Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Hey all, I've been using PTunes deluxe for a bit now, and love being able to stream live internet radio over it. However, the one station I'd love to be able to listen to isn't available on Shoutcast. (which is where I normally go to stream other stations)

The url is www.kfan.com/listen.asx. I've tried navigating to this site with my Treo 600, but I get an error message stating that the format is not supported. When I visit this site on my PC, it pops open Windows Media Player and works great.

So what I'm wondering is what is the best way to get this live stream to my Treo? Do I have to go through the whole process of setting up my Shoutcast server and then somehow "broadcast" it to my Treo? Is there a simpler way of doing this??

TIA
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Bump, anyone?
    Man, talk to me if you get it figured out....we have the same problem here. If RealPlayer could stream, it would be great or if pTunes would interpret *.ram format.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Well, I can ALMOST stream any asx source to my Treo, so maybe someone can figure out the rest of it.

First of all, I am using Winamp with the wma plugin to decode the stream, and the shoutcast server and winamp shoutcast plugin to broadcast the stream in a format that Pockettunes can access.

To open asx streams in Winamp, look here:
    http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....&postid=968970

Winamp works wonderfully to stream almost whatever I want to my Treo.. I can even access my PC using palmVNC and set up playlists.

The problem lies with the wma decoder plugin in Winamp.. when you play any wma source, it bypasses the shoutcast output... and you get... silence.

Any thoughts??

cheers,

John
    I'd Paypal $20 to anyone who can provide me with foolproof walk through directions to stream this internet radio to my Treo...

http://www.1540theticket.com/main.html
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    2 things, happened to be browsing and saw this posted:

#1 some shoutcast stations do not allow "re-broadcast", meaning that if you want to broadcast something to your treo, it won't let you. i think the trick around this is instead of using the encoder to encode "stream 1", have it encode what it HEARS throuhg the speakers.

same thing with that sportstalkshow. since it is RealPlayer, you have to open the stream in realplayer. then open up your shoutcast encoding and have it encode what comes through the speakers, basically, this includes beeps or im sounds your computer might alert you to also. i never had a problem re=encoding wma streams, and i know i had them. tell me if this works, if not, i will look more into it
    sledgie
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    biochemgod,
    try this. in winamp, open the stream using the url of the wma
    then, play the stream, and goto your encoder settings, and try what i stated above. it should work. i used to stream audio from asf and wmv streams, and would open the video in the window , play it off my desktop, stream it to treo
    sledgie
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    2 things, happened to be browsing and saw this posted:
    same thing with that sportstalkshow. since it is RealPlayer, you have to open the stream in realplayer. then open up your shoutcast encoding and have it encode what comes through the speakers, basically, this includes beeps or im sounds your computer might alert you to also. i never had a problem re=encoding wma streams, and i know i had them. tell me if this works, if not, i will look more into it
    sledgie
    You lost me...or were you responding to someone else?

You're saying I need to have the link open on my PC along with whatever other software I need to stream it? How I do the "other" things....is what I'll pay $20 for!
    I'll try that out when I get the chance.. it may be that I need to use something other than the Winamp shoutcast plugin, because I don't remember seeing any choice when it came to where to intercept the sound.

OK!!!! Figured it out!!!

You have to configure the Shoutcast server to utilize the soundcard output, like Sledgie mentioned (THANKS!). The trick is... that you have to go into your soundcard's mixer panel, open the "recording control panel", make sure in your properties that all of the possible options are shown, and finally choose "stereo mix" as the input source. Obviously, "stereo mix" is the direct output of the soundcard (it may have a different name depending on your soundcard).

Works like a charm!
    MVT... it is possible, because I'm doing it right now thanks to Sledgie. I will give this a try.. but not for the $20, because it is tough to make it foolproof.

First, you need to download and install a few things.

1. Winamp version 5, find it here:
    http://www.winamp.com/player/free.php

2. Shoutcast Winamp plugin, find it here:
    http://www.shoutcast.com/downloads/s...2b-windows.exe

3. Shoutcast Streaming Server software to re-broadcast the stream:
    http://www.shoutcast.com/downloads/s...-5-windows.exe

4. Of course, RealPlayer.. but I imagine you already have this.

OK, installing Winamp and the Shoutcast Winamp plugin is easy. Installing and configuring the Shoutcast Win32 server is trickier (made more tricky if you have a router at home).

