1. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Dear International Treo Travelers, I've been looking into the TomTom software/bluetooth GPS package, but I need to be able to read my GPS coordinates in Costa Rica, at the very least. I understand that the TomTom mapping feature would not work because TomTom does not have a map for Costa Rica. But I was hoping to still have GPS coordinates. I have spoken with a very friendly TomTom sales rep (I was totally shocked that they got back to me), who told me that this was not possible with the TomTom package because the software would not recognize the location in Costa Rica. Is this true? Do you have any recommendations for bluetooth GPS that could give me coordinates (or perhaps even mapping) in Costa Rica? Thanks! jes
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Map and compass?

Couldn't resist.

Mapopolis has boatloads of maps, as does HandMap. As far as their compatibility goes, I have no idea. I've owned both, and I hate flat surface mapping, personally. And both their interfaces are -- how do I put this -- ugly.

US$.02
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Map and compass?
    No, won't work. Heh, I spent 3 weeks there. There are no road signs and no addresses.

They give directions like:
    Go down past the *Coca Cola bottling plant and make a left, pass three houses and make a right at the corner where you see an old man sitting in a chair in front of a blue house... I rented a car there, it was harrowing to say the least. (*Not to mention the fact that although the Coca Cola bottling plant closed 15 years ago, it is still used as a point of reference.

It is a beautiful place though.
  4. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Yes cglaguna, I've heard that the roads are very very bad in Costa Rica. So a GPS coordinate and a topography map (on paper) of Costa Rica would help immensely. And if I find the old Coca Cola factory, I promise to report its GPS coordinate on this forum for you. Iomatic makes a good point about Mapquest and Handmap; TomTom has a great display.

So, I want TomTom, which does not have maps for Costa Rica. But that's OK if I can still get my GPS coordinates in Costa Rica. Does anyone know if I can do this with the TomTom/BluetoothGPS package???

What happens when say you are in Costa Rica, and you open TomTom? Does it give you GPS coordinates, or does it just say "I am absolutely useless in whatever location you are right now?"

What happens when you are in New York, but you don't have the New York map loaded on you Treo 650. Does TomTom give you GPS coordinates, or does it just say "I am absolutely useless in whatever location you are right now?"
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
  6. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Thanks iomatic, I'm really hopeful for the Digital Atlas program on http://www.gpspilot.com. Apparently, I can scan a map into a file, put it on my SD card, and calibrate it to GPS coordinate system, then use it with on the Digital Atlas program. Appreciate the help.
  7. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Hello, TomTom sales got back to me by email (it took a week, but they did respond). Here's what they said: "We do not offer maps of Costa Rica but the GPS Status screen in Navigator will display your Lat/Long." So, I will get TomTom and the program I mentioned in my lasr post on this thread. I'm sure this info will be useful to someone here in treocentral. Thanks for helping. JES
    jes, what did you end up using for your trip?

Did Atlas work for you? where did you get an electronic topo map of Costa Rica?

Thanks,
    Ix.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Bluetooth GPS won't work in Israel, if anyone cares, since that frequency is used by the goverment.

Joe