1.    #1  
    Ok, what the hell is going on. When I send an email to a contact in my address book, I get an error in VersaMail saying:

501 bad address syntx: <>

Anyone else have this issue? The <> are automatically added into the email list be default like this:

"John Doe" <john@company.com>

How do I fix this?
    When you lookup a contact to insert the address, VersaMail appends a semicolon as a separator, in case you wanted to add more addresses (even though the rest of the world uses commas -- don't get me started on the horrible usability design). While it's intended to be helpful, appending the semicolon is somewhat brain-dead, as it should only be inserted if you add subsequent addresses. (I'm warning you, don't get me going on this.) So now, VersaMail thinks you have a second address after the first one... but wait, it's empty! Oh no, let's warn the user -- better not use English, though. Let's just display an inscrutable error message right out of the RFC for SMTP! All users read IETF RFCs, don't they? AAaarggh!! (Okay, see what you did?)

Anyway, the solution is, after you lookup the address, just press the backspace key to delete the semicolon.

Whew. I feel drained.
  3.    #3  
    Idoron, please explain to me what you mean about the semicolon and why it has to be inserted.

Just playing! Thanks Idoron, I followed what you said by removing the semicolon and it worked just great. I thought since the error said the <> was wrong, that it would be rediculous to have to remove the <> each time I send an email.

Anyway, thanks again and go take a load off!
    I don't delete the semicolon and it works fine. I tried it in pop and exchange. What smtp server are you using?
  5.    #5  
    i am using 1and1.com, but the issue comes up when I send. This is an extremely odd bug. I didn't have this problem with my 600.
    I use 1&1 too and I do suffer from this problem. it is extremely annoying.

I think it only happens if you have selected "BCC sent to yourself " too. Still doesn't explain why it happens and why Palm don't fix it?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by luciwap
    I use 1&1 too and I do suffer from this problem. it is extremely annoying.

I think it only happens if you have selected "BCC sent to yourself " too. Still doesn't explain why it happens and why Palm don't fix it?
    I BCC to my gmail account where I backup all my outgoing messages. You do have to delete the semi-colen at the end or the last email address before sending messages out on any account, not just 1and1 (from my testing). Its weird as hell, but its a quick workaround. You'll get used to it just like you'll get used to how slow this phone really is.