Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Maybe create a Petition at one of the websites for that purpose, and all "thousands" of us "sign" it? Looks like they need a little bigger push.
    Its especially worrisome that most (all?) recent Sprint phone releases have #777 disabled, for one [flaky] reason or another...
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    #777 ?
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    #777 ?
    Sorry. Sloppy notation on my part. I should have said Dial Up Networking (DUN).
    So I just received a call from a very pleasant lady named Kelly who told me that she works in Mr. Forsee's office. Mr. Forsee forwarded my email to her and asked that she research the situation and give me an update. Kelly indicated that she has made inquiries to the appropriate departments and hopes to get back to me this morning some time.

Stay tuned...
    Quote Originally Posted by CambAngst
    So I just received a call from a very pleasant lady named Kelly who told me that she works in Mr. Forsee's office. Mr. Forsee forwarded my email to her and asked that she research the situation and give me an update. Kelly indicated that she has made inquiries to the appropriate departments and hopes to get back to me this morning some time.

Stay tuned...
    Woohoo! Can't wait! 'cept it looks like its past morning back east... Sigh.
    OK, sorry not to get this up yesterday, but the call came late in the afternoon and I had to run out of work early.

Kelly was profusely apologetic for not getting back to me until the afternoon, but she apparently did a lot of calling around. She told me that she spoke to the project lead on the forthcoming software update for the Treo 650. She learned two things of great importance:

(1) Bluetooth DUN is in the update as it currently exists

(2) The release is slated for the second quarter. She pressed the project lead a bit on this point and he told her that he expects the release date to be closer to June 30 than to today, but they hope that they will get it out before June 30.

Another point I brought up was why there hadn't been any sort of announcement posted to the Sprint PCS web site about forthcoming support for Bluetooth DUN. Kelly agreed that was a good point and said she'd bring it up with the head of the Treo support team.

So, all-around pretty good news. Kelly further committed that she would keep asking questions and that, should she find out that the release date was going to slip or the DUN functionality was going to get dropped from this release, she would call me back. I also have her direct number. (Which I am going to refrain from posting here out of respect for the amazing job she has done digging up all this info)

I, for one, have to say that I have never been so impressed with the effort a single individual within a gigantic organization was willing to put into answering a question from a customer. (albeit, emailed to their CEO ) I have a new appreciation for Sprint as a company at this point. If I hear anything further, I'll be sure to post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy
    Woohoo! Can't wait! 'cept it looks like its past morning back east... Sigh.
    you should probably write a second letter to the ceo letting him know he has a great employee who really went the extra mile for you. She sounds like a true asset to the Sprint organization.
    joe
    Treo 650 ->Sprint 1.08
    That a great idea. I'll make a point of it this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by broomhead
    you should probably write a second letter to the ceo letting him know he has a great employee who really went the extra mile for you. She sounds like a true asset to the Sprint organization.
    joe
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by broomhead
    joe
    I'm not normally one to give credit to people for just doing their job, but every Sprint CSR I've interacted with has been like that. I don't know what it is, but aside from the occasional "please buy our long distance" pleas, dealing with Sprint reps has been very enjoyable. Of course, I'm coming from AT&T / Cingular in the past, so maybe I have a perspective problem... But come on, the CEO actually writes someone back in response to their concerns? That's almost unheard of in this day and age.
    I just finally gave up, and purchased the PDAnet software. I tried (not much effort though) to get the free patch to work, but no success.

The PDAnet software works like a charm (except that I have to enable/disable the com port) between sync. and PDAnet use for bluetooth. If I don't, I get an error message that says the com port is in use.

So it cost me money, but I do like the PDAnet SW.
    Treo 650 user since 1/05
    Favorite app. = Pocket Tunes (Streaming audio through Shoutcast.com ).
    Quote Originally Posted by hokey_days
    I just finally gave up, and purchased the PDAnet software. I tried (not much effort though) to get the free patch to work, but no success.

So it cost me money, but I do like the PDAnet SW.
    So..this isn't directed at hokey days in particular, but, at this thread in general. Why is there such a push to put pressure on Sprint to officially enable this? We have solutions now that WORK - the patch or pda net - both are FREE ..to use... You realize when if sprint oficially enables this it will not be free and part of unlimited vision. There is already the headset as a modem plan option which is outrageously priced. Why not let sleeping dogs lie? Continue to fly UTR with the current workarounds... Do not force their hand.

