Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ?
    Smartphone Evolution:
    i330 (8/03), i500 (5/04), i600 (11/04), PPC6601 (12/04), Treo 650 (1/05), PPC6600 (10/05), PPC6700 (12/05), Treo 650 (6/06), PPC6700 (9/06), Treo 700wx (10/06)
    Support it?

I'd buy 300 the first day they come out and refit my entire company.

To me, a Windows Mobile version is the only way P1 survives.

Multi-tasking is needed desparately, and Cobalt phones are still a year(s) away.
    No I have tried windows mobile pda's since pocket pc 2000, and even their newest os still takes way too long to do things that a palm can accomplish in a way more intuitive and less amount of steps. I still find the palm os so much more intuitive and user friendly than windows mobile. I wouldn't really want a treo with windows mobile, I like having my treo with the palm os. This is not a flame, I have used windows mobile pda's, but still prefer the palm os.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Support it?

I'd buy 300 the first day they come out and refit my entire company.

To me, a Windows Mobile version is the only way P1 survives.

Multi-tasking is needed desparately, and Cobalt phones are still a year(s) away.
    Well, why not just get a PPC 6601? HTC builds the suckers, just like they build the TREO. Hey, maybe that isn't good....
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I would rather see Treo Apple or Linux software. Gotta keep that competition going.
    I used to despise Apples but I would vote for the TrApple as well. Pocket PC does not interest me at all.
    Last edited by cglaguna; 02/15/2005 at 10:40 AM.
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.............................
    no! its a nightmare!!!!!!!!!
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    ditto, including all of the o's
    I'd strongly consider it. Don't know if I can say I'd buy it right now.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Heck yeah I would, and throw in Wi-Fi and more memory too. It will probably have less of a reset problem too.
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaver99
    Heck yeah I would, and throw in Wi-Fi and more memory too. It will probably have less of a reset problem too.
    Don't be so sure. I know of some Pocket PC owners that though they love having 128MB RAM, they still get resets. Plus they have no battery life (especially with Wifi) and the phone generally are inferior to the Treo's (though I have never tried to use a Sprint with the voice problem).
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    You CAN turn off the WiFi if you didn't know. I've owned 3 Pocket PCs and have been happy with them. Also owned a Palm III and a Sony Clie NX73 and they have been great, especially the Clie. I miss that gamepad! There's a hell of a lot more software for the Palm, but overall the Pocket PC is a much more powerful device. I've actually had little or no reset problems with the Pocket PC than I did with my Palms. Anyway, I don't want this to start into another senseless and dragged out PPC Vs Palm thread.
    Some are luckier than others with their gadgets.
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
    Only if:

1.) Must have complete 5-way D-pad integration like the Palm OS one. I don't care if it never crashes, multitasks in 1KB of memory, etc.. if I have to pull out a freaking stylus. One handed operation is a must.
    2.) They upgrade the PIM apps to be at least on par with the current one. PPC PIM apps are a joke, and the third party ones have terrible UIs (in my opinion) and suffer from featuritis without addressing the basics.

Then I would consider it. Functionality is key, the ease of use and one handed operation is what makes a Treo a Treo. The lookup for contacts beats everything on the market. If they keep the features intact, then I don't care as much about what the OS is.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Gah! Pocket PC has got to be the worst implementation of OSs anywhere, second only to Windows itself. If you haven't yet used Mac OS X, you need to get your (virtual) *** down to a store and plunk down some money on a Mac short-term, rather than headaches, viruses, and pain long-term.

The answer is, 'HELL NO'.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Absolutely!! Realize that you are asking this question on a board full of Palm Only types, but I would definitely give a Windows Mobile Treo a shot. I have a Treo 600, 650 on the way, and an iPAQ 6315. I like each of these devices for different reasons and have gotten to spend a good amount of time really using each in normal situations.

The 6315 makes for a better PDA, with excellent PIM handling. The Treo 600 and 650 make better phones with great PIM capability. I don't give either platform an advantage for integration of the phone and PIM because there are a number of things that each simply can't do that the other can. It will depend on an individuals needs as to the level of integration experienced and of how much use it is. It would be nice if those of use who really like the features of the Treo, especially the hardware features, could use it with the OS that works better for us. I would applaud such a device, and I'd buy it.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I used to despise Apples but I would vote for the TrApple as well. Pocket PC does not interest me at all.
    isn't Apple bigger so wouldn't it be Appreo
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I believe they should offer both windows mobile and palm. Therefore giving us a choice. That would be nice.
    I had 2 ppc's. They are very tedious to use. I find navigating the treo MUCH easier. I can get my contact and make a call in about 5 seconds on my 650.

Problem is, PPC's have quite a bit more development for more processor intensive software because palm stuck to those crappy motorola processors for so long. Things like GPS', emulators and multimedia are finally starting to catch up on Palm's end.

If Palm can stay competitive in those areas i'll never go back to a PPC. Palm's minimalist approach to their gui is my favorite so far for a handheld device.

-BT
    I take one in an instant. To me, the best things about the Treo are the size, and being able to do most things one handed. It is not because of the Palm OS that I like it. If a WM2003 device was packaged in a 650 case, I would take one.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast