1.    #1  
    Sorry for the extreme newbie question, but I just received my 650 and I am trying to figure out how to download mp3's from my desktop to my SD card. Do I need a card reader or can I just use the sync cable?
    You can use either a card reader or invest in card export..
    What is a card reader or card export? If I get this....are the songs I download to my ipod mp3's? I know I am an *****. All I want is a motown tune for my phone ringer.
    Tina Beaner
    Quote Originally Posted by santinas
    What is a card reader or card export? If I get this....are the songs I download to my ipod mp3's? I know I am an *****. All I want is a motown tune for my phone ringer.

CardExport

and a card reader is something that plugs into the USB port of your PC. Depending on which you get, it'll read/write to any combo of SD, CF, Mem. Sticks, etc.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I went and got a card reader and plugged it into my usb. I go to windows media player and when I try to sync it does not see any device. It will not see my treo in the cradle or the memory card in the reader. Now what????
    Tina Beaner
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by santinas
    I went and got a card reader and plugged it into my usb. I go to windows media player and when I try to sync it does not see any device. It will not see my treo in the cradle or the memory card in the reader. Now what????

I bought my card reader yesterday and it works fine. What operating system are you using? If it is Windows 2000 or later it should load the device driver automatically. If you have Windows 98, your card reader should have come with a CD to install the drivers. Once the driver is installed, you should be able to click on "My Computer" and see the reader listed.
    I use both a card reader and card export... Since the USB connection on the Treo is slow, I use the reader if I have a bunch to transfer... For little stuff I use card export. That's some awesome software!!!

Does anyone know if the USB connection on the 650 is any faster?

Thanks,
    Joe Molenski
    http://www.treotones.com
    Sharp Wizard:menu:HP 200lx:menu:HP 320lx:menu:Rex
    PalmVx:menu:Visor Prism w/VisorPhone:menu:Nokia 9290:menu:Treo 270:menu:Treo 600
    You should be able to add the .mp3 file to your Palm Quick Install program. There are two windows, one up top for files to install into RAM and the area below is for files you want to move to your SD card.

I also use Card Export II, but mostly for computers that do not have my hot sync manager on it. This allows my SD card in my Treo to look like a USB drive.
    You need to put the mp3's into a folder called audio on the sd card. When you have your sd card in the card reader, goto my computer and it should show up (D, E, F, etc), make a folder in it called Audio and put your mp3's in that folder. Then put the card into your treo and open real player or ptunes. Now you should beable to play the mp3's. Real player will detect it automatically, I'm not sure on ptunes, you might need to create a playlist.
    If you use Pocket Tunes it will sync with WMP.
    Or you can just use quick install to copy to SD.
    You can move the folder to the card through Quick Installer. It will create an audio folder for you.
    If you use the sync thru the treo, it does take awhile, its a lot faster to use the card reader.