To get the ball rolling, open the radio station in RealPlayer. Then open Winamp, go to preferences, and under DSP/effect, choose the Shoutcast server. This will open the Shoutcast Source control panel (which will stay open as you broadcast).

Click the input tab, select SOUNDCARD INPUT as the Input Device. As I mentioned in the last post, you have to configure your recording panel to use the "stereo mixer". To do this, click the "open mixer" button on the Shoutcast control panel, go into the mixer properties, choose recording, make sure the "stereo mixer" box is checked, then click OK. This will bring up the recording control, then check the box under "stereo mixer" to choose it as the input. (phew)

Back to the Shoutcast Source control panel... click the encoder tab, make sure that encoder 1 is set to MP3, 24kbps mono. Click the output tab, click the connect at startup box, click the Yellow Pages button and enter the information for your server (this will show up in Pockettunes). Then click the "connection" button, the address is localhost, the port is 8000, and the password is changeme (changeme is the default Server password, you can change this later), and choose encoder 1.

Now for the Shoutcast streaming server. Install and run the server program in C:\Program Files\SHOUTcast\sc_serv.exe. As soon as it's running, the Winamp shoutcast plugin should be able to connect. You'll know its working when the status of the plugin shows bytes being sent (if you are still playing the radio station!).

You are now streaming your soundcard output out over the internet!! If you don't have a router, you can now direct Pockettunes to your computer's IP address on port 8000, which should look something like this (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8000).

If you do have a router, you'll have to configure it to forward ports 8000 and 8001 to your computer, and you'll have to direct Pockettunes to your router's external IP address. If you are running a firewall (like the built-in firewall with WindowsXP SP2), you'll have to grant access to ports 8000 and 8001.

GOOD LUCK! I am loving it so far...
    I'll try it when I get home...and if it works, I'll send you dough!
    Well....everything worked great until I got to the router part!

I have no idea how to change the router settings :-(
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Wow, I left for a few days, came back and this thread exploded! I can,t wait to try this out, thanks everyone!!

MNT, what brand of router do you have? Usually you can access the router's setup page by going to 192.168.0.1. There should be a section called port fowarding, which is where you'll want to go to forward ports 8000 8001 to your pc.
    Its a fairly old router (D-Link 713P) and I know I can access the setup screen with that number because I tried to set up my sons XBox Live once and ended up locking myself out of the internet and needing to call my computer guy to set it up again :-/.

I will look for Port Forwarding...do I forward to my IP address?
    Yes, you need to forward those ports to your ip address.
    Ok to forward to your ports of 8000 and 8001, type 192.168.0.1 into your address bar on ie. Then type admin for username and leave password blank. Click advance, then click virtual server. Click new entry, enter 8000-8001 into the service ports box. Enter you pc's ip address into server ip box. Make sure enable is checked. Click save, then reboot. This should allow ports 8000 and 8001 to be forward to your pc. I found this at the d-links website. You can also upgrade your routers firmware to allow new features. The link is http://support.dlink.com/products/vi...ctid=DI%2D713P
    I think its set up right on my router page....but then do I set pTunes to look at my 192.168.0.2:8000 or my fixed IP for my internet connection? Neither seems to work. Tried both now. I've done something wrong. Maybe I need to wait for pTunes to just stream real audio directly.
    Don't give up yet!!

All you have to do is point PTunes at your router's "external" IP address at port 8000.

The quickest way to find that out...
    http://computercops.biz/modules.php?name=Reveal_IP

Let us know how it works out..
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger
    Ok to forward to your ports of 8000 and 8001, type 192.168.0.1 into your address bar on ie. Then type admin for username and leave password blank. Click advance, then click virtual server. Click new entry, enter 8000-8001 into the service ports box. Enter you pc's ip address into server ip box. Make sure enable is checked. Click save, then reboot. This should allow ports 8000 and 8001 to be forward to your pc. I found this at the d-links website. You can also upgrade your routers firmware to allow new features. The link is http://support.dlink.com/products/vi...ctid=DI%2D713P
    For port, do I type in "8000-8001" or did you mean make one entry for 8000 and another entry for 8001...or did you mean to decide one or the other?
    I also use no-ip.com . This way, I point pockettunes to xxx.no-ip.com:8000.

Works great. (I am not a fan of the lag but that is what I deal with). I have used this to stream mlb.com audio streams to my treo while I was laying out in central park.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast