Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Good Morning All,

I sent the following e-mail (see below) to Sprint PCS's Jeff Shafer last week. The e-mail was in regards to Sprint statement to fix the bluetooth dun in Palm One's Treo 650 "relatively soon".Three months later and still no "maintenance update."

See the story here...

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/481-1.htm

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/480-1.htm

Sprint issued those statements within about 24 hours of the uproar here on Treocentral about that the lack of the bluetooth dun in the 650. Sprint was taken to task about it and sure enough a statement was made by them that helped squelch the fire. The websites were soothed and Sprint went about selling the phones. Now we find ourselves still no dun, 3 months later and quickly heading towards 4.

I have been trying to get as many treo sites interested in this as possible. We should not be allowing Sprint to just write this off. I am asking Treocentral members and it's editorial staff to help fight to get the update they eluded to. For Treocentral to once again bring this issue to the forfront with the same fire they did 3 months ago when they found out bt dun was disabled.

I need the bt to work as promised and not with some software hack or third party solution.We are mac bassed so bt thrid party solutions don't really exsist. I appreciate Shadowmites work on this issue. PalmOne should be begiing this guy to work for them. Regardless, I need bt dun to just work seemlessly with out the worries of various bugs and resets.

This wouldn't be such a slap in the face but now Palm One is selling unlocked GSM phones with the bt dun enabled. So this is obviously a carrier issue still. Help put the pressure on Sprint, e-mail their corporate offices, e-mail the editorial staff of this site, let Sprint know we want what they promised "relatively soon."

Thanks for listening,

Scott

The e-mail:

-------------------------

Mr. Shafer,

As a Treo 650 owner and long time Sprint customer I would like to know when Sprint plans to release the maintenance update to address the bluetooth dun issue. Currently, consumers can buy unlocked GMS Treo 650's from Palm One with bluetooth enabled. This would suggest to me that the tie up once again is at the carrier level.

Now, on or about October 27, 2004 you issued the following statement:

From Jeff Shafer, Sprint PCS Public Relations:

"Read your article on the Treo 650, and I wanted to make sure you fully understand the Bluetooth DUN stance from Sprint. While the functionality is not currently enabled (due to some timing issues around the launch), it will be enabled via a maintenance software release coming relatively soon (no specific timing is available as we have to test things to ensure the best possible experience). We currently support this functionality in the new PPC-6600/6601, so I want to make sure that there is not a sense that Sprint is suppressing a function. Once testing is complete, the functionality will become available."

It is now over 3 months later and the bluetooth dun issue is still not addressed. 3 months is beyond the window of "relatively soon" in my opinion and I request that Sprint provide it users with a formal date for the release.

Scott

And Sprints only response after I sent a second e-mail:

---------------

Scott,

I have sent your inquiry into our product organization and am waiting
    for a response. No change in Sprint's position at this time.

Jeff Shafer

-------------
    Scott Audette Inc.
    Editorial & Sports Photography

Official Team Photographer for the NHL 2004 Stanley Cup Champion Tampa Bay Lightning
    As I said when I released my patch, they never had any intention of releasing a update for this. That was simply a excuse to calm everyone down. I am doing my best to fix the patch I created to emulate the unlocked gsm version now that I understand how it works. The bad part, even the unlocked phone has bugs in it's implementation...

Try not to get to upset, sprint has every right to do everything they can to control their network. If you don't like it, switch carriers. That's about all you can do.
    sprint is liable for false ad & missrepreentations they made by promising bt dun... which conned people into buying their phone...
  4.    #4  
    John,

You hit the nail on the head. BT dun is one of the several reasons I bought the phone.

I had orginally decided against buying this device the day all the reports came out and said no bt dun. Then after Sprint's statement I made the choice to go ahead and buy the 650. So, I let a month go by before my purchase figuring that the update would come soon and boy was I wrong!

Shadowmite, I truly appreciate you efforts. But there is something else I can do. Changing carriers is not the only solution.

One is to let people read my words and for me encourage those same people to voice their unhappiness to Sprint. Grassroot efforts still work.

Scott
    Scott Audette Inc.

Official Team Photographer for the NHL 2004 Stanley Cup Champion Tampa Bay Lightning
    hmmm..
    I know of someone who got free upgrade from 600 to a 650 because their sprint 600 box stated that it supported 3rd party bt & wifi cards....(which never became a reality as we all know) & that was why they bought it! wink wink
    so.......
    you waited 3 months...

you may wait another 3 or 6 or 9.

Sprint is in now hurry to fix this...I doubt they willl.
    Nobody's gonna fix anything as long as people are thrilled to fix it themselves...but I've been there already....
    Sprint will be Sprint, maybe we will see something on the 700 or 750, but I don't expect it for the 650.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  9.    #9  
    Good Evening All,

Looks like I will find out something tomorrow on bluetooth dun and the 650.

Today, I sent an e-mail to the CEO of Sprint, Gary Forsee outlining my concerns. He was kind enough to respond directly back to me shortly thereafter. He has passed the e-mail along to a member of his staff with whom I have been playing phone tag with this afternoon. I was tied up wth tho whole NHL lockout thing but that's for another forum entirely.