You think PDA Net "cost you money" wait until you get official DUN (free update) and get billed for usage.

Be careful what you wish ask for.
    You're billed for usage either way if you're using data!

The PDAnet software just enables you to use DUN ( bluetooth ) on the Treo
    1 | 2
    oh. yeah. right.
    The DUN hack is buggy for many and for us Mac users, PDA Net is not an option. Also, I'd rather have a tested and Sprint implemented solution. This thing needs to work reliably for me to even consider the changes in my travel bag a successful DUN implementation would permit. I'll just have to wait and see whether the priced charge is worth it.
    I haven't read through all of this thread and I don't eve use Sprint; but, I just wanted to interject a point that explains why the Bluetooth update is only now coming – some 9 months (that is ridiculous) after the initial release of the 650.

PalmOne is releasing a Treo accessory next week called the LifeDrive. This will circumvent any Bluetooth disabling that carriers have introduced, finally allowing/giving the users those Bluetooth(and wi-fi) features that should have originally been included with the Treo.

Sooooo...
    the pressure is on Sprint (PalmOne was actually able to get a leg up on them). They now have no choice but to comply. It is for this reason that I must give Palm credit – but it stops there. We as users are now required to fork over another $500 AND now carry 2 devices once again (that is a cruel twist of fate).

It will also act as that second step that PalmOne officials were talking about in fixing the memory problems of the 650.
    I don't understand how another Palm PDA puts any pressure on Sprint to do anything. I wouldn't call the LifeDrive a Treo Accessory...it's a PDA. Whether it's good or bad I don't know...but it's most certainly not a smartphone.
    Reports also state it contains a small hard drive....great capacity...poor battery life.

This is hardly a Treo 650 "accessory".
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...lifedrive1.jpg
    http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...ife_drive.html
    There was a comment earlier about wanting the Sprint release of DUN because it will have been tested before release. Would that be the same testing that was done before the 600 and 650 were released?

There's a simple reason for the delay in BT DUN for the 650...it's lower on the list of revenue-producing project than other things they have to work on.
    Quote Originally Posted by kschoenberg
    I don't understand how another Palm PDA puts any pressure on Sprint to do anything.
    Ummm, it's like buying a modem for your laptop that lets you use Sprint's data services through your Treo. BAM! Sprints hack at disabling Bluetooth DUN is no longer valid. Just plug your Treo into the LifeDrive and use its wi-fi signal for your laptop.

Oh, but wait. Well, theoretically of course!
    Quote Originally Posted by kschoenberg
    I wouldn't call the LifeDrive a Treo Accessory...it's a PDA.
    Would you call the Treo an accessory then? One of them is an accessory, you tell me which one it is. I mean what the hell are you going to do with wi-fi without a keyboard. HELLOOOOO!

OK. Next thought. The Treo has a camera, buuuuuuuutttt it barely has enough room to store a months worth of calendar appointments. The LifeDrive has 4GB of storage and photo management software – BUT NO CAMERA!
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Would you call the Treo an accessory then? One of them is an accessory, you tell me which one it is. I mean what the hell are you going to do with wi-fi without a keyboard. HELLOOOOO!

OK. Next thought. The Treo has a camera, buuuuuuuutttt it barely has enough room to store a months worth of calendar appointments. The LifeDrive has 4GB of storage and photo management software – BUT NO CAMERA!
    Archie, device you are looking for is "Enfora Wi-Fi Sled for Treo650". Life Drive is a new PDA from PalmOne, first one to have 4GB hard drive build in. According to leaked specs, I do not think it can be used as a modem for Treo650 even in theory. So Treo is not accessory to LifeDrive nor LifeDrive is for Palm. Both are seperate devices where Treo650 is smartphone and LifeDrive is PDA. Hope this helps :-)
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    Hmm... here's a quote directly from the LifeDrive product literature that I am reading right now.

"Or, use Bluetooth to connect to compatible devices nearby—sync with your Bluetooth laptop or dial a Bluetooth phone."

'Course I said this very thing here at TreoCentral OVER 2 months ago before anyone even heard about the LifeDrive. But did anyone believe me?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast