Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not me.....got too much invested in the Palm software and I love the Palm GUI.
    gwb, the treo form factor is still better.

whoever made the mac comment, we are talking about PDAs, not desktps. Also get a grip. OS X is just as complex, if not more so, than win XP. Apple lost any UI advantage years ago.

PPC is evolving...how many versions over the past six years? 4, 5?

Palm hasn't had a significant change in over 7 years, OS wise. 5.x is basically 3.x with color and some networking stacks. Whoopee freakin' doo.

The treo form factor, coupled with PPC could be very nice.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again - the only way F1 stays in business to make multi-platform Treos.
    What I like to know is what will happen to all the thousands of palm software that been written by software developers if windows and Treo come together? Are they just going to be discarded?
    i would that would be neat in my opinion. i do have a windows machine so it would naturally be nicer to have. but i love the treo!
    sanny
    los angeles, ca
    tmo with unbranded unlocked treo 650
    coolest thing: bluetooth syncing and internet browsing!
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Pocket Pc is far superior IMHO. I really don't like Palm OS, but have to adapt to it. If I could get pocket informant for palm os, I could cope with palm os alot better. Agendus and datebook 5 cannot compare to Pocket Informant.........NO WAY, NO HOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52
    Don't be so sure. I know of some Pocket PC owners that though they love having 128MB RAM, they still get resets. Plus they have no battery life (especially with Wifi) and the phone generally are inferior to the Treo's (though I have never tried to use a Sprint with the voice problem).
    In addition to my 650 I have a Dell Axim X50v .. It has _never_ not once reset on me.

I have had 2 lockups that I have had to soft boot but as far as stability goes PocketPC kicks treo's ***.

As far as battery life, useful appliactions, and a good form factor go, the Treo kicks any ppc's ***.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Support it?

I'd buy 300 the first day they come out and refit my entire company.

To me, a Windows Mobile version is the only way P1 survives.

Multi-tasking is needed desparately, and Cobalt phones are still a year(s) away.
    I wouldn't and I don't understand how YOU suddenly go from F1 to P1 just because they go to Windows? Does going to windows fix all the problems with the Treo? It doesn't fix the keyboard problems, I know that.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabulas
    Pocket Pc is far superior IMHO. I really don't like Palm OS, but have to adapt to it. If I could get pocket informant for palm os, I could cope with palm os alot better. Agendus and datebook 5 cannot compare to Pocket Informant.........NO WAY, NO HOW!
    You really think so, huh? Wow, that was the one thing I thought was better on the Palm side. I prefer Agendus over Agenda Fusion (Sorry, for PPC's I've always prefered AF over PI.)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    It doesn't fix the keyboard problems, I know that.
    No, it doesn't fix the keyboard problems, but it may fix others. If MS decides to do this, and if they decide to really stick their nose in PalmOne's business (and believe me, all you PalmOne apologists and sympathizers, you really want MS to do that to straighten PalmOne around), they are big enough to tell Sprint and Cingular what will and won't be included in the next Treo, rather than the other way around. You won't have any of these ridiculous BT DUN and WiFi problems if MS really wants those features in the next Treo. The US government and the EU can hardly stop MS, there's no chance that Sprint or Cingular can.

Treo form factor + Windows Mobile =
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    While I like Palm OS a lot, I will always go with the devices that offers the best functionality that's relevant to my work & personal life. Right now, that's Palm OS on a Treo 650. If it becomes PPC/Symbian/Linux on some other hardware in the future, so be it.

Face it, we use these devices for the functionality they offer and the ways they can simplify or help manage our lives. Considering that, the application suite, function integration, and formfactor are fundamentally more important than the underlying OS. The OS merely enables the above; it doesn't provide them.
    - Fushigi
    i'd hate to judge it before trying it out, but from where i stand with what little experience i've had with ppc, i'd concur and say "no".
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    I was referring more to PPC phone edition devices (what the Treo competes with) not PPC handhelds. Just a clarification.
    I am still F1.

PPC would likely fix a lot of problems, which are , IMO, due to an OS that cannot multitask.

Sure the keyboard issue is hw and cannot be fixed by sw.
    But I would take a reduction in resets anyday of the week.

F1 either goes PPC or dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    PPC would likely fix a lot of problems, which are , IMO, due to an OS that cannot multitask.

Sure the keyboard issue is hw and cannot be fixed by sw.
    But I would take a reduction in resets anyday of the week.
    Preach on. My phone has probably reset 6 times already today. Damn Lightwav.
    Quote Originally Posted by soccrnj80
    No I have tried windows mobile pda's since pocket pc 2000, and even their newest os still takes way too long to do things that a palm can accomplish in a way more intuitive and less amount of steps. I still find the palm os so much more intuitive and user friendly than windows mobile. I wouldn't really want a treo with windows mobile, I like having my treo with the palm os. This is not a flame, I have used windows mobile pda's, but still prefer the palm os.

I'm with this guy. I used to have a pocketpc device and I like the speed and simplicity of the palm os. Doing things on the treo is a bit faster than doing the same thing on ppc. The only thing i miss is being able to start a sync from the desktop so I dont have to take the treo out of my pocket. I do have automated scheduled syncs which is ok but not exactly what i'm looking for.
    The Windows PPC is crowded with lots of cool hardware - what makes the Treo special is the PalmOS, which is simple, fast and efficient. Its support of video and audio now rivals the PPCs. I've tried PPCs a couple of times, and always end up coming back to good 'ol palm.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    IMHO the Treo hardware is not a suitable platform for Windows Mobile. There are new WM devices coming out in the next year that will raise the bar far beyond the current norm.
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
    my main concern is the OS. and if i neded windows mobile i would go with others e.g i-mate especially it's been in the market for a while, and forget about the treo even if it has windows mobile OS.

So NO, i want PALM OS.

and if it happens say bye bye to palmone.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Exactly. Win Mobile stinks… Microsoft never designs anything well, they only create products with the sole purpose of increasing their shareholder value, which, ironically they're not doing. Pocket PC 2003 is cumbersome, and not mobile-friendly. It's prone to _really bad_ crashes, eats RAM like OS 9, and is the ugliest OS ever to be placed in a device. I know, I'm being shy about the way I feel, but really, what has Microsoft really innovated besides draconian business practices?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12