Who knows what they might tell me? And like I said earlier iif my one voice can be heard can you imagine what all of our voices might sound like to Sprint? Food for thought...

Scott
    Scott Audette Inc.

We're all behind ya, maybe you should craft some kind of form letter we can all spam Gary with (after you try to work it out diplomatically first of course
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    My fingers are crossed that DUN will be enabled in a firmware update that P1 will hopefully release sometime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    My fingers are crossed that DUN will be enabled in a firmware update that P1 will hopefully release sometime soon.
    BUT, has anyone heard anything official regarding the infamous PalmOne update recently? Reading your comment made me wonder about that, and I can't find any reference to it any longer on the PalmOne web site. Didin't there used to be something on the Sprint Treo 650 support page?

ChickenHawk
    Scott -

Thank you for your efforts. Even if we don't get a fix anytime soon, I would love to see an offical response from them, as you first requested.
    Last edited by B-model; 02/17/2005 at 09:39 PM.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Just a quick 'me too'. While I love my 650, I really want officially supported DUN as soon as possible seeing as it was more or less promised to us.
    I agree totally with the statement of "Sprint" should reply to your question and fix the problem as they said the would. I also have been enjoying DUN because of what Shadowmite has done for many weeks. Thanks to Shadowmite for picking up where Sprint failed
    I too am unhappy that Sprint hasn't followed through on their commitment to add DUN support. If they don't respond properly then I agree it's time to make more noise here at treocentral.

-P
    If it's a necessity get PDANet for the 650 works great. Fast and the best release of this software to date. Yes, I know it costs money...but it's a solution in the meantime for those that MUST have Bluetooth Connectivity immediately
    I am asking Treocentral members and it's editorial staff to help fight to get the update they eluded to.

"eluded"...heh, heh... Am I the only one who noticed the irony in that typo?

It appears that Sprint has eluded their allusion.

And while I'm at it...

it's : contraction of "it is"
    its : possessive form of "it"
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottAudette
    Good Evening All,

Looks like I will find out something tomorrow on bluetooth dun and the 650.

Today, I sent an e-mail to the CEO of Sprint, Gary Forsee outlining my concerns. He was kind enough to respond directly back to me shortly thereafter. He has passed the e-mail along to a member of his staff with whom I have been playing phone tag with this afternoon. I was tied up wth tho whole NHL lockout thing but that's for another forum entirely.

Who knows what they might tell me? And like I said earlier iif my one voice can be heard can you imagine what all of our voices might sound like to Sprint? Food for thought...

Scott
    So, did you ever hear anything back? Would you be willing to share the email address that you used to contact Mr. Forsee?
    Quote Originally Posted by CambAngst
    So, did you ever hear anything back? Would you be willing to share the email address that you used to contact Mr. Forsee?
    Actually, I found it myself:

Gary.D.Forsee@mail.sprint.com

Google would seem to indicate that there is no shortage of people who have emailed Mr. Forsee about one beef or another. For everyone's information, here is what I sent to Mr. Forsee

Dear Mr. Forsee,

My name is Daniel Smith. I have been a SprintPCS customer since approximately 1999 -- to be honest, it's been so long that I've forgotten the exact year I first signed up with Sprint. During that time, I've had a number of issues with the various Sprint phones and service plans I've had, all of which have eventually been resolved very professionally and to my satisfaction. I have always considered myself to be a satisfied customer. Now, I have an issue with SprintPCS that I'd like to bring to your attention.

I recently purchased a PalmOne Treo 650. The phone was a replacement for my Treo 600. As of the time of this writing, the Bluetooth DUN feature in the Treo 650 remains disabled as a result of Sprint's software implementation. This has been a well-known issue for many months. In fact, on or about October 27, 2004, a gentleman named Jeff Shafer from SprintPCS Public Relations issued the following statement in response to a story published on the Treo community web site TreoCentral.com:

"Read your article on the Treo 650, and I wanted to make sure you fully understand the Bluetooth DUN stance from Sprint. While the functionality is not currently enabled (due to some timing issues around the launch), it will be enabled via a maintenance software release coming relatively soon (no specific timing is available as we have to test things to ensure the best possible experience). We currently support this functionality in the new PPC-6600/6601, so I want to make sure that there is not a sense that Sprint is suppressing a function. Once testing is complete, the functionality will become available."

It has now been over 6 months since this statement was issued, and there has been no further information from Sprint regarding Bluetooth DUN support on the Treo 650. I do not believe that there is an insurmountable technical issue. You can readily purchase unlocked Treo 650 devices from PalmOne that have Bluetooth DUN fully enabled. I believe that the issue rests solely with SprintPCS. I would greatly appreciate your help in determining, once and for all, whether SprintPCS intends to issue a software update enabling Bluetooth DUN on the Treo 650. If so, I would like to know when.

I eagerly await your response.

Dan Smith
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast