Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Looks to me that there are too many 2nd and 3rd quality softwares out there that cause more problems to 650s than the originally delivered handset.

P1 should create some classification and/or standard/procedure and approve softwares as fully compatible, which guarantees lowest possible headaches.

Softwares that aren't up to standards won't get certified.

Too many applications that may look great are of substandard programming.

Why doesn't P1 create such a kind of "guarantee" for us customers?

Afraid to lose too much biz because of too many substandard-applications?

There should be some code of conduct which protects us little consumers who are the biggest sponsor of P1.
    Good idea, but unfortunately, post-sale, Palm1 doesn't give a crap about the users. What makes you think they would do something like this???
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    Good idea, but unfortunately, post-sale, Palm1 doesn't give a crap about the users. What makes you think they would do something like this???
    This has nothing to do with palmOne caring or not. palmOne has a certified application program, and developers can choose to abide by it or not. I will let developers comment on this, but I imagine its expensive for them and they have to go through some rigorous testing to be "certified". Many developers just choose to develop and publish without this, and we, the users, choose to install without paying attention on whether the application is certified by palmOne or not.

Now, how exactly is that palmOnes fault????
    Well, when you have OS updates what do you expect ?

It is up to the software developers to take responsibilty for their sotware not PalmOne to certify it.

Does anybody remember Win98 to WinXP software compatablilty issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    Nope, unrealistic and quite a dumb idea, it is the software developers that need to do this or loose user's and profits.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    This has nothing to do with palmOne caring or not. palmOne has a certified application program, and developers can choose to abide by it or not. I will let developers comment on this, but I imagine its expensive for them and they have to go through some rigorous testing to be "certified". Many developers just choose to develop and publish without this, and we, the users, choose to install without paying attention on whether the application is certified by palmOne or not.

Now, how exactly is that palmOnes fault????
    The way I read the OP was as if Palm should maintain some kind of list of commonly used Treo 650 programs that were "certified" to work w/o problem on the unit..

Do ya really think Palm gives a **** about us in general? It's pretty obvious they dont.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Nope, unrealistic and quite a dumb idea, it is the software developers that need to do this or loose user's and profits.
    No need to call his idea dumb.

They may have guidlines, but they need something like Microsoft does..... XP certified, etc.. Palm certified, 650 compatible, whatever.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    If they did something like this it wouldn't guarantee anything. Microsoft has one and I'm sure we all know how well that works.

Joe
    Yes, but given the loss of skill at PalmOne, that would probably take their whole talent base just to certify software.

Leaving nothing for research, development, custome service, technical support, etc..etc..

How much do you think that one guy can do ?
    http://www.microsoft.com/winlogo/software/default.mspx

You cannot use the MS XP logo w/o following the guidlines. MS gives you an application testing tool, etc.. If you use the "cerified on XP" logo w/o passing all the guidelines, I'm sure they come after you.

MS doesn't want software developers writing crappy software and making Microsoft and and their OS look bad.

Lousy Palm software makes users unhappy, makes the Treo look bad, makes Palm look bad, etc. We need "Treo Certified" logos damnit
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    A certification sure would help. If an application is named compatible by P1, this means stronger sales for the little software company. But then again, of the many thousands of applications available most of them would fade away because of, well, no proper compatibility.