisiting Sprint Treos.

Again, thanks F1 for sticking it to the users again. Obviously, the ability to fix this has been around for a while, and F1 decided not to either recall the units or issue a firmware patch.
    I'm tempted to just take my treo apart and manually adust the brightness of the keyboard by either taking out an led or two or resistoring them down....the keyboard light is simply TOO BRIGHT IN ALL CONDITIONS!

I use KBlightsoff and it works great...but when the keyboard light is on, it is too bright....we need variable dimming on the keyboard light like the unlocked GSM users have!
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    When you say controlling keyboard backlight, do you mean turning on and off, or variable dimming?

It's variable at the same rate as the screen.
    I have not added any KB dimming s/w to Sprint 650 and once (one time only) the KB light went completely off and the screen was still illuminated. I initially thought the KB lighting was broke as I played w/brightness controls. As panic started, I cycled power (red key) and everything came back to normal. Has not happened again. Anyone seen this?
    FastFrank
    I have a friend with Sprint 650 (awaiting my unlocked GSM) and I just couldn't get past the blindingly, distractingly bright keyboard on that thing. I'm sure glad p1 addressed this. I hope carrier-specific models get the fix via FW update.

Todd/Indy
  10. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fry-man22
    It's variable at the same rate as the screen.
    I think he was asking about the capabilities of the BrightCam application on non-unlocked Treo 650 GSMs...
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112
    Shadowmite!!! Help!!!
    Oh no you don't! He's back on a roll with Wifi and Hell if I am gonna let anyone take him off of that quest!!!
    ~'kito
    shadowmite!!!!
    Fix what? There's nothing broken in the Sprint or Cingular models related to this. The user's manual states that the brightness setting controls screen brightness, not screen and keyboard brightness. So technically it's a discrepancy in the unlocked GSM model, but practically speaking, it's an enhancement that they added to the latest firmware, which hasn't been ported over to the Sprint and Cingular builds yet.

It seems you are bent on bashing palmOne, rather than contributing in any constructive way to discussions.
    Well, I doubt they (palmOne and the carriers) would put out a firmware update just for this, but other issues that have surfaced (such as the promised DUN updates) will likely force a firmware update release at some point. And as I said, hopefully this enhancement will be included.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    I think he was asking about the capabilities of the BrightCam application on non-unlocked Treo 650 GSMs...
    Brightcam doesn't dim the keyboard backlight, only turns it on or off based on how you set it up and in what conditions you want the backlight on.

Maybe a silly question, but are you sure the keyboard backlight is actually getting dimmer? Or does it just seem that way based on the brightness of the screen when it adjusts?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  16.    #36  
    Trust me it gets dimmer. I had the cingular 650 before this unlocked one and it did not do that. Its works perfectly.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Maybe a silly question, but are you sure the keyboard backlight is actually getting dimmer? Or does it just seem that way based on the brightness of the screen when it adjusts?
    No it's the real deal... it goes from very dim to very bright in sync with the screen brightness.
    Motionapps have a an app called MLights which dims both screen and keyboard together, based on the selection of daylight hours which you can configure to your needs. Turns off the keyboard lights during the daylight hours, with full screen brightness. At night, dims both keyboard and screen.
    Have you tested mlights on a 650? I've looked at their website, and it refers to dimming the screen. But for the keyboard, it only talks about on and off, not variable brightness.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    There is nothing in the published API calls that allows progams to change the keyboard brightness. There is only on/off control. This new feature must be in FW.

Jeff
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast